Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Private range??

(Pike County)

Default Re: Private range??

Quote Originally Posted by SFMarine View Post
    How's it going everyone? Is 183 still out if control even after they charge everyone for a range permit now? It's still unfortunate that the shotgun range closed down.
    183 has been moderately OK the last two times I was there, but there have been on several occasions times when I've just had to pack up my stuff and leave. Once, 2 guys showed up that looked pretty young; perhaps college age. They were shooting pistols. No weapon safety discipline, rapid firing more than 6 rounds, shooting in front of the firing line, and get this... one even walked down range without even clearing first with the me or the other rifle shooters on the 50 yard range. Now, if they won't do that... who's to say they won't take a potshot if we call a cold range and walk down to change targets?

I finally got my LTCF from Sheriff Bueki's office, so I guess I'll keep a loaded pistol holstered under my shirt if I do end up going to the range alone.

FWIW, the last Saturday I was there a ranger did arrive to check if everyone had a range permit. That was the first time I've ever seen someone come up to patrol the area. I asked him why appearances by rangers were so rare, and he told me that they've all had to cover wider areas now making it more difficult for them to patrol the shooting ranges on a daily basis.
    Last edited by amstel78; August 21st, 2011 at 06:41 AM.

(Wayne County)

Ya..I've been going to the range ever since my old man took me as a kid and even then I only saw the range officer maybe 5 times. So did you see anyone leave that did not have a permit? That must be interesting to watch.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    183 has been moderately OK the last two times I was there, but there have been on several occasions times when I've just had to pack up my stuff and leave. Once, 2 guys showed up that looked pretty young; perhaps college age. They were shooting pistols. No weapon safety discipline, rapid firing more than 6 rounds, shooting in front of the firing line, and get this... one even walked down range without even clearing first with the me or the other rifle shooters on the 50 yard range. Now, if they won't do that... who's to say they won't take a potshot if we call a cold range and walk down to change targets?

I finally got my LTCF from Sheriff Bueki's office, so I guess I'll keep a loaded pistol holstered under my shirt if I do end up going to the range alone.

FWIW, the last Saturday I was there a ranger did arrive to check if everyone had a range permit. That was the first time I've ever seen someone come up to patrol the area. I asked him why appearances by rangers were so rare, and he told me that they've all had to cover wider areas now making it more difficult for them to patrol the shooting ranges on a daily basis.
    I actually do the same thing. IWB carry. I don't trust people enough to leave my firearms on a bench with the possibility of them growing legs or hearing a round sizzle by my head .

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by SFMarine View Post
    Ya..I've been going to the range ever since my old man took me as a kid and even then I only saw the range officer maybe 5 times. So did you see anyone leave that did not have a permit? That must be interesting to watch.
    I was surprised; everyone actually produced a permit... whether it was a range permit or hunting permit I don't know, but everyone was legit that day.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    I actually do the same thing. IWB carry. I don't trust people enough to leave my firearms on a bench with the possibility of them growing legs or hearing a round sizzle by my head .
    It's disappointing to think that I'd actually have to consider protecting myself from fellow firearm owners. But, I digress... there are always idiots in every hobby or walk of life.

Someone once told me that a guy was murdered for his weapons at one of the SGLs... can't recall which one, but he had a silenced Remington SPS and another rifle, and was shot in the back. The perp was eventually caught though. Scary stuff man.

(Lackawanna County)

I agree and it is kind of disheartening. Ive had two experiences out there that have really made me think twice about being unarmed at any time out there. First a lady walked up to the pistol target without clearing the line and just started blasting away from about ten feet. The second was an old man sitting at the far right pistol bench and walking rounds into the 50 yard line target. His first round hit about 15 yards in front of me. I was not a happy camper that day.

(Lackawanna County)

well im about to head out there for a few rounds. hopefully its not underwater.

(Lackawanna County)

good day to shoot. Actually say a conservation officer who asked for my range permit. I told him that it was the first time Ive ever seen anyone out there and he was surprised by that. He said he tries to get out there a couple times a day to keep the riff raff out.
    backstops on the 100 are getting a little thin and there were some shotgun shells at the benches too. I didnt venture over to idiot land. lol

This place has an indoor range out by Wayne Memorial hospital. Only pistols and .22's no magnums. Place is cheap nothing fancy but the owner is a great guy and ammo is pretty reasonable if you don't bring your own. It's a 50ft range. I think it's $20/yr then $8/hr not sure on the exact price.

http://www.heberlings.com/
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Pike County)

Ive had some scary experiences there also (but still go). Once i ws at the 25, an older gentleman and kid were at the 50 w a .22 rifle. Well I heard a 'zzzziipppp", looked over and saw he was shooting at a milk jug in front of a rock. I almost went ape sh*t. Then another kid trying to clear a .40 cal glock doing everything short of taking a hammer to the exposed primer. That place can be like the wild west. I have seen the GCO's there almost every weekend. I ssmile when they send people packing for not having permits as the green and whit lic plates fade into the sunset.

Be safe out there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast