Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Clayton's Hunting and Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by tonyqt View Post
    New member here. I just wanted to say I had a problem free transaction with member ByblosHex at Clayton's today. Great guy and a nice gun. Clayton's handled the transfer fast and for a good price. I also sold them a gun after our transfer and was offered a very fair price. I accepted with the condition that they throw in 2 free hour range passes. Couldn't hurt and they accepted.
    I had a great transaction with you. With Clayton's however; not so much. I returned later that day to get some prices on a few guns I was selling and I was actually pretty disgusted with whomever it was I was dealing with. He acted like he was dealing with a child, he was dishonest and gave me a very strong feeling that he had no idea what he was doing. I don't know if it was just too early in the morning for the questions I was asking, or if he was having a bad day, but damn, it was awful.

(Bucks County)

Shot there on the weekend. Air-conditioning was nice. Staff was friendly. Target rail system much better than bouncy-bouncy wire, and there are distance marks. No worrying about "shoot between the orange lines."

But... I was very glad of the big armor plates, because at least three quarters of the people in the 8 lanes seemed to be on rental guns and kind of yahoos. No RSO on the firing line, just fuzzy cameras nobody in the store seemed to be looking at. Rapid-fire rule was honored as much in the breach.

Speaking of barriers, they're very bouncy and I got pretty thoroughly pelted with my own hot brass. To the extent that I put full-coverage protection over my prescription eye-wear because I felt I was likely to catch one in the corner of my eye.

I got done what I wanted to get done, while making sure I was covered by the barriers as much as possible, quickly policed my brass, and got hell out of there, spending as little time out of cover as possible.

All in all, try to go there at a less busy time.

I went to Clayton's 3 weeks ago with a friend to fire his Baretta 9mm.
    He put a different spring in it.
    It kept misfiring, I was surprised.
    Anyway, that's the second time I ever fired a pistol.
    Shot a nice 6" shot group 2" r of the heart, full clip.
    I'm looking for a handgun.
    Don't know about the 9mm Baretta.
    Anyway I'm open to suggestions, maybe a S&W .40?
    Darn, my friend swears by Clayton's.
    Hmmm, caveat emptor, I guess.
    "Self-Defense is not Offensive."

(Montgomery County)

I use the range at Claytons quite a bit, I find the staff always pleasant, helpful and friendly. I really enjoy going here to shoot, have also had the pleasurable acquaintance of fellow friendly patrons that use the range also.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrluke View Post
    I went to Clayton's 3 weeks ago with a friend to fire his Baretta 9mm.
    He put a different spring in it.
    It kept misfiring, I was surprised.
    Anyway, that's the second time I ever fired a pistol.
    Shot a nice 6" shot group 2" r of the heart, full clip.
    I'm looking for a handgun.
    Don't know about the 9mm Baretta.
    Anyway I'm open to suggestions, maybe a S&W .40?
    Darn, my friend swears by Clayton's.
    Hmmm, caveat emptor, I guess.
    I've never had an issue with a firearm purchased from Clayton's. That being said, if you bought a defective firearm from them, did you try taking it back and talking to them about it? Or looking into the manufacturer's warranty? I'm not sure that your snarky little "caveat emptor" applies in this case when it was your friend who put the different spring in it.

That being said, the three Beretta pistols that I've owned over the years, two of which were 92 series, were great pistols and never gave me any problems.

(Lehigh County)

Anyone know if Clayton's allows the slide-fire stock?

I was in there a few weeks ago and overheard the owner talking to a couple of guys who had never shot there before, telling them the rules concerning rapid fire...

Rules were as follows:

Rapid fire is OK, just no mag dumps.

I'm just wondering if these bump fire stocks like the slide-fire would be allowed, so long as you don't dump mag after mag?

Come to think of it - are there any indoor ranges in the area that allow bump-fire stocks?

(Montgomery County)

curious about that myself. I think they do as one of their annual membership packages (Gold packages) states that it includes "free machine gun rental on your birthday..not including ammo"..

Short, controlled bursts?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    curious about that myself. I think they do as one of their annual membership packages (Gold packages) states that it includes "free machine gun rental on your birthday..not including ammo"..

Short, controlled bursts?
    Possibly, but Classic Pistol also allows Full Auto, but do not allow rapid fire at all - only double taps. So, I know Classic would not allow the slide-fire.

Clayton's at least allows rapid fire. I'm just wondering if that extends into something like the slide-fire, which, if you know how to use it, is basically full auto (which they allow).

(Bucks County)

(Someone just asked me about the "triple play." Apparently that consists of beers at the Iron Abbey, shooting at Clayton's, followed by a massage at the neighboring parlor with, perhaps, a "happy ending." A bit of a local legend.)

First time I shot there, I was told "no rapid fire, no double-taps, 2 seconds between rounds." Then the "RSO" takes me into the range on a busy weekend day, and as he's trying to explain their target and backer system to me it's like a sitcom sketch where every time he tries to get three words out, he's cut off by double-taps and rapid-fire.

Of all the ranges I've been to, this is the one where I feel least safe. Even though it is, on paper, best-equipped. Too many rent-a-gun yahoos. "RSO" consists of "nanny cams" to which the staff has their backs turned 99% of the time. I'll chance it personally, but would never take a loved one there.

While policing my brass, I found a live .40 S&W on the floor. Brought it out when I paid, and the owner acted like I was silly to not just throw it in their brass bucket. Apparently they comb through them pretty thoroughly. Seems to me I should have got a "but thanks anyway for giving a shit about the safety of my staff."

The armor on their partitions is thick (good!) but also very reactive (bad) and you WILL get pelted with hot brass from random directions. Neglected to wear a brimmed hat the other day and caught one between my prescription glasses and my eye-shields (which I only feel need of at Claytons). So I ended up with a hot shell casing INSIDE my goggles. My bad. Lesson learned. Especially with hard armor plate to my right.
    Last edited by gascolator; June 21st, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gascolator View Post
    (Someone just asked me about the "triple play." Apparently that consists of beers at the Iron Abbey, shooting at Clayton's, followed by a massage at the neighboring parlor with, perhaps, a "happy ending." A bit of a local legend.)

First time I shot there, I was told "no rapid fire, no double-taps, 2 seconds between rounds." Then the "RSO" takes me into the range on a busy weekend day, and as he's trying to explain their target and backer system to me it's like a sitcom sketch where every time he tries to get three words out, he's cut off by double-taps and rapid-fire.

Of all the ranges I've been to, this is the one where I feel least safe. Even though it is, on paper, best-equipped. Too many rent-a-gun yahoos. "RSO" consists of "nanny cams" to which the staff has their backs turned 99% of the time. I'll chance it personally, but would never take a loved one there.

While policing my brass, I found a live .40 S&W on the floor. Brought it out when I paid, and the owner acted like I was silly to not just throw it in their brass bucket. Apparently they comb through them pretty thoroughly. Seems to me I should have got a "but thanks anyway for giving a shit about the safety of my staff."

The armor on their partitions is thick (good!) but also very reactive (bad) and you WILL get pelted with hot brass from random directions. Neglected to wear a brimmed hat the other day and caught one between my prescription glasses and my eye-shields (which I only feel need of at Claytons). So I ended up with a hot shell casing INSIDE my goggles. My bad. Lesson learned. Especially with hard armor plate to my right.
    That pretty much sums up the place. Clayton's has been hit or miss for me.

A few months ago, a bunch of guys (5) came in to go shooting. They rented a couple handguns and were assigned two lanes. Before they went in, one of them decided to buy a new Glock. His buddies decided to go in while he was filling out the paperwork and having the background check done. Once that was completed, he went in to meet his buddies at their assigned lanes. He then proceeded to load his Glock behind the lanes.

I hesitated to say something because they have cameras in there and sometimes employees come in to check on the lanes. Nothing happened. At that point, he had almost an entire magazine loaded, so I walked over and told him he should be loading that on the table inside the lane he was assigned to. He apologized, probably not realizing what he was doing or ever having been to a range (or possibly even owning a gun at all) before.

I'm not saying this sort of thing has never happened before, but they really should have someone in there to monitor shit, especially when many of your customers using the range are new to shooting.

I would never take my GF or any family to Clayton's to use the range (I had in the past, but will not anymore). Clayton's attracts a lot of new shooters, partly because of the living social deals they have.

The range itself is really nice - it's clean, comfortable, brightly lit, and very state of the art in general. For that reason, I still enjoy shooting there. Just beware of the inexperienced shooters - Clayton's doesn't police the range at all.
    Last edited by Wayfaerer320; June 21st, 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345