Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: new camera = better pictures

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMonkey View Post
    cool pics. Are those steel targets made of soft steel or something? almost looks like lead. I never shot or touched one before
    Most people make targets out of mild steel. Even semi hard steel can get shredded pretty easily, especially at the distances they're talking about. 50 yards is pretty dang close, with the ammunition that they're using, I'm surprised some of it didn't make it through the other side. On mild steel, FMJ's will shoot through it lots of times at 100 yards. 300 yards can leave some pretty significant craters in it. A lot of it just depends on what steel you're shooting at, and what you're shooting it with.

Disk plow disks are pretty dang hard. With most standard stuff, including standard .223, it won't even leave a dent at 300 yards, it'll just take the paint off the disk. When I shoot the same disk at 500 yards with a 185 grain bullet moving a good clip, shoots right through it. Abrasion resistant steel is on a completely different level. That's what serious targets are made out of, but even it's not invicible. It's also steel that you can't just cut or weld the way that most people would. It has to be heated to specific temperatures, and take enough time to do it so you don't mess up the hardness of the steel. It's also so hard that if it cools down too quickly, it'll just split. AR500 is what the big boys play with.

(Dauphin County)

By the time we were done the target had 2 holes through it. But those were spots that were 2-3 times with the .223

(Allegheny County)

I couldn't get through 3/4" mild steel at 35-40yds with anything.

And it certainly wasn't for lack of hitting it with a few things... Even .308 and 54R wouldn't go through. Closest we got was the 64gr tracers in 5.56. Which proved speed and bullet construction seemed to have the biggest impact on penetration depth in steel.

Be cautious when hitting the same place once there is a crater though. Those can and will turn the bullet back around and spit it back at you. I got hit in the forearm with a jacket when I hit the same spot when the plate was swinging...

Came RIGHT back at me.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; August 23rd, 2011 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I couldn't get through 3/4" mild steel at 35-40yds with anything.

And it certainly wasn't for lack of hitting it with a few things... Even .308 and 54R wouldn't go through. Closest we got was the 64gr tracers in 5.56. Which proved speed and bullet construction seemed to have the biggest impact on penetration depth in steel.

Be cautious when hitting the same place once there is a crater though. Those can and will turn the bullet back around and spit it back at you. I got hit in the forearm with a jacket when I hit the same spot when the plate was swinging...

Came RIGHT back at me.
    LOL, that's some pretty thick mild steel. While you may not have been able to get through it, I'm sure it was showing the wear. Yep, larger caliber size and more kinetic energy isn't always what causes the bullets to penetrate through the steel. I've come to the same conclusions that you have; bullet design counts for a lot, and speed kills. The .22-250, .220 swift, and other calibers that are moving super fast are usually hell on steel.

I was going to mention what you talk about on cratered steel. It's dangerous, and lots of times bullets will end up getting sent back your way. Be careful.

(Allegheny County)

My grandfather had a .220 Swift gun he used for small game. Used to load it so hot the primer would fall out when you opened the action. (His words, not mine) That thing, while unsafe as can be I'm sure. (I don't argue with an 84 y/o man that has done everything he ever could for me at this point in his life.) Will go through steel like nobody's business. He was pushing the 55gr stuff over 4k fps. And has a few hunks of inch thick steel that looks like swiss cheese to prove it...

The steel around the holes is so distorted it looks like you pushed molten hot dimes through the steel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123