Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: Places we can't conceal-carry in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    According to Wikipedia:

Blackjack

A blackjack or is a small, easily-concealed club consisting of a leather-wrapped lead weight attached to the end of a leather-wrapped coil-spring or rigid shaft, with a lanyard or strap on the end opposite the weight.[2]Materials other than lead and leather are sometimes used to construct these weapons.

A blackjack is sometimes referred to as a sap[3], which is the name for a weapon of similar design (also called a slapper, slap jack or beavertail sap), which has a flat profile as opposed to a cylindrical one.
    Blackjacks were popular among law enforcement for a time due to their low profile and small size, and their potential to knock a suspect unconscious. However, blows to the head could be easily fatal, and they have since become less common equipment.
    I don't trust wikipedia, at all, ever... anyone can edit it, and as long as you find a page with BS that supports what you want to write there, your edit will generally stay online... but that's aside from the point.

First off, PCCD, certifies constables with batons (see http://www.pccd.state.pa.us/pccd/lib...ulletin_53.pdf). and you'll notice that constables are not enumerated in the blackjack exception, at all.

(d) Exemptions.-The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:
    (1) Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (PL. 359, No. 120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (2) Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (3) Pennsylvania State Police officers.
    (4) Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (5) Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (6) Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commis*sion on Crime and Delinquency.
    (7) Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Two, the traditional definition of blackjack, from Marriam-Webster's dictionary, "a hand weapon typically consisting of a piece of leather-enclosed metal with a strap or springy shaft for a handle." To me, that does not sound like a baton.

If anything, I would say a blackjack may be considered a type of a baton, but not all batons are blackjacks.... I suppose it's sort of like saying, "all machine guns are firearms, but not all firearms are machine guns."
    Last edited by mjf; October 26th, 2008 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Two, the traditional definition of blackjack, from Marriam-Webster's dictionary, "a hand weapon typically consisting of a piece of leather-enclosed metal with a strap or springy shaft for a handle." To me, that does not sound like a baton.

If anything, I would say a blackjack may be considered a type of a baton, but not all batons are blackjacks.... I suppose it's sort of like saying, "all machine guns are firearms, but not all firearms are machine guns."
    I agree, my ASP has no leather on it at all or anything springy. I do know the LEO supply store I go to will NOT sell a civilian (unless you have 235) an ASP or any other type of baton.

I used to always carried a nice big 4D maglite in my car. It sat between my door and the seat. That would do the trick and perfectly legal. EVERYONE should have a flashlight in their car. Never know when you'd need one; ie flat tire, hit a deer, in an accident, lose a hubcap, etc...
    Last edited by chrisjames_71; October 26th, 2008 at 08:38 AM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    I agree, my ASP has no leather on it at all or anything springy. I do know the LEO supply store I go to will NOT sell a civilian (unless you have 235) an ASP or any other type of baton.

I used to always carried a nice big 4D maglite in my car. It sat between my door and the seat. That would do the trick and perfectly legal. EVERYONE should have a flashlight in their car. Never know when you'd need one; ie flat tire, hit a deer, in an accident, lose a hubcap, etc...
    yup, mine is in the same spot, and in a pinch, the weight and mass of those 4d cell batteries may save your butt, there's a fellow I work with that can attest to the pain and damage they can do......that's a whole other story though.....

Quote Originally Posted by chesire17201 View Post
    yup, mine is in the same spot, and in a pinch, the weight and mass of those 4d cell batteries may save your butt, there's a fellow I work with that can attest to the pain and damage they can do......that's a whole other story though.....
    They actually had a question in the academy on use of force that involved a 4d mag lite.

Sadly, I lost mine, now I just carry a surefire 6p, one in my car and one in my truck.

(Beaver County)

it would be so nice to have a cut and dry updated list of where we can and can't carry, anyone have one? thank you!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by krdz1 View Post
    it would be so nice to have a cut and dry updated list of where we can and can't carry, anyone have one? thank you!
    There is a sticky thread dedicated to the topic.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

(Beaver County)

thank you, i'll check it out now.

(Lycoming County)

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas
    Carry Allowed in these Areas:
    State Parks: YES
    State/National Forests: YES
    WMA’s: YES
    Road Side Rest Areas: YES

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    PA has no posting or restriction on carrying into bars, restaurants or liquor stores.

If however you were close to or over the DUI limit that could be bad news if carrying and having to use it. Carry = stay dry.

We have three primes to avoid - schools, Fed property and Court houses.
    I would like to add the residences of ex-wives and girlfriends ...Bad idea

(Bucks County)

1) So, in summary, what is the best source of places that are off-limits in PA?

2) And is Philadelphia different from the rest of the state? I know State law trumps Philly law...but I'd rather not have to make this point in court. Can I conceal in public while dining/visiting Philly.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast