Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: New to Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
    Well, that's not currently an option given that I have signed a lease. If this place sucks, I'll move when it's up.
    Welcome to the city. It doesn't suck, it has quite a lot to offer. Good eating, from high end dinning to corner sandwich shops. Plenty of nightlife, a lot of historical and cultural attractions. Every major varity of sports team.

Enjoy Philly.

(Ardent supporter & defender, lifelong resident.)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Don't move here. Live outside the city....

I regret it everyday and constantly plan my departure.
    While i don't get it, a lot of people actually really love living in Philly.

To OP: If you want to go shooting let me know. My brother works at one of the local ranges in the NE.
    Last edited by Valorius; August 15th, 2011 at 04:01 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
    I'm a California resident moving to Philadelphia.
    Welcome! Don't listen to those bad-mouthing Philadelphia. It's cities they don't like. Frankly, in RKBA terms, Philly is an above average city. Compared to California, Philly is like Galt's Gulch: Shall Issue, no AWB, no mag limits, no waiting periods, you can buy just about anything, up to and including a .50 BMG Barrett.

You either like cities or you don't. Other people's opinions are just that. They don't have to live your life. Philly has about the same generic city-hassles as other cities.

Getting a LTCF in Philly is a moderate hassle, but it can certainly be done and if you're careful (don't lie during the interview, for example) you'll get your LTCF.

I'm sure someone here can cite chapter and verse (and you really should learn chapter and verse before getting here), but you can possess an unloaded, cased firearm to/from the range.

There's no law regarding having a firearm in your apartment -- BUT, read your lease carefully. A lot of leases are boilerplate that the landlord downloaded from the Internet and might have an "no firearms" clause. In my brief apartment stay in Philly (before buying a place), my original lease had such a clause. I just had the landlord cross out that clause and all was well.

If you move to anywhere near the downtown area, get in touch and I'll bring you into to Philadelphia Archery and Gun as a guest.

I don't think it's just an anti-city thing. I've traveled all across the US, and visited a lot of cities.

Philly is without a doubt a toilet compared to many of them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I don't think it's just an anti-city thing. I've traveled all across the US, and visited a lot of cities.

Philly has good areas and bad areas. It has corrupt pols and a largely anti-RKBA police force. Virtually all cities have that. The Philly-PA combo has lower taxes than many cities.

More to the point: if you want to live in a Northeast Atlantic big city AND you want RKBA, there's not even the slightest choice. Philly should be compared to its regional peers: Baltimore, DC, Newark, NYC, Boston.

Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Newark, NYC, Boston. In RKBA terms, one of these is not like the others.

How many similar-sized (population >1 mil) cities are like that? Not any I know of within a 600 mile radius, at any rate.

(Philadelphia County)

Welcome to PAFOA, the place that loves to hate Philly.
    And welcome to Philly, the place that averages better than one homicide per day. At the current rate we should be cleansed of most undesirables in a few years :-)

Philly is a city of neighborhoods; good ones and bad ones. Quality of life is generally influenced by which you choose. I enjoy living here, hopefully you will too.

(Philadelphia County)

I've traveled a lot and always try to keep an open mind. I find that cities are cities. Some substitute one thing for another but in general they're all plagued with a subset of "city things".

Boston - anal-rape-expensive
    Los Angeles - a cruel joke only a therapist could understand (and profit from)
    Rome, Italy - world class corruption with a european flair, terrorism
    London - we don't have nearly enough time to get into it

There are cities I'd still like to visit in the US. I'm always intrigued by cities with more relaxed gun laws of course. I do notice that every city I visit seems clean compared to Philly.

You know IMO all the cities you just mentioned are toilets too.

Want a gorgeous, beautiful city?

Ogden, Utah.

One trip there, and you will never again mistake Philadelphia for a "nice" city. I've lived in Philly most of my life. It well and truly is a toilet in almost every sense of the word.

High taxes, abusive police, miles and miles of wasteland, hundreds of drug corners, high crime rates, some of the most savage criminals on earth, congestion, and the PPA.

This place is a toilet.

Philadelphia:

There are miles and miles and miles of vast wasteland in this city that looks exactly like these pictures. And if you live here, you get to pay an extra 5% in city wage taxes to SUPPORT the people that live in those ghettos.

You can't polish a turd, no matter how hard you try.

To me, this is the most telling picture of all, and shows just how ugly philly is when you step just a few blocks outside of the "pretty" (not to me?) downtown areas....

Last edited by Valorius; August 16th, 2011 at 02:22 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Ogden, Utah huh? Looks nice but no skyscrapers
    If everyone who likes cities shared your opinion we'd ALL move to Ogden Utah and it too would be a toilet.

I'm approaching half a century in this place and have never lived in or frequented areas like those pictured. I've never been mugged, shot, stabbed, groped, raped or rolfed (although I heard it feels good).

I've also spent my entire adult life in commercial photography. I could easily put together a photo essay depicting an entirely different Philadelphia; Boathouse Row, restaurant row, antiques row, Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square, Italian Market area, Mt Airy Victorian homes, Packer Park, The Reserves, Girard Estate, Art Museum, FDR Park, The Linc, Citizen's Bank Park... It's all about packaging.

For those who choose to focus on urban blight and avoid the city, that's more parking for me I've tried the rural life and although I found it very relaxing it was hardly satisfying.

If we all had the same taste it wouldn't be much fun and there'd only be one flavor of ice cream.

(Philadelphia County)

There are miles and miles and miles of vast wasteland in this city that looks exactly like these pictures.
    Yet, somehow in my 14 years living in Philly, I rarely, if ever go near or see anything like that.

No matter where you are, if you go looking for shit, you'll find it sticking to the bottom of your shoe.

Ogden: 82,825 people

Center City Philadelphia: 88,000 people

Why don't you have any pics of CC as a comparison?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast