Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Places we can't conceal-carry in PA

Quote Originally Posted by jmiro View Post
    The situtation arises that I have to use my firearm. What do you get charged with?
    Assuming the cops arrest you, it's likely you'll be charged with something.

1. murder.
    2. aggravated assault.
    3. reckless endangerment.
    4. possession of an instrument of crime.
    5. anything else they can think of.

If the cops are decent and use their discretion to determine the shooting was justified, you'll just get sued.

Moral of the story, don't use your gun unless all that hassle and trouble is worth it, or in other words, only if your life or the life of a family member is in immediate danger and the only way to address that danger is with a gun.

(Allegheny County)

lol in pa people carry just about anywhere there is'nt metal detectors.i'm not saying its legal but if you really look you will be surprised at how many people carry.i can find upwards of 8 people in bars cc.the sheriffs office said not to carry in bars but would not say it was illegal.i was asking a bartender about it once and he smiled and pointed to a group of 4 guys and they laughed and showed me their guns.they were all reloading and shooting buddies,now i'm buddies with them to.its an extremely low crime area and bar and non of them guys get drunk while there.now the library in cranberry has metal detectors and i have'nt seen this come up on here yet.it shares a building with state reps and the police station but the metal detectors are in the library,not anywhere else in the building or even at the entrance/exits.non of the other libraries around here have them.just weird

(Bucks County)

I assume a police station is included as a no-carry zone right? Like the court houses, are they also required to give you use of a storage locker while there?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyonebravo View Post
    I assume a police station is included as a no-carry zone right? Like the court houses, are they also required to give you use of a storage locker while there?
    §6120. Limitation on the Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition.

(a) General rule. No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this commonwealth.

It depends on the police... If they are "local", so county, municipality, and township, I think they couldn't disarm you just for visiting. State police, however, would not seem to fall under that prohibition and do disarm visitors. In fact, some PSP barracks have metal detectors, which honestly confused the pants off of my when I went to visit the PSP last year.
    Last edited by mjf; August 1st, 2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: -exemption +prohibition

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    It depends on the police... If they are "local", so county, municipality, and township, I think they couldn't disarm you just for visiting. State police, however, would not seem to fall under that exemption and do disarm visitors. In fact, some PSP barracks have metal detectors, which honestly confused the pants off of my when I went to visit the PSP last year.
    oh ok, yeah it's just a local PD station. I just have to pickup a police report on monday. It's a very small town too, so I doubt there's any metal detection upon entering or anything either

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy222 View Post
    now the library in cranberry has metal detectors and i have'nt seen this come up on here yet.it shares a building with state reps and the police station but the metal detectors are in the library,not anywhere else in the building or even at the entrance/exits.non of the other libraries around here have them.just weird
    those arent metal detectors... they are to spot the RFID's on the books so as to make an alarm if you try and take a book out without checking it out, just as if you were to steal clothes from a store.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyonebravo View Post
    I assume a police station is included as a no-carry zone right?
    actually, police stations are not defined as off-limits by the law.

not sure what happens in actual reality, but, theoretically, they are not off limits. and, again theoretically, the police cannot make them off limits.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    actually, police stations are not defined as off-limits by the law.

not sure what happens in actual reality, but, theoretically, they are not off limits. and, again theoretically, the police cannot make them off limits.
    Though not off limits by law, the PSP can make a policy to keep firearms out. In all honestly, that's why I favor a stronger preemption law which would only allow the state assembly to make any firearms regulations.

Oregon, for example, has a stronger preemption law, which reads:

166.170 State preemption. (1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.
    (2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Though not off limits by law, the PSP can make a policy to keep firearms out.
    yeah, i was thinking of a local police station. i think of PSP locations as "barracks".

In all honestly, that's why I favor a stronger preemption law which would only allow the state assembly to make any firearms regulations.
    yeah, i'd be in favor of that.

heck, i'd be in favor of a preemption law that didn't even allow the state assembly to make any firearms regulations.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    heck, i'd be in favor of a preemption law that didn't even allow the state assembly to make any firearms regulations.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
    Too bad that one really doesn't count... I mean, you can't even OC in Philly or a car without a license.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast