Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: ACT 235 Employment

Work as an armed guard is out there, you just have to keep your eyes open.

Some of it just sucks, but gets you experience for better gigs down the line.

AG

(Philadelphia County)

One of the issues is that security is seen as an expense, not the commodity it is. The reason for this are the high number of people on the job that are better suited cleaning floors or washing dishes.

In the Philly area, we have a large number of folks with language difficulties that have issues writing reports and those that will not shave or learn any customer service skills, and impersonate Police Officers. As this counter productive behavior, why would a company pay a higher billing rate to a security firm when they will be getting the same assclowns as the lowest bidder?

Local communities have respect for private security in CA and FL. The practice of having private Officers is older than any LE agency, but the industry does not train, educate, or recruit as they should.

There are a few companies that are serious and pay well. Federal contracts and companies that perform executive protection are the ones in which to apply.
    Those who dare.

(Philadelphia County)

I got a private gig doing security for the Mummers Serenade last Saturday... which is good experience ... those mummers can get rowdy! They guy I worked for has a job lined up for me. Thanks for all the input...

But i agree taking a few lower paying jobs to get the experience is better then waiting for the right job...

(Montgomery County)

Little bit late to the party, but check county courthouses. They are municipal jobs and seem to pay in the $20 per hour range.
    Sarcasm: the brain's natural defense against stupidity.

(Northampton County)

My best advice as a person in the security business with a 235 is look at your area first look around at where you normally see armed guards I know in my area the Lehigh Valley there is very little need for 235 agents because of low crime and most companies don't want to carry the insurance when they can just give up the goods and get normal insurance to cover it look around and possibly find a job first some companies will pay for your training but keep in mind I have heard thankless used a lot and it could not be more true also is $7-$15 worth being a target?

Cool Re: ACT 235 Employment

I have been a resident of Pennsylvania for 15 years,In that time what I initially learned early on about ACT 235 even being Ret.LEO ACT 235 was a necessary step to stay armed and work for a company in Pa.A lot of Men & Women got their ACT 235 not because they wanted to be a Gyard their entire life but mor a stepping stone to procuring their ACT 120 eventually while getting the experience in the Security Field.On average out of 25 Security guards,15 would go on to the ACT 120, Of those 15,Ten would wash out of the School,Out of the remaining 5 ONLY 2-3 became PART TIME Police Officers with an average wage of $12-$18 per Hour,Maybe One person after P/T Service in their position would be offered a Full Time Position ! An Easier Route would be,Get your ACT 120,apply to Citys whithin Pa all major ones and if lucky enough to get hired you will make a very good salary,Dont let these stats discourage you they are close to what I have observed over 15 years in PA.ret.leo 25 YEARS ON THE JOB AND rETIRED 14 YEARS.gOOD lUCK jmo !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123