Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mifflin County)

Default Getting Started with IDPA

How many magazines do you need to compete in IDPA or USPSA? Right now I have 3 7rd mags for my Remington R1 and 2 17 rd mags for my Ruger SR9. Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: Getting Started with IDPA

Your good with the R1 - Most you can use at a time in IDPA is one in the gun and 2 in a mag pouch on your side

More is always better though , less loading between stages

Jeff

(Allegheny County)

As a general rule - 3 mags for IDPA, 5 mags for USPSA; but like workingmanjeff posted, more is better.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I don't shoot IDPA but shoot at a USPSA match at least twice a month . Below is a link to some good info on USPSA .

http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/2009/...our-uspsa.html

Not trying to start a USPSA vs IDPA argument but I like the combination of thinking and shooting of USPSA.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Berks County)

You need a retension holster and mag pouches too , don't forget. And as far as IDPA vs USPSA. USPSA is more of a game then IDPA. IDPA you have to use cover and go to slide lock or retain mags with rounds in it. To sum it up IDPA has more rules but more relaxed on finger in the trigger guard , that will get you a match DQ in USPSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskyoverlord View Post
    You need a retension holster and mag pouches too , don't forget. And as far as IDPA vs USPSA. USPSA is more of a game then IDPA. IDPA you have to use cover and go to slide lock or retain mags with rounds in it. To sum it up IDPA has more rules but more relaxed on finger in the trigger guard , that will get you a match DQ in USPSA.
    You don't need a retention holster per se... it just has to not fall out when you run around. Also, most times I've shot IDPA, if you go running around with your finger on the trigger / inside the trigger guard, you probably would get a very quick warning or a DQ.

(Montgomery County)

IDPA is great for beginners because they pretty much tell you what to do.

Don't let that discourage you from trying USPSA though, it is a lot of fun. And if requested the RO will help you.

Min and max is 3 mags for IDPA that you carry while running the course.

USPSA is almost unlimited. As many as you can carry properly according to the rules of the division you enter. (If you pull the mag out of your front pocket before he says Make ready, they can't ding you into Open Class for eq position violation, LoL)

I started off with 4 mags.. The highest round count for any course is 32. I was shooting production, so I had 41 rounds on me. 2 mags in a dual mag holder, 1 in the gun and 1 in my back pocket. That is cutting it close for some of the bigger courses. But if you don't miss, it is not a problem.

I now have 6 mags, 2 in the holder, 1 in the gun and 3 in my back pocket. That is perfectly legal, Just kills ya on time when reloading.

You don't need to spend a whole lot of money to get started and have fun and even be competitive in either type of match.

(Allegheny County)

I have shot USPSA (IPSC) and IDPA, both have their plusses and minuses. For me, IDPA is closer to what I want to be doing when I go to practice with my EDC gear. That is why I still shoot IDPA from time to time.

Try both and then decide for yourself.

As to the post about "To sum it up IDPA has more rules but more relaxed on finger in the trigger guard , that will get you a match DQ in USPSA."

That bold part is definately not true at the 6 or so IDPA clubs that I have shot at over the past 8 years.

Happy shooting!
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Quote Originally Posted by snappertrapper View Post
    How many magazines do you need to compete in IDPA or USPSA? Right now I have 3 7rd mags for my Remington R1 and 2 17 rd mags for my Ruger SR9. Thanks
    I can't speak for IDPA but I do compete in USPSA.

With USPSA there are multiple different classes you can compete in. In your situation the easiest to get started would be the production class with the Ruger. All you would need would be 2 more mags that hold at least 10 rounds (in production your mags can only have 10 rounds except the first mag which can have 11). You would also need a good belt holster that, when the gun is retained, completely protects the trigger guard. Pouches for the magazines are helpful. Most clubs that host USPSA are very welcoming to new shooters, and will still let you complete even if you aren't 100% up to rules.... SO LONG AS YOU ARE SAFE.

Have fun with it. USPSA is awesome and its made me a significantly better shooter since I started.

Also, if you haven't looked here are some helpful links for USPSA:

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-join-renew.php

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast