Quote Originally Posted by GunsnGuitars View Post
I found this thread almost by accident and decided to join the forum so that I can possibly get some help on an old BAR I recently acquired. It is a Belgium rifle, with a serial 727** M9. The thing that has me baffled is the '67-'68 models had a 5 digit serial number, followed by the M7 or M8, meaning it was a '67 or '68 year manufacture. Afterwards, starting in '69 they changed the serial numbers that do not match anything I have...The rifle is most definitely a Belgium Browning, and it has the grade 2 engraving with the antelope on the right side of the receiver, and the elk on the left side.

Here's the info from Browning in regards to serial numbers and why I am confused as to why my rifle has the M9 at the end of the serial number, when according to them, the M, followed by a single digit number, being 7 or 8 (again, '67 or '68) were the only year models this was used in their numbering for the BAR...Furthermore, my serial number has a 5 digit number before the M9, when the Browning site shows a 4 digit number before the M- designation...but I realize this could simply be a type-o...

From Browning's site:

"1967-68 BARs had serial numbers that read like this: 1234M8. The number after the M designates the year. 7 means 67. 8 means 68.

Starting in 1969 Browning began the actual number using two digits for the date of manufacture, followed by an M. The number before M is the year.
M=BAR High Power Rifle. This was then followed by the serial number beginning with 1000.
Example: 69M1000 = A 1969 BAR High Power rifle with a serial number of 1000."

I'm completely guessing here, but perhaps this was a late '68 production run for the early '69 guns, and was stamped before they had changed the serial numbers...? I just don't know, and cannot seem to find answers anywhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated. There seems to be a good deal of knowledge about these great old rifles in this forum. Enough to convince me to join! Thanks a bunch.

Matt
Anyone? LOL...I have done my due diligence and I am usually good at figuring things out, but again, I am baffled. This one is a mystery for sure. Oh well, thanks anyway. Looking forward to reading the posts from my 2A brothers North of me!

Matt