Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mifflin County)

Default My first competition

Lewistown Pistol Club hosts weekly "grocery shoots" throughout the months of January through March. It's .22 rifles, scopes allowed, shooting "off hand" at 50 feet. You fire one shot at a target per round, for a total of 20 rounds. Prizes are awarded to the top 12 targets in each round, and consist of various food items.

I decided to go up last night, even though I haven't fired a rifle "off hand" in years. When I got there, many of the guys had competition style rifles and I'm shooting my common Marlin. Oh well, I'm just here for the fun of it, didn't even think I'd have a chance since it was my first competition. Of course, the night I choose for my first one is their biggest turnout EVER.

All the firing positions are full (48) and some have multiple targets at each. I think there was a total of 60 targets hung for each round. It was crowded. You basically had to shoot each round in shifts, as there wasn't enough space at the line for all of us to be firing at once.

Part way through the match, I go out to the awards table, and see there's still some targets laying there where people hadn't claimed their prizes. Glancing at them, I notice one's MINE. Wow, that was a shock, I didn't think I was doing that well. Taking a look at the rest, I see a second one was mine, too. Ended up with a 6th in one round and a 7th in another. I was pretty happy for my first time competing. Especially with 60 targets out there each round. I need to do some practicing to try get my consistency up, but I'm planning on going back again next week.

Default Re: My first competition

Good job man. Keep up the good work.
    Jules