Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default References needed from within the county?

So I stopped by the sheriff's office to see if I could catch him before his office was closed... no such luck. Office closes at 1600, and good luck getting off work and getting back in time prior to that... but I digress.

I was able to go to the door and see a folder attached to the wall holding applications for LTCFs. I'm reading through a small sheet that shows instructions and it states that all applicants must have 2 Lawrence Co references who are not related to the applicant. If the applicant does not have 2 references who are residents of the county, then the application will not be accepted.

Is that right? I didn't think I needed two references from within the county, just two character references in general. That may be a little more difficult for me to get them from within the county since I recently moved in and I haven't spent too much time around my neighbors. I'm not sure if they'd give the green light for using them as references, though they probably would if I asked politely.

For out of state applicants, they must have a permit from their own state along with 2 Lawrence Co references as well. It almost seems like that would disqualify anyone from getting an out of state license.

I'm going to call the sheriff tomorrow during one of my stops for clarification and explanation. I'm almost afraid to ask about open carry since I've ready they don't seem too friendly about that.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: References needed from within the county?

legally the references need just be anyone. many sheriffs claim to want local references. allegheny county wanted in state references if i remember correctly so i used two guys from hundreds of miles away. i was approved.

(Philadelphia County)

Maybe a couple people from the forum could help you out if you meet them and get to know em

(Lawrence County)

I just noticed that there's another thread similar to this one... I feel dumb.

I'll ask my neighbors about it and see if they'll be references for me. Now to figure out when I can drop off an application since they're not open when I'm not working...

(Delaware County)

References can't "be family members", other than that, you're good.

If you have a buddy in Russia or on Mars, by law you can list them

(Philadelphia County)

Not in Philly.
    They have to be from the same ZIP code as you.

But they can't live on the same street, except on Tuesdays, then they can.

Now on Thursdays, they can't have the same first name as yours, unless it's John. Everybody can be John.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by magras View Post
    Maybe a couple people from the forum could help you out if you meet them and get to know em
    Doing that will not correct that sheriff....and that's what needs to be done.

Shaul, use any 2 people that you feel comfortable using....doesn't matter where they are from. When you drop off the app don't mention it to them. If they insist they have to be from in county, tell them 1) you don't know anybody from the county and 2) It's not required by law that the references be from in county.

(Lawrence County)

I asked one neighbor who was more than happy to be a reference. My other neighbor is working the evening shift or out with a friend tonight. I'll get his info if I can, but I'll keep the second reference as my best friend of ten or so years.

The hard part really is going to be going in and getting it done. Their office is only open 0800-1600 Mon-Fri. Chances are I won't finish my truck route and be home until 1900. Lovely...

(Lehigh County)

Sheriff's office rarely follows up with references, but I'd imagine they do so when someone has a questionable history either within the confines of the law or possible mental health issues. Then it may be a judgement call, but you can appeal

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    legally the references need just be anyone.
    I suppose we will all be waiting some time for someone to post where in the law references are demanded of applicants, since they aren't a requirement in the law at all as is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast