Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Going Sight-less

So, I've never been able to hit the broad side of a barn with my Beretta PX4 Storm sub compact - despite replacing sights, etc.. I was going to trade or sell it, but I don't want to give it away. So, I decided to remove the sights and keep it for a night stand gun, occassioanal carry gun, etc.. I figure if I have to shoot quick, I'm not going to aim much anyway. My question - is there anything that would be good to fill in the dove tail type opening where the sights came out of ? I was thinking of dremeling down one pair of the sights I have, but thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Going Sight-less

Can you hit the broad side of a barn with other firearms?
    Junior

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    That would be my first question.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    So, I've never been able to hit the broad side of a barn with my Beretta PX4 Storm sub compact - despite replacing sights, etc.. I was going to trade or sell it, but I don't want to give it away. So, I decided to remove the sights and keep it for a night stand gun, occassioanal carry gun, etc.. I figure if I have to shoot quick, I'm not going to aim much anyway. My question - is there anything that would be good to fill in the dove tail type opening where the sights came out of ? I was thinking of dremeling down one pair of the sights I have, but thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks
    To answer your question, I'd say that using the base of existing sights would be the easiest... especially if you already own a set.

That being said, to put it bluntly, it seems like a ridiculous idea to me. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? If you think it's going to be more snag-free, I suppose it would be slightly. But if you wanted to save a teeny bit of gas, you could remove the side mirrors from your car... it doesn't make it a worthwhile idea.

No matter how fast I'm shooting, if I'm not firing from retention, I'm using the sights. It just takes practice. While there are probably some merits to practicing "point shooting", there is no way I would want any pistol larger than I teeny pocket pistol (where the small sights and extremely short sight radius make them almost useless) without useable sights... regardless of if I choose to use them or not. I don't consider the PX4 subcompact to fit this category (more like a Keltec P3AT -- but I would still try to use those sights).

Once again, not to seem harsh, but I'm going to have to +1 the other posts... how's your general marksmanship? Asking for a method to remove one of the most important parts of the gun is kind of a bizarre question.

Going without sights just sounds like a bad idea. Would a laser sight help? I imagine Crimson Trace makes a laser set up for that gun. The Crimson Trace laser has done wonders for me with my LCP which has stock sights that leave quite a bit to be desired. YMMV.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Yes, I have dozens of pistols and am fairly accurate with all of them. Usually at 25 feet I can get a 3-4" grouping on anything I shoot - just not the Beretta. When I put the adjustable sights on it, I had to adjust the elevation all the way up, and the windage almost all the way over right to get any kind of grouping at all !

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    To answer your question, I'd say that using the base of existing sights would be the easiest... especially if you already own a set.

That being said, to put it bluntly, it seems like a ridiculous idea to me. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? If you think it's going to be more snag-free, I suppose it would be slightly. But if you wanted to save a teeny bit of gas, you could remove the side mirrors from your car... it doesn't make it a worthwhile idea.

No matter how fast I'm shooting, if I'm not firing from retention, I'm using the sights. It just takes practice. While there are probably some merits to practicing "point shooting", there is no way I would want any pistol larger than I teeny pocket pistol (where the small sights and extremely short sight radius make them almost useless) without useable sights... regardless of if I choose to use them or not. I don't consider the PX4 subcompact to fit this category (more like a Keltec P3AT -- but I would still try to use those sights).

Once again, not to seem harsh, but I'm going to have to +1 the other posts... how's your general marksmanship? Asking for a method to remove one of the most important parts of the gun is kind of a bizarre question.
    I hear ya - I guess I am just so annoyed with this pistol, I went with "I'll make it a snag free pistol and remove the sights seeing they are not good for me anyway". The Beretta adjustable sights were huge and goofy looking - so maybe I'll just put the stock sights back on and / or get a laser

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Yes, I have dozens of pistols and am fairly accurate with all of them. Usually at 25 feet I can get a 3-4" grouping on anything I shoot - just not the Beretta. When I put the adjustable sights on it, I had to adjust the elevation all the way up, and the windage almost all the way over right to get any kind of grouping at all !
    Sounds like they should be your bedside guns, or occasional carry guns. Not all systems work for your ergonomics. If it doesnt, sell it, move on.

(Allegheny County)

+1 to sell it (un-molested) and move on.

(Cumberland County)

Yeah, worried about losing $100 bucks or so but in the mean time, give myself an ulcer over it - lol. Thanks all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast