Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Yaqui holster question

does any one use a Yaqui holster? like them / hate them. thought i might give one a try.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Yaqui holster question

I dont have one but looking at it, it's a nice looking holster. Functionally, to draw a weapon straight up is a longer distance than a forward tilted position, also there is no protection for you safely to keep it from accidentally being bumped off and no additional safety of a strap between the hammer and firing pin mechanism. Those issue would keep me from getting one.

If these might be issues for you that you didn't think of, you might take a look at something like this:

http://www.officerstore.com/store/pr...ak_right_hand/

This one is quite a bit cheaper too.

(Westmoreland County)

I occasionally wear one around the house but it isn't something I'd wear on the street. Think bedroom slippers vs. shoes.

(Luzerne County)

I don't like any holster where the slide or muzzle protrudes.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I don't like any holster where the slide or muzzle protrudes.
    Ditto. Never really gave the yaqui any serious consideration.

Here's a related question -- why do almost all semi-auto holsters have an open bottom? In one sense it's convenient in that stuff doesn't fall in it and accumulate, but an open bottom seems to be the norm for semi-autos but closed bottom for revolvers. I can't figure out why that is.

(Chester County)

I wear a Don Hume J.I.T. slide with a pretty fair degree of regularity. It's very similar to a Yaqui, except that instead of having the loop through which the gun is inserted sewn as a separate piece and then attached to the backer through which your belt goes, the J.I.T. uses a loop that actually part of the backer. I find that it holds substantially closer to my body than a true Yaqui slide.

Anyway, I've never had a problem with carrying in a holster through which the muzzle protrudes. I tend to carry shorter guns in them, though. The muzzle of my G26 protrudes about 1/16" out the bottom, so I don't really worry about slapping it on a chair arm and popping it out. And it's high riding enough that I don't worry about dinging the muzzle on anything hard. It also holds the gun tighter than most pancake or trailing loop (the classic Bruce Nelson or Galco Avenger style) holsters. I've had and used mine regularly for years and it's just as tight as the day I got it.

I'd be disinclined to use one, though, if I were carrying a longer gun. It's fine with a G26 or G19 -- but a G17 or G34 would be kinda silly. Too easy to ding the muzzle, pop the gun out, or just simply flash the muzzle out. A muzzle covered by a holster could be anything. A muzzle is obviously a muzzle.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I wear a Don Hume J.I.T. slide with a pretty fair degree of regularity.
    I also use the J.I.T. but for S&W revolvers. One a 4" barrel the other a 21/2" but K frames. For the most part I'm very satisfied with it, but I tend to be a little careful around chair with arms and autoseats with center consoles.