Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Storing a gun loaded w/kids in the house

I'll have to echo his comments.

(Chester County)

Nightstand gun is a Glock 19 in a v-line (push button combo - no battery) safe. Loaded mag in gun, no round chambered. Yes I consider having to rack the slide as a last ditch defense in case somehow my 4 yr old gains access. This is the setup I am comfortable with.

If you have a biometric Gun Vault, then I don't think it matters too much what is in it. The fact that it requires a fingerprint should keep anyone whose fingerprint isn't stored in the GunVault's memory out of the safe alltogether.

Remember that this is not a "Which nightstand gun..." thread, but a "How best to store a loaded firearm with little kids in the house" thread.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Berks County)

In case anyone cares I tried to get my GunVault (multideluxe) to malfunction like the YouTUbe video and I was NOT able to do so.

(Allegheny County)

Best thing is to keep it locked in a vault/safe, out of reach and if possible out of sight. Does not matter what kind of gun you have, no gun is child proof and I don't care what some posters say.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    If you have a biometric Gun Vault, then I don't think it matters too much what is in it. The fact that it requires a fingerprint should keep anyone whose fingerprint isn't stored in the GunVault's memory out of the safe alltogether.

Remember that this is not a "Which nightstand gun..." thread, but a "How best to store a loaded firearm with little kids in the house" thread.
    I hear those biometric safes are slow to open and unreliable, do you have one, if so, do you like it?

I think which nightstand gun came up because it is possible a kid could "guess" the correct code to a gunvault. So that being the case are you better off not chambering a round, using a revo with a longer/heavier trigger pull than an auto, or just trusting the odds are too low for them to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    I call bull$hit. Just man up and say you can't stand your wife
    Hhmmm.....
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    BULLSHIT

Seriously...my kids have those old metal cap guns (the REAL metal ones, not half plastic), and the trigger pull on that is equal to the pull on my S&W 642.

EVERY one of my kids can pull those toy gun triggers with NO problem whatsoever. That made my jaw drop when I compared the trigger pulls, even my 3 year old can pull the trigger without much effort.

DO NOT underestimate the strength of your kids, and what they may or may not do. That's part of why little kids end up dead, or wind up shooting their brothers/sisters.

I know I like to joke and fuck around, but I'm as serious as I can be on this. THEY CAN pull a DA trigger because kids are determined.

camper

Bravo. At least one person in this thread has a little common sense. This thread is a fucking joke. There is no such thing as a "more kid safe" gun. Are you kidding me? You're going to rely on a heavy trigger pull? I'm fucking speechless.

You know how you keep a child from shooting a gun? You deny them access! One should never think "Oh, well, if they get to my gun they won't be able to pull the trigger." They should never get to your gun. This isn't hard people. You find a quick opening safe or lockbox that works well and you place a loaded, charged, reliable firearm in it. Simple as that. And if you think your children are going to accidentally figure out a safe combination... Get something with a key. Slows you down, but hey, whatever makes you feel safe.
    Last edited by rwb1500; August 25th, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

BULLSHIT

Seriously...my kids have those old metal cap guns (the REAL metal ones, not half plastic), and the trigger pull on that is equal to the pull on my S&W 642.

EVERY one of my kids can pull those toy gun triggers with NO problem whatsoever. That made my jaw drop when I compared the trigger pulls, even my 3 year old can pull the trigger without much effort.

DO NOT underestimate the strength of your kids, and what they may or may not do. That's part of why little kids end up dead, or wind up shooting their brothers/sisters.

I know I like to joke and fuck around, but I'm as serious as I can be on this. THEY CAN pull a DA trigger because kids are determined.

camper
    Bravo. At least one person in this thread has a little common sense. This thread is a fucking joke. There is no such thing as a "more kid safe" gun. Are you kidding me? You're going to rely on a heavy trigger pull? I'm fucking speechless.

You know how you keep a child from shooting a gun? You deny them access! One should never think "Oh, well, if they get to my gun they won't be able to pull the trigger." They should never get to your gun. This isn't hard people. You find a quick opening safe or lockbox that works well and you place a loaded, charged, reliable firearm in it. Simple as that. And if you think your children are going to accidentally figure out a safe combination... Get something with a key. Slows you down, but hey, whatever makes you feel safe.
    In agreement with the two above posts 100%!
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Montgomery County)

I don't think anyone was relying on heavy trigger pull or endorsing others do the same. A few people just pointed out it was an added benefit of certain types of firearms.

It's pretty impressive how quickly some of you guys blow things out of proportion to go ape shit and attack something. Maybe you should buy a stress ball or something.

Obviously a safely locked and unloaded firearm is the safest and only safe firearm.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast