Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Best Copper Remover?

Hey everyone, What is the best solvent for removing copper fouling from a barrel? Im considering trying Sweets 7.62 or Wipeout w/ accelerator but cant decide which is the best for removing copper. Ive heard that sweets will actually hurt the barrel if left in too long. Which is the best solvent to use? I read that i should apply sweets then do my usual cleaning afterwards, meanwhile all i have to do with wipeout is spray it in let it sit then wipe it out. Thanks for the input guys
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Best Copper Remover?

The Montana Extreme family of solvents has some really good copper remover. http://www.montanaxtreme.com/ I use the Copper Killer and it works great. If the copper is really bad you might have to go to the copper cream and a tight patch.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

HOPPE's

Bore Foam

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: Best Copper Remover?

Crack addicts, dopers, meth heads - they're GREAT at removing copper! Pipes, gutters, wiring - you NAME it!

I've got a bottle of some particularly VILE stuff in my basement, the name of which eludes me at the moment. When I find it later, I'll post it.

(Armstrong County)

There was a forum where a guy bought a bunch of different brands, made sample cups, and tossed a bullet in each of them. He weighed the bullet before, during and after. You could see the color of the solutions change as they sat in the cups. This was a multi-day experiment.

Im going to keep looking for it, thought i had it saved as a favorite.
    *edit* this was one of the tests i have seen
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...1021318&page=1

I personally use Butches Bore Shine, because i have a butt load of it and it works. Havnt felt like buying anything else until my supply is out.
    Last edited by Nate7667; August 16th, 2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: i was wrong
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    There was a forum where a guy bought a bunch of different brands, made sample cups, and tossed a bullet in each of them. He weighed the bullet before, during and after. You could see the color of the solutions change as they sat in the cups. This was a multi-day experiment.
    I want to say Montana Extreme 50BMG or Foam Out w/acc were the top two.

Im going to keep looking for it, thought i had it saved as a favorite.
    *edit* this was one of the tests i have seen
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...1021318&page=1

I personally use Butches Bore Shine, because i have a butt load of it and it works. Havnt felt like buying anything else until my supply is out.
    Montana Extreme was not one of the top two. He was not impressed at with it, especially for the smell and all. He did like Wipeout, and if you look through the entire thread, he liked some others as well.

I personally use Wipeout and leave overnight, or use Wipeout with Accelerator and leave for most of the day. It was recommended to me by my gunsmith who is a BR shooting (which says a lot). He likes Sweets and Butches Bore Shine too, but you have to keep an eye on them and can't leave them in the barrel. So I ended up choosing to use Wipeout. For me, the stuff just flat out works, and it will NOT damage your barrel. It doesn't have a strong smell, you don't have to use any patches, and it works. I can get my barrels to super shiny, nothing in the bore. It takes very little effort (just running some patches), and there's less chance of damaging your barrel with brushes, getting them stuck, harsh pushing and pulling, etc.

(Cumberland County)

I have Barnes CR-10 which works pretty well. Just don't spill it. The smell is almost unbearable.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Montana Extreme was not one of the top two. He was not impressed at with it, especially for the smell and all. He did like Wipeout, and if you look through the entire thread, he liked some others as well.

I personally use Wipeout and leave overnight, or use Wipeout with Accelerator and leave for most of the day. It was recommended to me by my gunsmith who is a BR shooting (which says a lot). He likes Sweets and Butches Bore Shine too, but you have to keep an eye on them and can't leave them in the barrel. So I ended up choosing to use Wipeout. For me, the stuff just flat out works, and it will NOT damage your barrel. It doesn't have a strong smell, you don't have to use any patches, and it works. I can get my barrels to super shiny, nothing in the bore. It takes very little effort (just running some patches), and there's less chance of damaging your barrel with brushes, getting them stuck, harsh pushing and pulling, etc.
    Yep, you're right. I was going off my memory, which was wrong. LOL
    After i found the buried link in my favorites, i went back and read through it.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Centre County)

Windex.

Anything with some ammonia in the solution should work well.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast