Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Storing a gun loaded w/kids in the house

I would go with your .357 Magnum. Load it up with good 125gr hollowpoints, toss a few speed loaders with it in the vault, and call it a day.

I would personally get at least a front sight tritium night sight installed though, on whatever pistol i chose. A light/laser combo is even better.

This is my HD nightstand gun.

HK P7 with Viridian C5L 100 lumen light/strobe/green day laser

The Viridian is backed up by tritium 3 dot night sights. For HD duty i keep it loaded with Corbon Powrball 100gr+P. It's a lightweight non bonded core design at nearly 1500fps, so overpenetration will be very minimal.

If money were no object and you wanted absolute maximum anti-child safety, it is my firm opinion that the HK P7 has no peer. It's squeezecocker would literally be impossible for any kid under 6 to manipulate, and probably a lot older for some kids.

It's interesting listening to what other people use, and why. Lot of good posts in this thread.
    Last edited by Valorius; August 25th, 2011 at 04:38 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PirateSteve View Post
    I'll disagree with the revolver crowd. A reliable high capacity semi auto gives a number of advantages. First it can carry more rounds. Hopefully youll never need to fire a shot but if you do, the more rounds you have and the easier it is to reload the better. Also you can fit a light to most modern semi autos, which should be a requirement to a nightstand gun (as should be a handheld light...2 is better than 1 and you don't want to shine a weapon mounted light at friendlies). Like the light, a laser is a huge advantage at night when Target identification is critical. While a revolver has a higher trigger pull, kids can be amazingly strong and I wouldn't bet on the pull weight as any kind of safety device. In my opinion a flock, m&p, xd, or any similar proven duty style gun with a light and laser attached would be ideal for your requirements, along with a propper safe (biometric?).

Another thing to make sure your family has is a plan of action so you know where each family member should be or go if a break in or other emergency happens. Hopefully you'll never need to use it for real
    A few points of contention here:

Statistics show most self defense shootings require 3-4 shots. 15 rounds is great for a carry gun and no-one can dispute that, but in your own home the fewer holes in the walls the better. 6 rounds should be plenty sufficient especially since in most recorded stories the perp either flees at the sight or sound of the firearm.

Turn a lamp on. Rail mounted flashlights are cool and have distinct advantages, but this really isn't one of them. Flashlights are generally useful because they're mobile and easily transportable and function when other lights fail. At home chances are the lamps will work fine, and even if they dont a hand-held flashlight work as well. In fact, you could use a flashlight attachment as a handheld flashlight. I do it all of the time. It works just as well in your hand as it does mounted to the rail of a semi-auto.

3. Kids can be strong, but in most cases their hands are just physically too small to get enough leverage to actuate the triggering mechanism. Yes, it's possible, but they cant hold and shoot a gun the same way an adult would. The more difficult trigger pull in addition to preventing children form using it without vice-grips also keeps a sleepy home-defender from NDing as easily.

(Montgomery County)

If you want a duty style gun that has a manual safety the smith and season m&p can be had with a safety similar to a,1911. I think the Springfield xd can too. Both are grunt reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    3. Kids can be strong, but in most cases their hands are just physically too small to get enough leverage to actuate the triggering mechanism. Yes, it's possible, but they cant hold and shoot a gun the same way an adult would. The more difficult trigger pull in addition to preventing children form using it without vice-grips also keeps a sleepy home-defender from NDing as easily.
    I am in total agreement here.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Because of an attempted break-in, gutters stolen off the neighbor's house, and a 0-level street dealer whom I helped the cops bust, ALL shortly after we moved here, I now sleep downstairs - in my office - in my barcolounger, with the 1911 cocked & locked, on a low table on the side of the chair away from the interior of the house.

This arrangement is NOT for everybody, but it keeps everyone HERE safe - small kids included.
    I call bull$hit. Just man up and say you can't stand your wife

(Centre County)

Also, some ppl have mentioned having 17 rounds and having a backup 33 round Glock mag in the drawer and 4 guns stached in their sleeping pants and etc, etc. In the back of my mind, I'm not "clearing my house" with the revolver or SA in the drawer, the revolver in the drawer gets you to the shotgun in the safe and the phone to call 911. That's my plan.

Just a thought.......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Philadelphia County)

Kids are also curious and ingenious at times. You know what makes it easier to squeeze that trigger? Putting the butt against the ground and pressing down on the trigger with their thumbs.

No one should be relying on trigger pull as a child safety device.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Because of an attempted break-in, gutters stolen off the neighbor's house, and a 0-level street dealer whom I helped the cops bust, ALL shortly after we moved here, I now sleep downstairs - in my office - in my barcolounger, with the 1911 cocked & locked, on a low table on the side of the chair away from the interior of the house. My gun cabinet is beside me, and ALL my other 1911's are cocked and locked inside it. My rifles and shotguns are loaded, but with empty chambers; all are locked inside, with the key left IN the main cabinet door, so I can get to the long guns if necessary, without fumbling around.

This arrangement is NOT for everybody, but it keeps everyone HERE safe - small kids included.
    Leon? Is that you?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

A few points of contention here:

Statistics show most self defense shootings require 3-4 shots. 15 rounds is great for a carry gun and no-one can dispute that, but in your own home the fewer holes in the walls the better. 6 rounds should be plenty sufficient especially since in most recorded stories the perp either flees at the sight or sound of the firearm.

Turn a lamp on. Rail mounted flashlights are cool and have distinct advantages, but this really isn't one of them. Flashlights are generally useful because they're mobile and easily transportable and function when other lights fail. At home chances are the lamps will work fine, and even if they dont a hand-held flashlight work as well. In fact, you could use a flashlight attachment as a handheld flashlight. I do it all of the time. It works just as well in your hand as it does mounted to the rail of a semi-auto.

This is all true, and I wouldn't want to debate those facts. However, just keep an open mind on the following perspectives:

1: "most self defense shootings require 3-4 shots"

What happens when you're not one of those involved in "most" situations? It's far better to have too much than not enough.

2: I think turning lamps on is a great idea. Having an intruder system that lights the house up like a Christmas tree is even better. However,

What if the power's out for some reason or the bulb doesn't light up when you flick the switch? Mr. Murphy likes to play that way. Also, darkness CAN (not always though) be your friend when you've got the home field advantage.

3: "Yes, it's possible, but they cant hold and shoot a gun the same way an adult would"

THIS is exactly what you're trying to avoid. The ONLY way that a child cannot fire a gun is to ensure they don't have access. Once access is gained, all bets are off. Trigger weight is NOT, NEVER, EVER a safety. It might be an obstacle, but it is certainly not a block.

(I apologize if my wording and / or attitude comes off rough, but I just got back from the sandbox, and gray areas with weapon usage and safety was not somewhere we went. Hope I'm not getting under anyone's skin! lol)

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    Personally, if I had to choose between A revolver and a G17 for nightstand duty with young kids in the house, I'd pick the revolver. In my mind, the DA pull or cocking the hammer would be too difficult for a 3 yr old. Keep it in the vault or safe when it's not on your person, of course.
    BULLSHIT

Seriously...my kids have those old metal cap guns (the REAL metal ones, not half plastic), and the trigger pull on that is equal to the pull on my S&W 642.

EVERY one of my kids can pull those toy gun triggers with NO problem whatsoever. That made my jaw drop when I compared the trigger pulls, even my 3 year old can pull the trigger without much effort.

DO NOT underestimate the strength of your kids, and what they may or may not do. That's part of why little kids end up dead, or wind up shooting their brothers/sisters.

I know I like to joke and fuck around, but I'm as serious as I can be on this. THEY CAN pull a DA trigger because kids are determined.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast