Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default CC Pistol Recommendations

I am also going to post this in Concealed Carry -

I am new to CC and am trying to narrow down a gun choice. I am looking at either a "pocket gun", Kahr P380 or Sig P238 or a larger Kahr CM9 / PM9 or a Glock 26.

Want to make sure it is small enough that I will carry it, I sometimes dress in business clothes and need to tuck in a shirt. The rest of the time it's either a T shirt or sweatshirt untucked.

I like the form factor of the Kahr's, some say they are problematic with FTF / FTE. The SIG P 238 gets pretty good reviews, but it is SA only. The Glock is the Glock, but it is the largest of the bunch and would seem to be the hardest to conceal.

Thoughts?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: CC Pistol Recommendations

My first recommendation would be to shoot the guns you narrow down. Choosing a gun that you will actually carry is very important but not as important as choosing one you can actually hit something with.

The guns you mentioned all have good reviews and manufacturers who will help if any problem develops so I would not be to concerned about that. It would be a matter of checking to make sure that particular gun is reliable with whatever defensive ammo you choose.

As far as what to choose is a personal decision because what works for me may not work for you. I can tell you what I went with. I wanted to be able to always carry yet have the most firepower possible. This led me to two guns.

Keltec P3AT / Ruger LCP : Which one I use depends on whcih one my wife grabbed. They are both outfitted with Crimson trace lasers and are quite a powerful package for such a small pistol. I consider this my always gun because I can even put the Uncle Mikes clip on holster onto my boxer shorts and it stays put. There is no reason to not always have a gun on you with these available.

Glock 26: I chose the Glock over the M&P or XD simply because of all three this was the one I could shoot the fastest with the most accurate hits. The Glock with a ten round magazine disappears even in an t-shirt. I rarely have to "dress around my gun" to carry this but even if I did it would be slight wardrobe change as the gun is really easy to conceal. The only reason I go with the KT at all is for deep concealment or I do not have a belt on which I find is needed for the Glock. The best thing about the Glock is that when it's not used as a CCW or if my clothing permits I can just stick a G19/17 magazine in it and it increases the grip size and capacity. This allows me to keep almost all of my practice to one gun with one manual of arms , trigger pull, sights, POA/POI. The KT has the same manual of arms so I'm able to transition easy enough when needed. You can also get a 22lr kit which allows very cheap practice.

Hope this helps a bit and let us know what you choose. Almost forgot, welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; August 18th, 2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling

(Clinton County)

My daily carry gun is a Ruger LCP. Because of their size they are perfect for CC. If you want a bit more than the 380, check out the Ruger LC9.

I also own a Glock 26. Use the 15 round mag with a grip extention if you want a few more rounds and a better grip.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the reply's! Yes, I would like to shoot some of these before I buy, but other than the G26, not many ranges have these to try.

If anyone out there lives in the Ambler / Southampton area and has a PM9 / P238 / P380 and would be willing to let me shoot them, I would be more than happy to cover range time and ammo!

Thanks.

(Tioga County)

I carry the LCP also when I CC.

This might help some. Get your hands on them and try them.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
    MikeP

(Northampton County)

Many of my students have gone thru my courses with the Ruger LCP. Great little gun. Fill it with the Glaser Powr Ball. Good pocket holster for gun or gun plus crimson trace laser can be had from www.jsholsters.com
    Last edited by Glockman; August 18th, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Teaching people how to shoot safely and accurately for 54 years. www.gunskills.com

(Montgomery County)

Thanks priell3.

Great link!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brightdrrkness View Post
    My daily carry gun is a Ruger LCP. Because of their size they are perfect for CC. If you want a bit more than the 380, check out the Ruger LC9.

I also own a Glock 26. Use the 15 round mag with a grip extention if you want a few more rounds and a better grip.
    I have the LCP with the CT laser and DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster and its my daily carry gun.

I personally would stay away from the LC9 it has to many "safety" features for my tastes. If they would make a model to sell in states that dont require internal locks or loaded chamber indicators and offered them with optional manual safetys and magazine disconects I might consider it.

Basically what I want is a LCP in 9mm that has the same manual of arms in a package that I can wrap my pinkey finger around the grip.

My next gun purchase will be some sort of Kahr either the P9 or CW9.

Pocket guns will definatly take more training to get proficient because of there size vs some of the larger ones like the LC9, Kahr, Walther PPS or Kel-Tec PF9.

The LCP will still be my primary firearm and ill carry the Kahr either IWB or OWB with a concealment garment when possiable.

If I feel that I have to take my S&W M&P 40 FS with me. I should reconsider where im going and why.
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 18th, 2011 at 09:41 AM.

(Luzerne County)

I cc a S&W 442. I know it's a revolver, but I'm old and like the lightweight bugger with +ps in my pocket.

Kahr P380, Kahr PM9 or CW9. Sig 238, Ruger LCP.

Those are my top 5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast