Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Places we can't conceal-carry in PA

Quote Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
    A lot of the information posted here is outdate much has been challanged and some laws have been overturned. I would strongly suggest you consult an attorney as PA has some of the fewest restrictions of any state.
    In addition to JL's comments, make sure you consult with someone who specializes in 2A law, and is WILLING TO GIVE YOU THEIR OPINION. Clear that point up right away before they put you on the clock and charge for their time.

Lawyers are professionals by definition, which means they are liable for any advice they give, opinions they provide, etc. Some lawyers, even those who are well-versed in this area of law, may not be willing to share their opinion/interpretation of the law, because if they turn out to be wrong, you can hold them liable for the advice they gave. Again, make sure they're willing to discuss these topics before you spend your hard-earned money.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Adams County)

One prohibited place that can be easily over looked is Gettysburg Pa. Watch where you go, because there are plenty of areas that are considered Gettysburg NATIONAL Battlefield Park.

I believe that there is a case in the works to fight the K-12 restriction. It has been argued over and over whether or not "..or other lawful purpose" means LTCF or not.

All county court houses, as well as the state capital court house are required by law to have lock boxes redily available to secure your weapon while inside. At the Capital Court House you have to use a particular entrance to use the boxes and I forget which one it is.

(Luzerne County)

There is a building in philadelphia that I wonder about. It is a federal building, but the top floor is a private club, I keep meaning to talk to my attorney about that.

The one thing that really annoys me is public or private buildings with metal detectors. Especially in public buildings like museums, ball parks, etc there shouldnt be any CCW restriction, but the metal detectors pretty much kill that.
    Last edited by JLStorm; December 14th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Adams County)

If it really bothers you, you can do something about it.

I believe a Ballpark would be private property, but a public museum, I would ask to speak to the head of security. Ask to see a specific "rule" that prohibits carry. Explain that a public place has no right to make it's own rules that violate the State Laws on the matter.

You should be able to show your LTCF to the guy running the Detector, and then either walk around, or be wanded I guess. It seems to me a public place can't restrict you if they are not on the "list" by state law.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    If it really bothers you, you can do something about it.

I believe a Ballpark would be private property, but a public museum, I would ask to speak to the head of security. Ask to see a specific "rule" that prohibits carry. Explain that a public place has no right to make it's own rules that violate the State Laws on the matter.

You should be able to show your LTCF to the guy running the Detector, and then either walk around, or be wanded I guess. It seems to me a public place can't restrict you if they are not on the "list" by state law.

Yes you are right, I was thinking that ballparks were still owned be the city, but not in the age of corporate ownership.
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    CCinPa,

I read an article written by a lawyer that reviewed carry in Post office.

Can't remember where but summerization is that it is not illegal to carry there.

I'll have to try to find it. Do you have any link or statute that includes PO as off limits?

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html
    True;
    To summarize the fed statute (which I read years ago), It basically says carrying in a post office is illegal (that's as far as the posted signs go, the rest is) unless you are otherwise able to legally carry outside of said post office. In other words. If you are legal outside the post office you are legal inside. It should truly be a crime to falsely (partially) post a law in a fed. building.

I'm new here, glad I found this place.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DR. GLOCK View Post
    True;
    To summarize the fed statute (which I read years ago), It basically says carrying in a post office is illegal (that's as far as the posted signs go, the rest is) unless you are otherwise able to legally carry outside of said post office. In other words. If you are legal outside the post office you are legal inside. It should truly be a crime to falsely (partially) post a law in a fed. building.

I'm new here, glad I found this place.
    The only problem with what you you found is that we are up against the Federal Government in this situation. My problem clearly is that the Gov't has more time and more money than I have to prove or make precedent a case. Should the agveage Joe out there ever be challanged in a situation at a Post Office I would bet the Fed's would do everything in their power to keep an opposing precedent from being set. Way out of my budget and I would never be legal to carry again until I could make such a precedent.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    The only problem with what you you found is that we are up against the Federal Government in this situation. My problem clearly is that the Gov't has more time and more money than I have to prove or make precedent a case. Should the agveage Joe out there ever be challanged in a situation at a Post Office I would bet the Fed's would do everything in their power to keep an opposing precedent from being set. Way out of my budget and I would never be legal to carry again until I could make such a precedent.

No precedent needed. The law is VERY clearly writen (when I read it a few years ago) . There is NO AMBIGUITY in the law. It is not subject to INTERPRETATION. If you are legal outside the PO you are legal INSIDE. If I come across it I will post it. They can NOT arrest you, ask you to leave etc.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for you or me, and I will not let it be an excuse for THEM.

I carry in the post office all the time. I will not be intimidated by ignorance or fascism.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DR. GLOCK View Post
    I will not be intimidated by ignorance or fascism.
    i salute you.

by the way, welcome to PAFOA!

(Erie County)

Was looking some stuff at and came across this on the Brady Campaign's "state gun laws" website.

SCHOOL ZONES
    Is it illegal for CCW permit holders to carry guns into schools? Partial

Pennsylvania - State law does not clearly prohibit people from carrying hidden handguns into schools if they have an easily-obtained CCW permit. The law provides a defense for CCW permit holders to carry a gun into school "for lawful purpose."
    If our friends at Brady write that then I don't think I'd be too concerned. Even if no one has ever tested the law / been charge with violating it.

Went to the Post Office yesterday and noticed they took down the picture sign that said no firearms. Thought that was a little odd?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast