Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Clayton's Hunting and Fishing

I go to Claytons often because i live just a few blocks away. It is the best place to go in my opinion.

(Montgomery County)

Smile Re: Clayton's Hunting and Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Clayton's Hunting and Fishing, located 660 Easton Road (Route 611), Horsham, PA 19044 Phone: 215-672-6060

http://claytonshuntingfishing.com/

Made a trip there today after getting several recommendation to check it. First was entry. Greeted almost immediately by friendly staff. Told them I was on my first time here, checking it out. I was asked if I wanted to shoot. Figured I'd get a better feel for the range if I used it instead of just looked at it. Was given fast lane treatment. AHenshaw and I were given access to a lane immediately. They have only 8 lanes. Interior sound is louder than classic, but much cleaner (even since Classic was redone). Hangers worked a lot better for me than the hanging arms at Classic. Was a cardboard backer with clips up top to click your back to. Went up to 20-25 yards if I remember correctly. Cable system worked well. Lane was very well armored on the sides from other lanes.

The shop is also really nice. Very large selection of Hunting, Fishing and Gun rear. Reloading supplies, Holsters, Ammunition, AR parts, Knives, Optics, pretty much everything related to guns. Huge selection of most thinks like cleaning supplies and holsters. Prices were average all around, about the same as Classic. Prices not as good as Tanner's. Firearm selection very good. Lots of Long-guns and handguns. No deals popped out at me like whenever I go to Tanner's but worth a look. Was able to try holsters with my Taurus and point out trouble areas in cleaning it without being bitched at or getting dirty looks and an attitude like I always get from Classic.

Asked a few questions about cleaning my Taurus and got solid advice and even a demonstration. Witnessed employees offering advice and instruction to interested customers. Never buying Hoppes no.9 again, Break Free CLP with a bronze brush works so much better, it's no contest. Thanks to Clayton for the suggestion. It really worked well, my Taurus is cleaner than when I bought it, and cleaner after 1 cleaning that I could get it was 3 days of cleaning with Hoppes no.9.

Felt no pressure to buy anything or join the club. I'll definitely be going back there to shoot more, but I'll probably buy my ammunition from Tanner's.

I would have to agree with this OP. I was there to try out their range for the first time last week with my new TRP. I had a great time needless to say. The range was very clean, the the staff very helpful. I'm going to be going back there allot as it's much close to me then classic. Their ammo is a bit pricy but I'll have to check behind the pillar next time I go to see if they have cheaper as I was shooting .45 . Walmart is the best your gonna find in a store pretty much for 9 mm and .45. I haven't even found better anywhere online. I'm gonna keep coming back here, maybe we should organize a shoot here one night?

(Lehigh County)

Thanks guys, I think I'll try this place out later today

(Bucks County)

I was just at claytons a couple of weeks ago, the store and range were first class. There range was definitly the best in the area and very clean. There staff was very helpful and knowlegable, except for the one girl that tried to help me, i asked her for a inside the pants holster for a 1911 and she had no clue what i was talking about, she had to go get one of the other employees to show her what a holster is, the i asked her if i could see a remington 700 and she started looking in the pistol case until i told her its a bolt action rifle, shes the only complaint i have, all in all the store and the range are great and i will definitly be back there soon.

(Bucks County)

Honestly, I really wouldn't buy anything from there. The prices are a little high. I got my Neos from there and it cost me the same as if I got the INOX version from Tanner's. The INOX is more expensive, obviously. And they weren't willing to deal. I got a free hour of range time, that's it.

The range is great. My only complaint is the flying brass. The booths are a little smaller. And the proximity of everything requires really good ear protection. Was in there last week and had to leave when they put a guy with a shotgun in the booth next to me. My earplugs were not up to par for that. I recommend double protection for the range.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    Honestly, I really wouldn't buy anything from there. The prices are a little high. I got my Neos from there and it cost me the same as if I got the INOX version from Tanner's. The INOX is more expensive, obviously. And they weren't willing to deal. I got a free hour of range time, that's it.

The range is great. My only complaint is the flying brass. The booths are a little smaller. And the proximity of everything requires really good ear protection. Was in there last week and had to leave when they put a guy with a shotgun in the booth next to me. My earplugs were not up to par for that. I recommend double protection for the range.
    +1 on the hearing protection.

It's definitely a little louder in there than other ranges in the area. I usually wear plugs and then muffs over top of them, but really, a nice pair of muffs will do just fine - so long as they can handle a higher level of noise.

But really how can you go wrong? They let you shoot shotguns, long guns, and handguns, and you're allowed to rapid fire (so long as you control it).

I don't know of any other indoor ranges in the Philly suburbs that let you do all that...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaerer320 View Post
    +1 on the hearing protection.

It's definitely a little louder in there than other ranges in the area. I usually wear plugs and then muffs over top of them, but really, a nice pair of muffs will do just fine - so long as they can handle a higher level of noise.

But really how can you go wrong? They let you shoot shotguns, long guns, and handguns, and you're allowed to rapid fire (so long as you control it).

I don't know of any other indoor ranges in the Philly suburbs that let you do all that...
    Classic Pistol does... if you're on their secret cool buddy list.

+1 for the loudness in Clayton's, but it's definitely worth it.

(Montgomery County)

Just noticed this post (I don't often make it away from the Pistol section). I too live close, and prior to becoming a member at Clayton's, had been a member at both Target World and Classic Pistol.

IMO, Classic Pistol definitely nudges out Clayton's with respect to noise level and lane distance. IIRC, CP is a full 25 yards, where Clayton's is 20. Also, Classic has really nice acoustic insulation, something that Clayton's could really use. There are also more lanes at CP.

But, on the flip side, being a new range, Clayton's is cleaner, and the lane/target mechanics and lighting are superior. Environmentally, Clayton's is almost always comfortable. There's noticeable air-flow, and so far, since joining in, I believe late June '11, I've never been hot or cold. I like that. I also appreciate the fact that if I need ammo, I can buy it there, often at prices that are about the same as Walmart or Tanner's. There's no premium charge because the place is also a range.

Notice that I hadn't mentioned Target World in the above comparisons. That's because the aging condition of the range and the complete lack of temperature control, make it a difficult place to shoot at. But, there is one distinct advantage to shooting at Target World, if it matters to you:
    Of these three ranges, the lanes are most closely (even aggressively) monitored at Target World. There's zero tolerance for shenanigans, and without a doubt, I think it's a safer place to shoot. Shooters are observed through glass, by human beings, and you don't get away with much. Yes, they'll even call you on rapid fire. But, IMO, that's a good thing. Classic and Clayton's are monitored via CCTV, and I can't say that I've ever seen anyone at either of those two ranges spoken to about anything, even in cases where I think it was warranted. Also, the staff at Target World is about the friendliest you'll find. They're just good, knowledgeable people.

Weighing all of these factors, with geographic distance to me being a consideration as well, I'm now shooting exclusively at Clayton's with no regrets.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Philadelphia County)

100% agree with MARKS Clayton's was pretty loud. (compared to classic pistol, target master, French Creek)

Classic allows steel, better ventilation and sound reduction. Recently they have been doing a groupon thing that has left the range packed for all hours of the weekend with newbies but it's still good for business and the sport.

(Delaware County)

I love shooting at Clayton's . They are great people to deal with.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast