Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: My first 1911

Default My first 1911

I got a late birthday present from the wife in the form of a ATI 1911 .45 4icn barrel. I think its called commander. It has a skeltonized trigger but mil spec sights. I was curious if anyone is familiar with them. This is my first 1911 and I have been wanting one for awhile. Here are a couple things I was wondering about.

1. how many rounds can i get away with shooting before cleaning? I usually clean my glock after every 200-400 rounds.

2 how do these do with the russian steel cased ammo. Seems likethey are are agreat price.

3 Do these take any 1911 mag? I was told this is a fullsize and avoid compact mags.

thanks all.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My first 1911

1. I clean mine after every range session, so I'm not sure about the cleaning, but I would clean it more than your Glock for sure. I have surely put 300 rounds through mine without cleaning (in one range session).
    2. I have used Wolf ammunition in my 1911 without any issues, but I don't prefer it. Blazer brass or Blazer aluminum case also works quite well, and is not too much more I don't think.
    3. Command size 1911's use full size magazines. Do not try to use any Officer's size magazines.

Good luck, and welcome to the beginning of the sickness that is 1911 ownership (they multiply).

Warning, shoot your Glock now, because you may start to hate it soon.
    Stay frosty....

Default Re: My first 1911

It is basically one in the same with RIA, American Classic. They are pretty basic 1911's, but they are good guns. There is some Youtube footage on all of these pistols. Enjoy the footage and enjoy your gift. BTW, the first thing I would do on one of these is tweak the trigger a bit just to get some of the stacking and stiffness out. It is not intolerable, just needs some smoothing out.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.