Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: New 1911 suggestions

You could always go down the path Rocketfoot went down and get a Delta Elite in 10mm. $50 for 100 rds., but use it for bullseye shooting and you won't notice the price difference in ammo, too much. It is a BMF.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northumberland County)

Fusion Firearms 4" 10mm with a Bobbed frame and light rail.............oh wait that's my dream.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

I can't speak for the newer E Series, but Smith make a damn great 1911, I'm partial to the external extractor they utilize.
    Should leave you plenty of change out of 2k as well, so get 2.

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: New 1911 suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Thinking about buying a new 1911, and after selling off a few other guns that are not seeing much use I am thinking that I might have around 2k (might be able to squeeze a little more out of that) to work with for a budget.

Right now I am looking at either at the following:

Kimber Gold Combat Royal II
    S&W "E" series 1911
    Nighthawk talon II

Thoughts, suggestions??
    I have to give you another of those "it depends" answers. I own several 1911's, from a diminutive Colt Officer's model to a full size Springfield Armory "Black Stainless" with all the bells and whistles, to a Kimber Custom Shop and a newly acquired Ruger SR1911.

All 1911's require a careful break in of at least 300 rounds if you're going to carry it for a defense gun. Target pistols simply improve with age if properly cared for.

You didn't say what your principle purpose for a 1911 is. Bullseye? Personal defense? Just pretty to look at? Bragging rights? All are legitimate reasons, but I wouldn't look at my Springfield as a defense gun, or my Officer's model as a target gun. I bought the Kimber as a show off, and for defense. The Ruger is now thoroughly wrung out, and I rate it as a defense gun. It hits point of aim at 25 feet, and groups nice and tight. Sounds like you need to decide precisely what you're going to do with your proposed 1911. At the end of the day, a 2500 dollar carry gun is wunnerful if you can afford it, but you might find an Armscor (Phillipines) under a number of trade names, including Iver Johnson, for 450 bucks to be just as effective.

Get back to us and let us know what your pleasure is. Any reason to own a 1911 is a good reason, but don't waste your money on stuff you may never need.
    WOP 2-The Original Spaghetti Western

Quote Originally Posted by WOP2 View Post
    Get back to us and let us know what your pleasure is. Any reason to own a 1911 is a good reason, but don't waste your money on stuff you may never need.
    It is really just to have for range use, and the enjoyment of having something that is well built, nice, and that looks good. In alot of ways I am look at firearms not only as tools, but also as interesting "works of art" that are enjoyable to own, hence my interest to put money down on one that may be more expensive.

Plenty of the other, less expensive choices presented are viable, but each one pretty much has something that irks me. The S&W "E" pistols are really, really nice pistols, and I had given serious thought to one of them, but the "idiot" warnings that are stamped loud and proud onto the frame bother me too much. Same with Ruger (not to get off topic but IMO Ruger ruined the their 22 caliber line by tranistioning from the Mark II to the Mark III series and adding more warnings and the loaded chamber indicator)

Not really looking at it for a carry gun either, I use my SA champion TRP for that.

If you don't like the Smith or the Ruger, and already owned a Colt, you should probably start looking at a custom shop gun. WC, LB, EB, or STI; or, buy a Regent as a base 1911 and build one the way you want it.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: New 1911 suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Nope...Not my first one. Currently own the following:

SA Loaded SS full size
    Kimber Crimson Carry II
    SA TRP Champion model (from 1999)

Previously owned a Colt series 70 which I had to sell years ago.

The Kimber Crimson carry will be sold to help finance this new purchase. Not really looking for a carry gun as much as I am looking for a nice looking, well made 1911 for range use.
    O.K., you want to spend 2 grand on a range gun. That's fine, if you're a competitve shooter. Sounds to me you are looking for a "Barbeque Gun". I spent a lot of time in South Texas, and the Barbeque Gun was the .45 ACP, or maybe even a fancy Peacemaker six shooter that you carried in a custom leather rig just for show. Take a look at the Deputy Marshall custom rig by Kirpatrick http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/se...ty-marshall-71, and while you're at it, take at look at TALO's website, http://www.taloinc.com/colt.htm You'll find some real beauties there, some very suitable for the range, but most just for show. I hope you enjoy looking at those .45's as much as I do.
    WOP 2-The Original Spaghetti Western

Quote Originally Posted by WOP2 View Post
    O.K., you want to spend 2 grand on a range gun. That's fine, if you're a competitve shooter. Sounds to me you are looking for a "Barbeque Gun". I spent a lot of time in South Texas, and the Barbeque Gun was the .45 ACP, or maybe even a fancy Peacemaker six shooter that you carried in a custom leather rig just for show. Take a look at the Deputy Marshall custom rig by Kirpatrick http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/se...ty-marshall-71, and while you're at it, take at look at TALO's website, http://www.taloinc.com/colt.htm You'll find some real beauties there, some very suitable for the range, but most just for show. I hope you enjoy looking at those .45's as much as I do.

Pretty fancy stuff there pardner....

Competitive shooter? No...not unless competing against myself counts. Always wanted to do that type of shooting though.

In any case, I gave it some thought over the past day or so, and decided that 2k+ for a 1911 is a bit much, especially considering I really only get to shoot once a month or so.

I paid a visit to Tanners today and picked up SA LW Operator...sweet looking gun that appears to be well built, and a SA's customer service and lifetime warranty cant be beat. With the other 1k I had budgeted I picked up a NIB Colt LE6920 (these are discontinued btw, hard to believe).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123