Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: French Creek

(Montgomery County)

Default French Creek

So I went to French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville on Monday 8-15-11 at about 1030. My friend had never been there before and was interested in trying the range. I have been to that range numerous times. First off, the guy behind the counter was so freaking rude. It wasn't even the lazy eye guy (who is ALWAYS rude). I never saw this particular guy there before and hope I never do again. It seems that French Creek is hiring some first class a-holes as of late. Don't get me wrong, there are some really nice and knowledgeable people there, but they're starting to dwindle. When I went to pay for one pack of targets for $1.00 I realized that I had forgotten my cash and pulled out my debit card. Doucher tells me that I can't pay for the targets with my debit card because they have to pay a percentage. OK, I'm fine with that but have it listed somewhere that there is a minimum purchase for credit/debit. Luckily my friend had cash on him. I think it was just the way the guy spoke to me, like I was a joke becuase I didn't have a buck on me. Secondly, my friend accidentally broke the carrier on one of the lanes, and instead of giving my friend a new lane, which there were plenty of, he was told he needed to share my lane. That is fine, but Doucher behind the counter didn't even check with me first. Then after we're done shooting and come out, Doucher asks us if we worked in the area. I told him yeah, then he tried asking us where. Not sure what that was all about (he wasn't being friendly) so I just brushed it off. He gave me a dirty look then we left. I am starting to get sick and tired of all of these people at French Creek and other stores (Insite Firearms in West Norriton) that think they are better than me because they work at a gun store. I'm going to try French Creek one more time. If I have another bad experience I am going to raise holy hell with the manager. Needless to say my friend was very disappointed in how we were treated and said he will never go there again. This isn't how business should be conducted. I wish Seneca Firearms in Green Lane had an indoor range. Sorry for the rant, I'll get off my soapbox now.

(Chester County)

Default Re: French Creek

Join a private gun club. If you're willing to drive to French Creek to shoot, then drive a couple miles further to the Kimberton Fish and Game Assoc. Or... Go down 100, hang a right on 23 and head out to the Northern Chester County Sportsmen Club.

I belong to both clubs and have never had a bad experience at either one.
    Μολὼν λάβε

I gave them a second chance, and I wish that I hadn't. Run, don't walk away from them. There are plenty of other shops that aren't populated by assholes.

(Lehigh County)

Have made a few purchases and used the range a few times at French Creek. The time I purchased a revolver and the salesman was very nice (older semi-balding). The OTHER TIME however.. well there is a rather tall guy with reddish hair, glasses, and wears a baseball cap, maybe mid 30's. Totally rude, and acts like he's doing you a favor by having to work. You all know the type. They are in all forms of retail.

So:

I asked to see a few different pistols from the cases, seperately of course, and after the second one he started huffing and puffing and acting like I was doing something wrong. Then I mentioned a special on another model that was listed on their website that wasn't in the store and he's like "dude they bring and sell guns in here by the box, the internet isn't always updated" and I'm like "ok, uh, sorry". I went in with plenty of cash that day to make a purchase and after about 5 minutes of dealing with the guy I walked out. Only went back to use the range which I like.

So the short version is, I guess it depends who you deal with there. Has anyone else had interactions with the employee I'm referring to?
    Last edited by Storm88000; September 16th, 2011 at 03:15 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    Have made a few purchases and used the range a few times at French Creek. The time I purchased a revolver and the salesman was very nice (older semi-balding). The OTHER TIME however.. well there is a rather tall guy with reddish hair, glasses, and wears a baseball cap, maybe mid 30's. Totally rude, and acts like he's doing you a favor by having to work. You all know the type. They are in all forms of retail.

So:

I asked to see a few different pistols from the cases, seperately of course, and after the second one he started huffing and puffing and acting like I was doing something wrong. Then I mentioned a special on another model that was listed on their website that wasn't in the store and he's like "dude they bring and sell guns in here by the box, the internet isn't always updated" and I'm like "ok, uh, sorry". I went in with plenty of cash that day to make a purchase and after about 5 minutes of dealing with the guy I walked out. Only went back to use the range which I like.

So the short version is, I guess it depends who you deal with there. Has anyone else had interactions with the employee I'm referring to?
    I know exactly who you're talking about. That guy has such a bad attitude, I've walked out numerous times. The sales people are definitely hit or miss there. When I bought my Glock during Glock Fest there, the salesmen was extremely nice, and patient with me as it was my first handgun purchase. When I went to the range however, the lazy eye guy that seems to be a bit of a local celebrity for what a prick he is was there and of course gave me a boatload of crap. So yeah, hit or miss.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by NAV3 View Post
    I know exactly who you're talking about. That guy has such a bad attitude, I've walked out numerous times. The sales people are definitely hit or miss there. When I bought my Glock during Glock Fest there, the salesmen was extremely nice, and patient with me as it was my first handgun purchase. When I went to the range however, the lazy eye guy that seems to be a bit of a local celebrity for what a prick he is was there and of course gave me a boatload of crap. So yeah, hit or miss.

Good - glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed. I haven't yet experienced the lazy-eye-guy, although I'll probably be back there this week so I'll look

P.S. saw they are having another glock fest this week

"Lazy eye guy" has a name. It's Derrick. And if you get to know him, you'll find out that he's not so bad after all. Actually, he has a sense of humor and can even crack a smile every once in a while. Yeah, there's a little bit of bark and bite there, but nothing unusual on the part of gun shop staff.

When a customer goes to a gun shop, it's pretty much a focused experience, get what you want, in and out, and off you go. But if you go into a gun shop and stay there for a bit, you begin to get an appreciation for the squirrel farm that a shop can be, especially one with a range.

Firstly, it's a place with firearms, and some shops attract a steady stream of folks who should be prohibited, if they aren't already. Whatever it is that is lacking in their lives, some of them, like modern-day Travis Bickles, see the whole culture as some sort of spiritual JB Weld with which they can fill and spackle the voids in their existences.

Secondly, way too many people think that buying a Ruger LCP and firing a couple hundred rounds through it makes them some sort of an expert. It creates a situation in which a ton of erroneous information is generated and disseminated, and poor gun handling practices go uncorrected because proper practices were never learned.

Imagine all of that flowing through a place like French Creek Outfitters, and then put yourself in their shoes. Spend a day playing Please Touch Museum for delusional folks who will probably never buy anything, and riding herd on the range while you're trying to keep others from putting holes in the walls, the ceiling, and each other.

When I was a kid, I worked at a sporting goods store in downtown Philly called Pearson's. Guess where I worked? Guess what I sold? Believe me, it isn't at all easy to deal with the public, and especially not in a fairly high-stress environment that attracts more than its fair share of worrisome mouth-breathers.

Mind you, I'm not throwing stones at present company, but I'm simply trying to provide some balance against opinions that tend to be negative against shops in general and partially influenced by dissatisfaction with certain shops because of profitable pricing practices on their part.

(Chester County)

They have good hours, a range, competitive gun prices, they generally don't have an attitude that I see. I can find a problem everywhere you can buy or shoot guns, should I not buy or shoot then? Someone mentioned Kimberton Fish & Game, great club, but their rules say you can't carry your carry gun, some people might have a problem with that, btw at FCO you can carry.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    "Lazy eye guy" has a name. It's Derrick. And if you get to know him, you'll find out that he's not so bad after all. Actually, he has a sense of humor and can even crack a smile every once in a while. Yeah, there's a little bit of bark and bite there, but nothing unusual on the part of gun shop staff.

When a customer goes to a gun shop, it's pretty much a focused experience, get what you want, in and out, and off you go. But if you go into a gun shop and stay there for a bit, you begin to get an appreciation for the squirrel farm that a shop can be, especially one with a range.

Firstly, it's a place with firearms, and some shops attract a steady stream of folks who should be prohibited, if they aren't already. Whatever it is that is lacking in their lives, some of them, like modern-day Travis Bickles, see the whole culture as some sort of spiritual JB Weld with which they can fill and spackle the voids in their existences.

Secondly, way too many people think that buying a Ruger LCP and firing a couple hundred rounds through it makes them some sort of an expert. It creates a situation in which a ton of erroneous information is generated and disseminated, and poor gun handling practices go uncorrected because proper practices were never learned.

Imagine all of that flowing through a place like French Creek Outfitters, and then put yourself in their shoes. Spend a day playing Please Touch Museum for delusional folks who will probably never buy anything, and riding herd on the range while you're trying to keep others from putting holes in the walls, the ceiling, and each other.

When I was a kid, I worked at a sporting goods store in downtown Philly called Pearson's. Guess where I worked? Guess what I sold? Believe me, it isn't at all easy to deal with the public, and especially not in a fairly high-stress environment that attracts more than its fair share of worrisome mouth-breathers.

Mind you, I'm not throwing stones at present company, but I'm simply trying to provide some balance against opinions that tend to be negative against shops in general and partially influenced by dissatisfaction with certain shops because of profitable pricing practices on their part.
    None of these things excuse rude or bad behavior. If they are tired of their job then they should find another one. They are more than welcome to reprimand those not practicing proper gun handling, but there is no need to be an ass to the rest of the customers.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    None of these things excuse rude or bad behavior. If they are tired of their job then they should find another one. They are more than welcome to reprimand those not practicing proper gun handling, but there is no need to be an ass to the rest of the customers.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Be an asshole to me, and depending on the severity I MAY give your business another chance. Be stupid again and I am more than happy to take my substantial business elsewhere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast