Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Need some advice

So I am considering joining a private range and it has been brought to my attention that I should own a shotgun and shoot some clays.

Sounds like fun, but I know virtually nothing about shotguns. I know the basics, but there are so many makes and models, not sure where to start.

So here's what I'm looking for:

1: A reliable shotgun
    2: Less than $400
    3: Good for clays and home defense (I would love a short-barrel, but I'm sure that's not good for accuracy)
    4: What sort of ammo should I be using for clay shooting?
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Need some advice

Remington 870 Pump with a 28" or longer barrel (people might pick on you, but you're on a budget. And, if you don't like it, you're not out $1500 - $15000 on a shotgun)

Really, anything good for clays is not going to be good for self defense / home defense.

2 3/4 inch shells 7.5 or 8 shot is the norm. Pretty much any target load you find will be in the 7.5 or 8 shot size.

Best advice I ever heard for learning to shoot sporting clays, trap, or skeet is this:

Get $1000. Buy a used pump shotgun for $200. Buy $800 worth of ammo. Go shoot.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Need some advice

there are several imported over and under guns in that price range. i would check with dicks sporting goods or bass pro. you should be able to find one there. make sure it has interchangeable chokes (comes in handy) for clays. over and under are not the best choice for hd but it will work. check with wallmart for shells you can get a 100 pack for low 20.00,s in #8 shot federal or winchester. now all you need is a shell bag, ear plugs and glasses and your ready. btw try and get on a relay with some seasoned shooters there advice can be worth it.

(Northumberland County)

Reliable: can't beat a Remington 870, my opinion

Under $400: used Remington 870 if you need to keep price down

Clays and home defense: 870, all kinds of parts and barrels available. Bought a 18' police version, buy a 28" mod choke barrel for it still under $400 likely. Think most popular shotgun made, new & used barrels are EVERYWHERE.

Ammo for trap,skeet and sporting clays: go to Walmart get some "on sale" 8 shot and shoot the shit out of it. Until you make it a habit just learn the essentials for lead and follow through. And you will learn to pump FAST! Great use to get to know the 870 platform, properly cared for they are as close to 99% reliable as you get.

I own Benellis, Rugers, Remingtons, Brownings, Gambas, LC Smiths all sorts of shotguns and the 870 is just as, if not more reliable, than guns costing 3x the price. It is an excellent home defense choice, my opinion.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Cumberland County)

around here you need o/u or auto to even have a chance at the follow up bird. pumps really put you at a disadvantage. your already sucking hind tit just starting out no sense in making it harder to learn.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    around here you need o/u or auto to even have a chance at the follow up bird. pumps really put you at a disadvantage. your already sucking hind tit just starting out no sense in making it harder to learn.
    Think dual purpose, he needs a HD gun also, and under $400 not too many under $400 I'd trust to protect my family with. My buddy used to insist I shoot sporting clays with a pump since all he had was a Mossberg 500, it can be done, but you will not get invited to Nationals I agree with you there, but you don't need a O/U or auto to learn the gun handling skills and string placement.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

Wal Mart sells the Mossberg Maverick (5+1) for $179. Mossy 500 barrels fit this SG and are plentiful. Rifled deer barrel and 18.5 Tac barrel fit true with the Mav. 88 5 rd mag. Cabela's has the Tac barrel for $89. $268 for a two barreled SG, and the Mav 88 holds up very well. I have 3..no, 4 of them. JMHO

There is nothing that says you can't use a long barrel SG as a HD weapon. A tac SG is easier to run through the halls with, but a target SG can definitely be used. JMHO, as well.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

So let me figure a few things out here...

Ammo - 7.5 or 8 birdshot will suffice for clays, but not HD. Best to keep some HD ammo around as well. HD isn't 100% necessary as I have my pistols as well.

SG - 28" barrel with choke tubes, pump-action. Autos and o/u's are going to cost more

Maker - someone reliable

Model - doesn't matter

Does that sound about right?
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Northumberland County)

Sounds good to me.

I shoot clays with my 18.5" bbl 870 police magnum with a straight cylinder solid choke all the time. 7/8 ounce of #8 shot will smack anything that gets thrown at a trap or skeet range.

I once had a self appointed range guru come up tom me and insist that I could not possibly shoot trap with a tac gun. He pointed out my cylinder choke and short barrel and what-not. I told him to be quiet and that the clays didn't know any of this and that he should do me a service and not tell them. When I began to shoot trap with friends and it became clear that my hit percentage was as good as theirs. My buddies kept turning around and whispering, "Shhh, the clays don't know that." until he left us alone.

We all found this vastly amusing.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast