Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default is reloading 223 cost effective?

I am thinking about loading 223. I already load 9mm and understand the fundamentals of loading. I know there is case prep that is involved for 223. My question is, is it cost effective. I save about 50% loading 9mm.

thanks

(Washington County)

Default Re: is reloading 223 cost effective?

If you use your brass you should save at least 50%. Actually I would say the savings are better than reloading the 9mm.

(Montgomery County)

If you have some time, I would love to see where you get your supplies that you are able to achieve that kind of savings. According to my math the cheapest I am able to reload is about .20/rnd the cheapest I can buy being about .31/rnd. I would really appreciate information as to where you buy supplies, and what components you use.

thanks

(Pike County)

I think your calculations are basically correct - you can reload for about 2/3 the cost of discount ammunition. You have to load a lot of ammo and/or invest in a progressive press setup to make it worth the time. This is even more apparent if you consider that you can recoup part of the cost of factory ammo by reselling your once-fired brass. If you are a good scrounger, you can occasionally make bulk purchases that lower your reloading costs but of course you can also occassionally score a bargain on loaded ammo.

What you can't do is shoot top quality, extremely accurate ammo that is optimized for your rifle(s) and shooting discipline(s) for .31 a round. If you require accurate ammo reloading becomes very cost effective and has a higher "accuracy ceiling", to coin a phrase.

I'd say if you are a recreational shooter, SHTF guy, or occasional multi-gun competitor you are probably better off buying factory in bulk and reselling your once-fired brass unless you have more time than money on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911carry View Post
    If you have some time, I would love to see where you get your supplies that you are able to achieve that kind of savings. According to my math the cheapest I am able to reload is about .20/rnd the cheapest I can buy being about .31/rnd. I would really appreciate information as to where you buy supplies, and what components you use.

thanks

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911carry View Post

thanks
    The key to cheap reloading is BULK! By using calculations on 1 pound bottles of powder and 1000 round boxes of primers and using my usual 55gr. FMJBT's in bulk from outfits like Wideners, I am looking at about 19-20 cents a round.

If I up it to buying 8 pound jugs, 5000 primers and 1000 or 5000 bulk bullets, I am around 15-16 cents.

What you can't do is shoot top quality, extremely accurate ammo that is optimized for your rifle(s) and shooting discipline(s) for .31 a round.
    That is the key....I am making high quality ammo at a much reduced price.

I know there is case prep that is involved for 223.
    It isn't too bad, as far as trimming and measuring but I would highly recommend a case gauge from Dillon or Wilson.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

I can get my cost down to about 14 cents a round buying in bulk since I get a discount with my FFL, thats with hornady 55gr FMJBT bullets, only problem with loading rifle is the trimming. I finally broke down an spent the 400 bucks on a giraud trimmer, it cuts my brass prep time in 1/2.

http://www.streetlethal.net/ar/giraud.wmv video of it in use

(Columbia County)

Drool. One day I will get a Giraud (though I will still refuse to pronounce it correctly. I prefer the 'd' sound in the word. lol).

My smallest cost savings over factory rounds are in .223 and 9mm. However, reloading is still definitely worth it for both calibers. I'm not really all that anal about case prep in .223 though. I trim any new batch of brass once and then don't worry about it for several firings. If it gets too long, it's not really that big of a deal since it headspaces off of the shoulders. I also gave up loading .223 for accuracy, as I don't really enjoy super accurate shooting with my ARs. I'd prefer to plink and 'action shoot' so to speak.

I also enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting, so I don't consider the time spent reloading or prepping brass to be work or wasted time.

(Luzerne County)

Yes. I want loads optimized for my rifle. I load Sierra 77 grain MKs in new Winchester brass. They shoot very nicely over a charge of RL-15.
    Commercially, a very similar load is available from Black Hills and Federal.....at a dollar to a dollar and a half per round.
    I load my own for 45 cents.
    The note earlier about buying in bulk is the key.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; August 23rd, 2011 at 04:43 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Quote Originally Posted by lethal93ta View Post
    I can get my cost down to about 14 cents a round buying in bulk since I get a discount with my FFL, thats with hornady 55gr FMJBT bullets, only problem with loading rifle is the trimming. I finally broke down an spent the 400 bucks on a giraud trimmer, it cuts my brass prep time in 1/2.

Good lord those are expensive.....and they only come in one caliber!?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    Good lord those are expensive.....and they only come in one caliber!?
    Once you put out the money for the trimmer itself, extra cutters and holders for different calibers are around $50.

If you are into mass reloading and shoot a lot, the time savings alone will make it worth it, just like with owning a progressive press compared to a single stage or turret.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast