Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W M&P40L

(Allegheny County)

Default S&W M&P40L

Usually I research the heck out of a new purchase. This time I struggled to find what I wanted in stock and made a purchase of a gun I don't know a lot about. I know the M&P line has generally good reviews. So, some time next week I will have this.. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411545792

Anyone heard of a M&P40L long slide?

-Lou

(Delaware County)

Default Re: S&W M&P40L

A couple of my friends shoot the long slide for IDPA competition. As far as I know the long slide is pretty much the 5" version of the standard M&P.
    If need be, you can do some trigger work to the M&P pistols for competition.

The "pro series" gives you a FO front sight and a little better trigger than the standard model. I had the M&P9 pro series, it is a nice gun. Accurate and reliable.
    Don't worry, your getting a good quality pistol.

BTW, welcome to PAFOA.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks! I read that they manufactured these pistols for a department and sold off the excess inventory, but I have no way of knowing if it is true.
    -Lou

(Washington County)

I have the M&P9 and love it.

The only issue people have with it is the trigger.
    There are a few options out there to fix the trigger (APEX/S&W Performance Center ect...) if you wish to do that, I dont think its that bad.

If you want to use it in competition I would recommend an APEX kit.

What did you pay for it? I saw they had a deal on those but I forget how much they were.

I can speak to the reliability of the system. There are quite a large number of agencies across the country that have made the jump to M&P Pistols. Some dumped Sigs, Berettas, Glocks and Springfields and more for the M&Ps. They carry a hard earned reputation for being as indestructible as a Glock, but in an ambidextrous format with better ergonomics. As far as accuracy goes. I think a mouse could starve on the difference in accuracy between the 5" M&P, the G34/35, and the new 5.25" XDms coming out.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlerocker View Post
    I have the M&P9 and love it.
    If you want to use it in competition I would recommend an APEX kit.

What did you pay for it? I saw they had a deal on those but I forget how much they were.
    I have heard its lack of the pro trigger makes it a bit heavy. $499 at buds. Seemed reasonable compared to the other models. Plus they throw in a 3rd magazine.