Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Lancaster County)

Default Hunting Deer in WMU 2B

Hello,

I have a doe tag for WMU 2B and was wondering where I can go to try and fill it. I will be using a crossbow to hunt with. I called the Pittsburgh city cops to ask them if I am allowed to shoot my crossbow inside city limits and was told no so I know I cant hunt anywhere in the city. What I was thinking about doing was going to a friends place in the Bethel park area. He owns a good chunk of property down there and I know I can meet the rule of being at least 50 yards away from residences and such. I guess what I am asking is:

1. Does anyone know what townships I would be allowed to hunt in and which ones have rules against shooting that would put me on the wrong side of the law.

2. If my plan to hunt in Bethel park is misconceived then feel free to recommend other areas that I could hunt in WMU 2B.

Thanks
    Last edited by Yeti1016; August 24th, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Hunting Deer in WMU 2B

if you have permission to hunt somewhere in the city limits and are outside of the safety zone you may most certianly hunt within the city limits. State law overides local law.

Case law on this is..

Duff V Northampton Twp.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Lawrence County)

Just remember, you cannot shoot INTO a safety zone either. So if you're 100 yards away, you will have a 50 yard limit...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    Just remember, you cannot shoot INTO a safety zone either. So if you're 100 yards away, you will have a 50 yard limit...

-Chaz
    You have to be 50 yards from a building that you don't have permission to be closer to

So you can post up in a tree 5 yards off your back porch and still be perfectly legal as long as no other houses within 50 yards have a problem with you being there.

page 16 of game book

"it is unlawful to hunt for, shoot at, trap, take, chase, or disturb wildlife within 150 yards of any occupied residence, camp, industrial, or commercial building... WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE OCCUPANTS"
    - clearly replace the 150 with 50 for archery

so you can hunt off your roof if you wanted to as long as your neighbors are either 50 yards away on each side or don't care. but keep in mind, if the deer gets shot and runs across that 50 yard line you are in trouble
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for all the help, guess I need to get out there pretty quick with antlerless coming up on the 17th.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    You have to be 50 yards from a building that you don't have permission to be closer to

So you can post up in a tree 5 yards off your back porch and still be perfectly legal as long as no other houses within 50 yards have a problem with you being there.

so you can hunt off your roof if you wanted to as long as your neighbors are either 50 yards away on each side or don't care. but keep in mind, if the deer gets shot and runs across that 50 yard line you are in trouble

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

Just be prepared for anything. I had a few hunting spots close to my parents while I still lived there. (Bethel/South Park/Baldwin border). The problem with them ALL was this. Any patch of woods big enough to hunt in was also used for kids building forts, teenagers drinking/making out, dog walkers, people training rabbit dogs, mountain bikers, paintballers, and I guess now airsofters and MANY MANY OTHER archery hunters. I can't tell you how many times I had hunts spoiled by all of the above. It is also weird to be within earshot of lawn mowers, weed wackers, telephones, traffic etc....Chances are, if you are scouting an area, or commonly start seeing parked cars, you will not have the woods to your self. There are some HUGE bucks in the area I mentioned. Don't think for a minute that they are "tame suburban deer". They know that they are being hunted, and I have seen a few bruisers disappear come archery season, but would see them every night crossing the damn street in my headlights. Another good spot is where North Baldwin meets the city. The first day of archery there looks like a deer drive come rifle season though.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post

About ten years back I contacted the PGC questioning this issue. The PGC representative said you can shoot a deer out your window (gun) if no other buildings are within the 150yds. or if there were, you had permission from them. I understood his point, but it sure struck me as a poor sporting analogy to tell a hunter to shoot from his window! the 50 yard archery reg is relatively new, and is good, but to any new guys out there, you might be legal but be sure you contact anyone that potentially could see you. Non hunters don't know these regs. and it will certainly lead to you explaining to your local police officer you are in the right...it ruins the outdoor experience LOL

One place you may want to try is along the Montour trail from Coraopolis to Robinson Town Center. There is a lot of undeveloped property in that valley.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti1016 View Post
    Hello,

I have a doe tag for WMU 2B and was wondering where I can go to try and fill it. I will be using a crossbow to hunt with. I called the Pittsburgh city cops to ask them if I am allowed to shoot my crossbow inside city limits and was told no so I know I cant hunt anywhere in the city. What I was thinking about doing was going to a friends place in the Bethel park area. He owns a good chunk of property down there and I know I can meet the rule of being at least 50 yards away from residences and such. I guess what I am asking is:

1. Does anyone know what townships I would be allowed to hunt in and which ones have rules against shooting that would put me on the wrong side of the law.

2. If my plan to hunt in Bethel park is misconceived then feel free to recommend other areas that I could hunt in WMU 2B.

Thanks
    Yeti, If you know of an area inside city limits that allows adequate hunting area, and you have permission, the city cannot stop you. You do know the legal archery distance is only 50 yards from an "occupied" building not 150 like a gun. That being said, common sense must still prevail. Do you have enough area for the deer to expire after shot. Can you get in and out without non hunting neighbors calling the police? Hunting is not enjojable if you are constantly concerned of being hassled. 2B extends into Beaver, Washington and Westmoreland Counties, some Sunday scouting and knocking on doors will certainly get you a spot. make sure you specify archery to the landowner, sometimes that helps for the gun squeemish residents.