Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Northampton County)

Default Holster options Ruger LC9

So after posting about BUG/CC options to my full size S&W SD9, I took some time out of my day to stop at the Whitehall Army/Navy to paw at a few of the single stack 9s suggested to me. I didn't like how the one Kel Tec didn't have a safety, and even though my main carry doesn't have a safety, it does have a pretty heavy trigger and a "trigger safety" that makes me a little more comfortable. Plus if I'm throwing this into a pocket holster, I don't want to even open up the situation where it possibly could fire should it come out of the holster. Regardless of how that might sound, it's a comfort thing, which is why I settled on the LC9. It's at my price point, has a nice thumb safety, actual sights, and shoots 9mm so I don't have to buy 2 different kinds of ammo to go to the range.

That being said, I was wondering about some good holster options. I hear the supertuck is nice, but I remember hearing you can tuck your shirt in OVER the pistol? I don't see how that's possible with the way the holster looks, can somebody explain? There's also the DeSantis line of pocket holsters (nemesis and super fly) which I'm interested in, and they have a nice price point. Anybody have any further suggestions, or should I just hurry up and buy so I can post pictures?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Holster options Ruger LC9

I carry my LC9 the same way I carried the LCP that came before it, in a DeSantis Pro Stealth IWB. It's really easily concealed, converts for strong side or cross draw wear, super comfortable and most importantly it holds an EXTRA MAG!!!

I've also go the DeSantis Sof-Tuck which I hoped to use when I needed to CC with a tucked in shirt but it just didn't work for me. I wear a more fitted cut of dress shirt so when I put an IWB holster and piece under it the bulge is pretty noticeable. The gun doesn't print but you can see a big hump under my belt and it was just too obvious for me. When I tuck in my shirt I leave the LC9 at home and put my LCP in a pocket holster instead.

I've been considering getting one of the hard sided IWB holsters like the Intruder. There's a number of handmade ones on eBay that have nice thick leather backing panels, adjustable clips and hand molded Kydex retention sleeves. I'd imagine them being really nice if you had to carry without an undershirt so the grip wasn't rubbing against your skin, but I've never carried without a shirt between me and the gun so no worries yet.

(Chester County)

The SuperTuck is great! Where the clips attach to the leather, there is a soft spacer. You tuck your shirt over the gun, over the leather but behind the clips. If you use the V-clips, you can't see anything on your belt at all.

For a pocket holster, I'd check out Bear Creek holsters. Doug over there is great to work with. I've got an LCP pocket holster of his and the work is superb. He'll usually call you to talk about your order and ship within the week. Here's one he did for an LC9. The rear panel is affixed with Chicago screws and is easily removed: http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=18128

He's a sponsor of that forum. You'll find a link to his website at the top of that page.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by coffeedragon View Post
    I carry my LC9 the same way I carried the LCP that came before it, in a DeSantis Pro Stealth IWB. It's really easily concealed, converts for strong side or cross draw wear, super comfortable and most importantly it holds an EXTRA MAG!!!

I've also go the DeSantis Sof-Tuck which I hoped to use when I needed to CC with a tucked in shirt but it just didn't work for me. I wear a more fitted cut of dress shirt so when I put an IWB holster and piece under it the bulge is pretty noticeable. The gun doesn't print but you can see a big hump under my belt and it was just too obvious for me. When I tuck in my shirt I leave the LC9 at home and put my LCP in a pocket holster instead.

I've been considering getting one of the hard sided IWB holsters like the Intruder. There's a number of handmade ones on eBay that have nice thick leather backing panels, adjustable clips and hand molded Kydex retention sleeves. I'd imagine them being really nice if you had to carry without an undershirt so the grip wasn't rubbing against your skin, but I've never carried without a shirt between me and the gun so no worries yet.
    I picked up the Nemesis pocket holster, and I'm not very impressed. It's ungainly and doesn't stay in the pocket well. I did some unloaded draws from various pairs of jeans, and probably half of the time I got the holster with the pistol, or it was difficult to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    The SuperTuck is great! Where the clips attach to the leather, there is a soft spacer. You tuck your shirt over the gun, over the leather but behind the clips. If you use the V-clips, you can't see anything on your belt at all.

For a pocket holster, I'd check out Bear Creek holsters. Doug over there is great to work with. I've got an LCP pocket holster of his and the work is superb. He'll usually call you to talk about your order and ship within the week. Here's one he did for an LC9. The rear panel is affixed with Chicago screws and is easily removed: http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=18128

He's a sponsor of that forum. You'll find a link to his website at the top of that page.
    I'm seriously considering the supertuck, or perhaps the minituck. I don't mind the cant up against me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just picked up the LC9 myself and ordered a CrossBreed clone from Theisholsters.com. I haven't received it yet, but if it's anything like the CB i use for my XD subcompact then I'll be happy.

I also ordered a leather pocket holster. I forgot who made it but I'll update thus post when I find the order.

BTW, I read that a Buck 112 knife sheath is a perfect fit as a mag holster. I found a new one on ebay for $6.

EDIT, it's the Model 3 pocket holster from holsterpro.com.
    Last edited by Clark Kent; September 13th, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Lebanon County)

I carry my lc9 in a high noon holsters " split decision" holster. IWB, tuckable, and an actual clip over the belt (no j hook). I love the holster. Have the same holster for my full sized 9 mm.