Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Places we can't conceal-carry in PA

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    I hear this alot,
    Cite the law please!
    there isn't a definitive law on the books; what i meant what, i wouldn't want to be caught carrying one, and have to pay $$$$$$$ in legal fees to avoid a felony weapons charge, by proving they're not illegal. that's the problem with the statute; much of it is open to interpretation.

[QUOTE]§ 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.
    "Offensive weapons."
    Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

(d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:

Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (P.L.359, No.120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Pennsylvania State Police officers.
    Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.
    Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.[/QUOTE]

a judge could always interpret "blackjack" as "baton." i just wouldn't want to be a test case.

so, maybe i should rephrase what i said. carrying a baton is probably a no-no.

If that is the law, why can I buy them, not being LEO?

(Lackawanna County)

If that is the law, why can I buy them, not being LEO?
    for the same reason you can buy switchblades, brass knuckles, and saps/blackjacks: it's not illegal to buy them. you can get any of these at your local flea market. you can own them, just can't carry them:

1. It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance
    i have a couple of brass knuckles, a sap, and a few switchblades. perfectly okay to own, but they better not leave the front door....

As I see it, the law you quote says, you cannot even even have a belt, pen, pencil, pocket knife, nail-clippers............etc.

(Allegheny County)

As I see it, the law you quote says, you cannot even even have a belt, pen, pencil, pocket knife, nail-clippers............etc.
    how so?

those are not mentioned in the list of prohibited items, and they all serve common lawful purposes.

also, a baton is a blackjack, and that is why batons are illegal (unless possessed as a curio or you meet one of the exemptions).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    how so?

those are not mentioned in the list of prohibited items, and they all serve common lawful purposes.

also, a baton is a blackjack, and that is why batons are illegal (unless possessed as a curio or you meet one of the exemptions).
    But, refer to SFN's story!!!!!

LEO judgement (?)

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    how so?

I'll post later about this, but blackjack != baton.

(Lackawanna County)

stop being silly!

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    stop being silly!
    Silly? Try going through airport security!!!!

(Indiana County)

According to Wikipedia:

Blackjack

A blackjack or is a small, easily-concealed club consisting of a leather-wrapped lead weight attached to the end of a leather-wrapped coil-spring or rigid shaft, with a lanyard or strap on the end opposite the weight.[2]Materials other than lead and leather are sometimes used to construct these weapons.

A blackjack is sometimes referred to as a sap[3], which is the name for a weapon of similar design (also called a slapper, slap jack or beavertail sap), which has a flat profile as opposed to a cylindrical one.
    Blackjacks were popular among law enforcement for a time due to their low profile and small size, and their potential to knock a suspect unconscious. However, blows to the head could be easily fatal, and they have since become less common equipment.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast