Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Question about Lackawanna County

Having only been in the area for a few years, I am interested in applying for a carry permit, but am not sure how I need to go about doing that in Lackawanna Co. Any info that will point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Question about Lackawanna County

Go to the county courthouse in downtown Scranton. Find the sheriff's dept. They will help you.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jrbib24 View Post
    Having only been in the area for a few years, I am interested in applying for a carry permit, but am not sure how I need to go about doing that in Lackawanna Co. Any info that will point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Well first off I will tell you that the county has every application and form needed to conduct county business online except the application for LTCF so that will force you to take a trip to the courthouse. My advice is to do google search for the same form but only for luzerne county and then download it and fill it out. All the questions are the same and you will need to non family references so before you go there be sure you have 2 people you can count on that you must list with name address and phone number and they must also be from Lackawanna county.

So no you are prepared to do this in one trip because once you get there you can transpose all the information onto their application and you will walk out with your permit in hand within an hour or less. they do permits monday through friday and I advise you not going there if it is after 4pm.

Also one nice thing about Lackawanna County is you do not need your refferences to sign your application like Luzerne County does. I hope this was a help to you.

Oh also I did not take notice of your age but if you are a senior citizeen I do know they charge less.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Lackawanna County)

A few oddities in Lackawanna county :

1. You have to use one of "their" forms. I brought one that I downloaded it was already filled out. Nope I had to fill it out here, all over again.

2. Bring a money order for the correct amount. No checks, no cash.

3. The best part, the whole process took 15 mins. Walk out with the license in hand.

That was my experience four and a half years ago. Almost time to renew, see how it goes this time
    Last edited by CZ40P; January 12th, 2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    . All the questions are the same and you will need to non family references so before you go there be sure you have 2 people you can count on that you must list with name address and phone number and they must also be from Lackawanna county.
    Is this unique to Lackawanna county ? I used people from Philly and Allegheny and NC for my license in Susquehanna County and the same with Allegheny county used references from Philly and didn't have a problem

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    Is this unique to Lackawanna county ? I used people from Philly and Allegheny and NC for my license in Susquehanna County and the same with Allegheny county used references from Philly and didn't have a problem

I am not positive but I was there about a month ago so that my girlfriend could get her LTCF and their form did day the references had to be Lackawanna County residents. They never called the references but that what the application requested now it very well may be possible if non county references were used that it may not be challenged because they were quite nice to deal with. I hold a Luzerne County permit but it is several years old and I cant remember if their for requested references from the same county but the strange part is Luzerne County makes you run around to your tow references to make them sign their signature to the application.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Indiana County)

Lackawanna County's instruction sheet may state that residents must or should be Lackawanna County residents, but the PSP-provideed form that Lackawanna County must use (SP 4-127) shows no such requirement. It simply states, "Two References - Not Family Members"

Use whatever references you have. The Sheriff has up to 45 days to approve or deny, and can only deny for reasons stated in the UFA (and not being a Lackawanna County resident isn't one of them).

(Lackawanna County)

sorry to bring back a OLD post but I was wondering if you still need to use a Money Order. I thought they took checks now? If not do you know what the cost is?

Thanks

(Lackawanna County)

I think cost is $31.00. I'm pretty sure I paid cash last time I renewed mine.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    This varies from county to county. Some only require two references, and some want them to be county residents. To the best of my knowledge no one has been a test case yet for whether this is legal.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast