Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default ACT 235 Employment

This is my first post but I have read this forum a great deal and it seems like there are a lot of good people here. I want to give a little background on who I am and what brings me to this crossroads in my life.

I am 34 with two wonderful kids, a great wife, house and dog. I am just a white picket fence away from the perfect American family (although, I have a very nice vinyl fence in my yard).

I have three college degrees (Sociology, Criminal Justice and Social Science Education). I am certified in a variety of areas and sit in front of this computer without a job. Part of this reason is due to the less than stellar economy in central PA and an equal part is due to some personal hurdles at home; namely, my wife being in Grad-school and working full time. With two young kids someone needs to stay home to watch them.

None-the-less, I find myself looking at the ACT 235 certification in hopes of using this as a springboard into employment. I have no doubt that I would handle the academics of this certification with ease and I shoot well enough that I would not be worried about the qualifing at the range. The fee being only $300 and the time being only 40 hours does not seem like a huge problem but I would not look forward to obtaining yet another certification to only go to waist. This leads me to my basic question.........

What sort of employment awaits an ACT 235, college educated 34 year old who has a huge amount of experience in managment, teaching and counseling? I am from Central PA (Lock Haven, Williamsport, State College Area).

Thanks in advance, Slippery

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: ACT 235 Employment

This is strictly an opinion but over the years I have had a lot of contact with 235 security guys...it is a thankless, underpaid with no authority position.
    I would think with your background a supervisory position with a security agency would certainlly be a possibility. Good Luck

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: ACT 235 Employment

What Capitol Cop said!!!!!!!!!! ACT 235 folks only make between $7-$15 per hour ...check out your local hospitals, mfg plants , nuke plants and colleges.

(Northampton County)

I live in Easton, PA completed Act 235 in Jan. 2011 and got a job driving an armored truck for $10.00 hr. but only part time about 25-30 hrs. a week. But I had no job so it is better than nothing while I keep looking. Easton Hospital and Northamptom Community College both have un-armed guards, maybe it is different near you. Best of luck.

(Montgomery County)

Like others have said most Act 235 jobs are thankless, however if you look at the possible route of Executive Protection or other similar jobs, the pay is better as well. Without any experience it might be hard to break into the field of work, but it is possible. I am not sure about companies in that specific are of PA, but with some digging you might be able to find something. I can try and use some contacts to see if any companies are in that area and if they are looking for people.

(Delaware County)

ive had a 235 for years.
    plenty of low paying, crap jobs out there.
    you can make nice cash at nightclubs in the less pleasant parts of philadelphia, best to be comforatable getting into fights though. the line between 235 agent and thuggery gets really blurred sometimes.
    its hard to find something steady though, its typically they will call if they need you. most guys do other stuff during the day.
    THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

(Washington County)

its something thats nice to have but with all the cutbacks theres also alot of comp with actual leo s sometimes . as far as executive/ corporate protection those mostly require lot of exp ex military / swat and know certain people its not easy to get into. reg 235 jobs are like others said mostly crap jobs most around here are housing and hospitals some places want 235 but dont want you to be armed also. the 300 dollar fee more than likely does not include your pysch fees or state police fees either hope if this helps

(Pike County)

Chances are that the $300 also does not include your ammo. How much $$ depends on what the the school requires you to shoot ammo wise (reloads or new), the caliber you shoot, and how many rounds.
    The one I went to allowed reloads, and wanted you to have 250 rounds, but I only shot about 150.
    With notime in security I doubt that many security companies will hire you for management, with or without the sheepskins.
    It should enable you to find an out of hours job, such as a midnight shift, so that you could work while the wife is with the kids. But I am in NEPA and I do not know the job situation in the center of the state. In NEPA we have a lot of private communities that hire 235.

Plus the cost might not include your psych test and physical... along with the fees that the state charges.

(Northampton County)

Not to rain on your cloud, but another cost consideration is the equipment. Some Act 235 schools require you to have a work-appropriate holster and firearm, with 2 spare magazines and a magazine pouch before entering the class... some don't. The total cost of the initial certification can be in the ballpark of just over $1,000 when you factor in the physical and psychological exams, the equipment costs and the cost of the class and ammo. However, the costs can be much, much less if the school provides all of the equipment you will need.

As the others have said, the Act 235 certification will open some doors for you (assuming those types of jobs are hiring in your area), but they don't generally pay a lot and they often involve thankless work with a lot of responsibility and no authority to actually do your job. However, I have found an exception or two.

Something you might want to do first is get a feel for the job market in your area and see if it is worth while to get the Act 235 certification. As was mentioned, some places to check are hospitals, colleges and armored car companies. You might also want to check the phone book and internet for local security companies and find out of they are hiring Act 235 agents. Given your college education and your management experience, perhaps a college would be a very good fit for you?

I am not saying all of this to discourage you, but I want you to go into this with you eyes open and not get partway into this and then realize you just wasted your money. If you do decide to go ahead with this, I wish you all the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast