Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default same school for all disciplines?

Do you guys try to keep all your disciplines with the same school? I guess what I'm wondering is should i look for an institute or instructor that does pistol, rifle, and shotgun, basic and advanced? Is it important? Is jumping between schools considered less effective?

Default Re: same school for all disciplines?

Quite the opposite, learning as many different approaches as you can will yield you the best final result. No one trainer is going to be perfect in all aspects for you personally. Learn from as many as you can, take what works from each session and leave the rest.

(Philadelphia County)

Hmm, I never thought about it like that. That's solid advice.

(Chester County)

Some "schools" may have a lot of different instructors under the same roof (US Training Center, TigerSwan, Northern Red, etc.).

Typically the experts on long range sniping and range estimation aren't also IPSC grandmasters or cage fighters.

Some guys are great at multiple disciplines (Kyle Defoor - SEAL sniper, fantastic with a carbine, fantastic pistol shooter...and good with a blade, but not the best [his words]). Most of the highly respected SME's on a topic aren't also the best in multiple disciplines.

I could probably study sniper rifles under Larry Vickers for a year, but he doesn't run sniper classes because he doesn't feel those are his expertise. I could go to Todd Hodnett for that, but I wouldn't want to learn pistol from him.

Ultimately, for me, most any thing I'm serious about learning, I'd want to learn from multiple instructors.

Having trained with some nationally recognized guys, I still picked up (and implemented) a LOT that I picked up with the guys I trained and shot with after my first big class.

Nothing wrong with branching out. A lot of the most respected trainers will recommend other guys for the topics they don't teach.