Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Default Re: Older Browning Rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by GunsnGuitars View Post
    I found this thread almost by accident and decided to join the forum so that I can possibly get some help on an old BAR I recently acquired. It is a Belgium rifle, with a serial 727** M9. The thing that has me baffled is the '67-'68 models had a 5 digit serial number, followed by the M7 or M8, meaning it was a '67 or '68 year manufacture. Afterwards, starting in '69 they changed the serial numbers that do not match anything I have...The rifle is most definitely a Belgium Browning, and it has the grade 2 engraving with the antelope on the right side of the receiver, and the elk on the left side.

Here's the info from Browning in regards to serial numbers and why I am confused as to why my rifle has the M9 at the end of the serial number, when according to them, the M, followed by a single digit number, being 7 or 8 (again, '67 or '68) were the only year models this was used in their numbering for the BAR...Furthermore, my serial number has a 5 digit number before the M9, when the Browning site shows a 4 digit number before the M- designation...but I realize this could simply be a type-o...

From Browning's site:

"1967-68 BARs had serial numbers that read like this: 1234M8. The number after the M designates the year. 7 means 67. 8 means 68.

Starting in 1969 Browning began the actual number using two digits for the date of manufacture, followed by an M. The number before M is the year.
    M=BAR High Power Rifle. This was then followed by the serial number beginning with 1000.
    Example: 69M1000 = A 1969 BAR High Power rifle with a serial number of 1000."

I'm completely guessing here, but perhaps this was a late '68 production run for the early '69 guns, and was stamped before they had changed the serial numbers...? I just don't know, and cannot seem to find answers anywhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated. There seems to be a good deal of knowledge about these great old rifles in this forum. Enough to convince me to join! Thanks a bunch.

Matt
    Anyone? LOL...I have done my due diligence and I am usually good at figuring things out, but again, I am baffled. This one is a mystery for sure. Oh well, thanks anyway. Looking forward to reading the posts from my 2A brothers North of me!

Matt

I have a similar delima with a browning bolt. Beautiful stock no rust. Seeial 650xx L73. I have owned it for years, just trying to fill in the pieces on model and potential value. I would post pics but have not figured that out yet

(Bucks County)

The rifle was produced in 1973; next to the last year of production. About 1139 rifles were produced that year.Not much more I can tell you.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Hello,
    New to the forum here. I've been researching a gun that I bought from my grandfather years ago when he was unable to hunt any longer, was wondering about some info on it.
    It is stamped Browning Arms Company opposite the bolt side and Made In Finland on the bolt side. It is a .284 Win. Ser # 4668Z5 or 466825.
    Any info would be much appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Jbird16,
    Even though the serial number says Z5 which means 1965 production the rifle according to the records was given the serial number in 1963 and produced in 1964. The factory records, especially for the .284, are not complete. Matt Eastmans' book states that only one .284 was produced in 1965 (according to Browning's records). My Safari .284 #45xxZ5 does not even exist according to Browning's records. That number was given to a Browning BAR. So you see the records are clearly incomplete. But, you do have a rare rifle. Browning produced approximately 350 Safari Grade rifles, 23 Olympian Grade rifles, and 20 Medallion Grade rifles in .284 Win. Sako produced the barrel and the action. Everything else was done by FN. Your rifle is a rarity among Browning rifles.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Jbird16,
    Even though the serial number says Z5 which means 1965 production the rifle according to the records was given the serial number in 1963 and produced in 1964. The factory records, especially for the .284, are not complete. Matt Eastmans' book states that only one .284 was produced in 1965 (according to Browning's records). My Safari .284 #45xxZ5 does not even exist according to Browning's records. That number was given to a Browning BAR. So you see the records are clearly incomplete. But, you do have a rare rifle. Browning produced approximately 350 Safari Grade rifles, 23 Olympian Grade rifles, and 20 Medallion Grade rifles in .284 Win. Sako produced the barrel and the action. Everything else was done by FN. Your rifle is a rarity among Browning rifles.
    Jeff
    Jeff,

Thank you for all of your info. I know years ago my grandfather had a recoil pad put on this gun because he always said that it kicked like a mule and he wasn't a big guy. I know this will hurt the value of the gun but It never was meant to be a collectors piece. It made 35 years worth of hunting trips out west for various game and rode on many horse backs and for the trips that it made it is still in very nice shape, he was going to sell it and I ended up buying it from him. It has been in my gun safe for 15-20 years and now I'm thinking about moving on from it realizing that I will probably never use it. I'm not looking to get rich on it but also don't want to get taken advantage of. What would be a fair price for this gun?

Jason

(Bucks County)

The recoil pad is going to seriously hurt any collectors value. From what you say about the hunting over the years; without seeing the rifle I think tops might be about $1200.00

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

Hi everyone, Iīm about to buy a FN browning in 458 win mag, and I was doing some research in the internet when I found this fórum. The rifle has seen very little use for the last 30 years, I havenīt been able yet to make a thorough review of the rifle, but it looks to be in very good condition. I know that the stocks from those years were dryied with salt so thatīs someting Iīm going to check out, buy maybe you guys can tell me something else about these rifles. The plan is to use it in a Buffalo Hunt in Zimbabwe next year with my brother, so I really need to know if itīs a rifle you can bet your life on. Do they have feeding issues? Are they accurate enough (for buffalo, maybe hippo and I havent quit on the dream of an elephant Hunt!!) Is there anything I should be aware of, considering thatīs going to be used in a dangerous game Hunt? The barrel surprised me as quite thin, and the rifle seemed a little light for a big bore. Iīm used to the recoil ofa 375 HH, so Iīm not afraid about that, but itīs good to know if the recoil is tolerable and the stock will handle it without breaking. The serial number is 53664, L69. Does this mean the rifle was made in 1969?
    Thank you very much for all the help that you can give me
    Jorge González

(Bucks County)

T start the rifle was made in 1969. It is most likely a "salt" gun. It is probably a push feed; not a controlled round feed. The controlled round feed magnums were discontinued in mid 1968. Recoil is stout. The .458 Safari Grade rifles were only about 9 pounds. Recoil is tolerable in the standing position; brutal from the bench. To check if a salt gun remove the stock, if there is rust where the metal is hidden by the stock it is a salt gun. Another god way is to remove one of the recoil pad screws and test with I believe silver nitrate. Browning did repair salt guns for a while. You should be able to tell if the rifle was refinished. The stock may have a completely different serial number from the receiver/barrel. Or, the stock my have the same number with an X either before or after the serial number. The advantage with the controlled round feed over the push feed is the extractor is external on the controlled feed bolt. Much easier the extract a sticky case with the controlled feed. These rifles were made in three different grades and about 13 different calibers, All of them are accurate. or. lets put it this way I have not shot one that was not accurate
    Any other questions give me a holler.
    Good luck, Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

Hi Jeff
    Thank you very much for your quick reply. The rifle is a push feed, very smooth, I also loved the trigger, very nice. The safety was a bit hard, but I think itīs due to the low mileage of the gun, Itīs been in a safe for 25 years more o less. I think tomorrow Iīll get the rifle, Iīll post some pictures of the rifle for you, and the grouping. I greatly appreciate your help

Jorge

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast