Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Bodyguard 380 report and questions

Took the new 380 to the range this week and I've got a couple of questions I could use some guidance on. My overall perspective is that it's incredibly stiff out of the box but after cleaning, oiling and 50 rounds (in that order) it's much smoother. The long trigger pull took some getting used to but it was manageable. I kept waiting for it to fire around half pull and had to tell myself to not anticipate the shot, just pull, quickly. I’m a Glock fan but I really like this gun too. It’s great for CC in the summer where my Glock is too big.

The sights and laser were a different story; they were unusable out of the box. I was able to get the laser adjusted at the range (6 rounds, 2.5 inch grouping at 15 yards) but I don’t have the tools to adjust the sights. Having said that, I don’t like the stock sights. They are hard to see against dark targets and the laser is useless at 25 yards. (Not bright enough.) I want good sights at close range too should the laser fail.

Can I replace sights myself and if so what tools do I need? What sights would you recommend? I also have a Glock 19 that I’ve thought about adding night sights. I’d like to do it myself rather then send both pistols off somewhere.

Thanks!

Default Re: Bodyguard 380 report and questions

The Bodyguard has among the best factory iron sights in it's class. If you want better night time viz from the irons you should have ordered one with tritium night sights (they're probably available as an aftermarket add on too)

The laser is not, nor ever was, intended for 25yd shooting, and honestly, neither is the gun itself.

It is a short range defensive weapon designed for engagements at ranges of 20 feet and less.

PS: To adjust the iron sights for windage ( elevation is non adjustable via the sights), just tap the rear sight with a brass punch. If you want the bullets to go left, tap the rear sight to the left. If you want them to go right, tap the rear sight to the right. Do this at the range so you can make small adjustments and observe the new impact point with each adjustment. If you're hitting high or low, using different weight bullets can adjust that. Lighter bullets will hit lower, and heavier bullets will hit higher.
    Last edited by Valorius; August 14th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

(Bucks County)

I had one when it came out. Its not meant as a long range gun at all. At best its good for 5 yards. Its more of an up close and personal. If you need to hit a target with some range just throw the gun at your target youll have a better shot. Its a good for cc when space is limited and in all odds youll need it up close.

I have a hard time believing it's THAT inaccurate.

My LCP will shoot a really impressive little group at 25 feet, considering the type of pistol it is.

(Cumberland County)

I bought one of the first ones and really didn't like it. My LCP was much more accurate, despite having no real sights at all - lol. I finally traded the BG 380with another PAFOA member who won a BG 38 and didn't like revolvers - I enjoy the 38. The BG 380 seems to be one like many, some love em, some don't. Good luck with yours. For me, I like the LCP and recently purchased a Sig P238.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I bought one of the first ones and really didn't like it. My LCP was much more accurate, despite having no real sights at all - lol. I finally traded the BG 380with another PAFOA member who won a BG 38 and didn't like revolvers - I enjoy the 38. The BG 380 seems to be one like many, some love em, some don't. Good luck with yours. For me, I like the LCP and recently purchased a Sig P238.
    We need to trade again so I can meet you at that awesome place we did our transfer lol! It's funny how much this really boils down to personal preference, I love the .380 and ever since I got a DeSantis nemesis pocket holster it goes all over the place with me.

I think the stock sights are great for the intended purpose, close range SHTF circumstances you hope to never find yourself in. The laser on mine is exceptionally accurate from 10 yds in which is as far as I would ever shoot the BG anyway. I think your group at 15 yards is more than acceptable for the BG IMO. Granted I always prefer to have my G26 with me sometimes in the summer it just doesn't work out too well.

(Chester County)

Thanks for all the comments. I realize it's more a short range gun but my club has 25 and 15 yard backstops and unless I'm the only one there I have to shoot from the line. I see no reason not to try and be effective at at least 15 yards with the sights or have fun trying!

Plus there's this nice bowling pin at 25 yards waiting to be hit.

The front sight is very off center to the right which I suspect is why my groups were so far to the left. If someone who also has one could take a look and see how close to center there's is I'd appreciate it. Perhaps the front sight was no set right at the factory??

What I don't like about the sights is that they are all black. My targets are (mostly) black so lining up the sight is difficult. My Glock has white dots which are very easy to see even in low light and I'd like the same for the BG.

If the front sight is driftable, just center it yourself with a brass punch.

If it's not, and it's visibly way off, i would call S&W about it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I have a hard time believing it's THAT inaccurate.

My LCP will shoot a really impressive little group at 25 feet, considering the type of pistol it is.
    Also have an LCP and I find it FAR more accurate than the bodyguard.

Just to illustrate what a few of us are talking about, i shot this group with my LCP the first day i bought the gun:

Federal Hydrashok JHP, 25 feet, unsupported off hand

The only shot that was out of the 10 ring was user error on my part. The first two shot was the one dead in the X ring. It's because of this accuracy that i do not feel at all underarmed walking the streets of Philly with my LCP.