Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Federal Installation

I live on a Federal Installation (Military Post) will this hinder my ability to obtain a concealed permit. I am aware that I would not be permitted to carry one while I am on the post, but what about the reast of the commonwealth.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Federal Installation

You need authorization for on post.

As to the rest of the commwealth check these two threads "stickied" at the top of this section:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...nsylvania.html

Pretty much should sum it up.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Halojm View Post
    I live on a Federal Installation (Military Post) will this hinder my ability to obtain a concealed permit. I am aware that I would not be permitted to carry one while I am on the post, but what about the reast of the commonwealth.

If you live on base - you'll need the base Provost or Commander's permission to have any sort of firearm in your on-base home. ...not many will allow it, most will make you check them in with the armory.

The license itself for carrying conceal is shall issue in PA. Irregardless of whether you live on base. The only thing that would keep you from NOT getting it is criminal/mental records, pending charges, etc.. You will need a PA ID or your military ID and a copy of your orders to serve in PA if you are a resident of another state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Not necessarily true about storing your guns in the armory. If you are married or a single parent living in base housing you are allowed to keep your guns in the house, apartment, etc., no permission needed (I owned guns and stored them in my base housing for all of my 26 years). At one time you had to register the guns with the Security/Military Police but they stopped this after some break ins happened (by SP/MP personnel who stole just the guns). If you are single, and live in the barracks, you can store them in the armory (I do not advocate this) or you can get permission to store them at a friends house on base. The main thing that the base wants to know is, if you reload, where the powder and primers are stored for firefighter safety reasons. There are also restrictions on the amount of powder and primers you can have at any one time. I was never told there was a restriction on the amount of ammo you can have. In fact, in my last squadron it was a standing joke about how much ammo I had stored in my house. I had my FFL for the last 8 years of my military career and never had any problems (and I lived on 2 AFB's and an Army Post). I even stored firearms for 3 of my single subordinates at my last house on base (a total of 11 rifles, shotguns and handguns).

What you cannot do on base or post is to carry concealed unless it is part of your military duties. Also, check with the firing range, many times it will have open hours to let people that are in non-police type duties shoot.

Once you leave the base/post you can conceal just like everyone else in PA (as long as you have your LTCF).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

As I pretty much said in my prior post - it depends on the Provost or Commander's opinion on the matter. You can have varying degrees of what is allowed.

My stint in the USMC as a small arms repairman took me to a few bases. Not one of which allowed the keeping of private arms in barracks or homes on base. All private arms were registered, then checked with the gate guards as you came in, and then I had to sign in/out the arms for the personnel as they needed. I, myself had to have my direct supervisor sign in/out any of my own weapons because my access to gov't and private weapons.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post

What you cannot do on base or post is to carry concealed unless it is part of your military duties.
    Can you carry OPENLY on base?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by chesire17201 View Post
    Can you carry OPENLY on base?
    No.

Unless "on duty", and with issued weaponry.

The most dangerous places to be are "gun free zones."

(Cumberland County)

Thanks Everyone,

I am authorized to have my weapons on the installation and kept in my residents, I had to take the serial #s to the fire department and they had to insure I was storing them properly, lucky enough I have a 22 gun safe. I am going to give it a try, that is submitt my application for concealed carry, I have no bad wrap sheets, so to speak. I will keep you all posted.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Halojm View Post
    Thanks Everyone,

I am authorized to have my weapons on the installation and kept in my residents, I had to take the serial #s to the fire department and they had to insure I was storing them properly, lucky enough I have a 22 gun safe. I am going to give it a try, that is submitt my application for concealed carry, I have no bad wrap sheets, so to speak. I will keep you all posted.
    You're lucky.. I couldn't keep anything at my residence or bunk - heck, I had the keys to the armory and all the guns/ammo that I could shoot for a lifetime. lol but nooooo, had to check the damn things in and put them on a shelf in the back room.

So long as you aren't prohibited, and can prove residency or have your orders for in PA - you should be good-to-go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast