Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Glock accuracy challenged

I recently purchased a Gen 4 Glock 19, and as much as I hate to admit it, I think I am accuracy challenged. After my first range session, I realized that I could not abide such a poor trigger, so I installed a 3.5# connector and a NY trigger. This greatly improved the feel of the trigger pull.

I took a few guns to the range the other day (1911, Sig 226, S&W JFrame, Glock), and run a few hundred rounds through them. I start out with the 1911 and the Sig, and am easily grouping around the bulls-eye at 15 yards. Even with the JFrame, I am able to keep things together at that range with some concentration.

When I pull up the Glock, my groups are all over the paper. I can keep some semblance of a grouping, but only if I really concentrate. The level of concentration required to keep my groups together is on par with, or worse than the little revolver. I have no doubt the gun itself is capable of good accuracy.

I'm sure there are plenty of Glock shooters in here, so do you have any insight or tips? It seems to me that the stock Glock sites have way too much daylight showing? I love the size and weight of the gun, but I cannot really use it for primary carry unless I can easily group at that range when not under any pressure.

Thanks in advance.
    Stay frosty....

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Glock accuracy challenged

If you can shoot a J frame well in double action at 15 yards you should have no issues with a Glock.

New sights are probably a good idea. The plastic things that come stock aren't the greatest.
    Is there a specific problem you're noticing? Or are you just all over?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Berks County)

I switched to the Big Dots on my G19 and can shoot approximately 5 inch groups now at 75 feet. Much improved over the factory ones, I don't shoot enough right now to tighten up that group yet. also, I was all over the place when I purchased 115gr. junk bullets from Wall-mart. Now I am shooting better bullets 124gr. +P's and love them.

I agree if you can shoot any of the guns you mentioned at 15 yards a Glock 19 should shoot quarter size groups at 15 yards or at least fist size groups. Could be the ammo or just you not use to the Glock trigger. Usually its easier to shoot then most DA/SA , but everybody is different. There are a few people out there that just can't shoot Glocks and don't like the way they feel, look or shoot. I like DAa/SA, Revolvers, Berettas, 1911s and GLOCKS. All three of my Glocks shoot lights out.

You may not can be a Glock man.
    Last edited by Neko456; August 15th, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

(Blair County)

My glock 20 in stock form was just as accurate as my p229. I found I had to pull the trigger almost to the break and then aim and finish the trigger pull. I couldnt just aim it and shoot.
    Putting it against a 1911 trigger isnt fair. Same with double action revolver trigger pull. The sig....is still miles better, but its twice the price....a glock is a glock...a cheap peice of plastic that goes bang every time. It takes some getting used to striker fired pistold triggers compared to the other 3 normal triggers that you shot.

(Blair County)

Were you shooting lead?

Sounds like the G19 just doesn't fit your hand. Question for you; do you find yourself readjusting your grip to get it right? After every one or two shots? If so, then I would say your issue is the profile of the grip. If you have a grip that fits you well, you should be able to go for longer string of fire without the gun feeling like it has been moved out of place in your hand. Some grips just plain disagree with certain hands. That was the reason I got rid of my P220, the grip just didn't fit right and I could not group tightly with it no matter how I shot it. Fixed that problem with a 1911.

If you've eliminated the trigger as the source of inaccuracy, then its likely the case that the gun just doesn't fit you. I have observed that in cases where the Glock (Teutonic Block) of grip doesn't fit the user, the oval profile of the S&W M&P grips is the solution to the problem. Just my $0.02
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Were you shooting lead?
    Nope. 115 FMJ WWB
    Stay frosty....

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Glock accuracy challenged

i am somewhat surprised that you like the ny trigger set up. try taking out the ny trigger and put the original spring back in. leave the 3.5 connector in place. see if this set up is more productive for you. this is my std. set up on all my glocks. i don,t even bother to shoot them until this change has been made. it took me several months and a lot of shooting untill i got used to the glock trigger but once you get it they all shoot the same. if the sights are giving you grief i have found the tru-glo tfo sights to be helpful. they are bright in the day and are great night sights as well. $ for the sights should be around 100.00 or a tad less. good luck getting it right, nothing more frustrating than a large group.

(Indiana County)

You're not resting either the pointer or middle finger of your off hand on the front of the trigger guard are you?

When I had the shop, I would let people shoot at my range when they complained of the accuracy of a Glock, many times I witnessed this, and most times they didn't realize they were doing it. This can create a constant push/pull effect.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast