Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Need help identifying an old pistol (possibly a CZ)

A friend of mine came by a pistol recently and we have been trying to identify it, but are not having much luck. In looking at it, it appears to be an old CZ brand pistol that may have been actually made in the Czechoslovakia, but we are not sure. We also have no idea what caliber it even is. I believe it to be a .32 since it is obviously too large a barrel for .22 and .380 rounds are slightly too big to fit in the magazine or the barrel.

The pistol has a butt release for the magazine, a flush hammer with the slide, a trigger lock style safety, and a rotating barrel. It also has many different craftsman marks in different places on the barrel as well as a few markings on the side of the pistol that we can't seem to make any sense of.

I have included some pictures to see if anyone can help.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Need help identifying an old pistol (possibly a CZ)

Μολὼν λάβε

(Cumberland County)

Looks like a CZ 27. Not my area of expertise though. Lemme do a little research.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Northumberland County)

Looks like a CZ 22 or 24.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/che...22-vz24-e.html

The Armádni pistole Vz.22, or Army pistol model 22 was produced in Czechoslovakia between 1922 and 1924, based on patents and experimental 9mm pistols developed in Germany by arms designer Nickl. His early guns were developed at famous Mauser factory, but in early 1920s Czechoslovakia bought his patents and Nickl scaled his gun slightly down from 9x19 Luger to 9x17 Browning Short (also known as 9mm Kurz or .380ACP) ammunition. After few years of production and use, the basic design was noticeably improved by Czech arms designer Frantisek Myska. In this improved form the new pistol was adopted by Czechoslovak army as Armádni pistole Vz.24, or Army pistol model 24. It was produced in significant numbers between 1925 and 1944. Deliveries were made to Czechoslovak government, to German government (during occupation of Czechoslovakia by Hitler's Germany), and also to a number of other European and South American countries.
    It must be noted that both Vz.22 and Vz.24 pistols were too complicated and somehow insufficiently reliable, due to the fact that rotary barrel locking system, which was originally devised to fire 9x19 Luger ammunition, was not really necessary to fire noticeably less powerful 9x17 Browning Short ammunition, which at the time was standard for Czechoslovak army.

The Vz.22 and Vz.24 pistols both based on the same operating principles, using same short recoil operated, rotary barrel action locking. Barrel of the gun has two sets of lugs. Two lugs on its opposite sides are used to lock into the cuts made on the inner walls of the slide. The bottom lugs are used to rotate the barrel upon recoil (when following diagonal cut in the frame insert, attached to the return spring guide) and to limit the length of the recoil. The firing mechanism utilizes an exposed hammer and a single action trigger. Manual safety is located on the left side of the grip frame, behind the trigger, and consists of a lever and a button. To engage the safety (turn it On, set gun on safe) operator has to push the lever down until it locks there, blocking the trigger and the sear linkage. To disengage the safety (turn it Off, make gun ready to fire) operator has to push the small button, which is located just below the lever. Feed is from detachable box magazines, holding 8 rounds of ammunition in a single stack.

i've seen them for sale for around $<350 depending on condition.
    i hope this helps.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by B92G View Post
    Looks like a CZ 22 or 24.

The Armádni pistole Vz.22, or Army pistol model 22 was produced in Czechoslovakia between 1922 and 1924, based on patents and experimental 9mm pistols developed in Germany by arms designer Nickl. His early guns were developed at famous Mauser factory, but in early 1920s Czechoslovakia bought his patents and Nickl scaled his gun slightly down from 9x19 Luger to 9x17 Browning Short (also known as 9mm Kurz or .380ACP) ammunition. After few years of production and use, the basic design was noticeably improved by Czech arms designer Frantisek Myska. In this improved form the new pistol was adopted by Czechoslovak army as Armádni pistole Vz.24, or Army pistol model 24. It was produced in significant numbers between 1925 and 1944. Deliveries were made to Czechoslovak government, to German government (during occupation of Czechoslovakia by Hitler's Germany), and also to a number of other European and South American countries.
    It must be noted that both Vz.22 and Vz.24 pistols were too complicated and somehow insufficiently reliable, due to the fact that rotary barrel locking system, which was originally devised to fire 9x19 Luger ammunition, was not really necessary to fire noticeably less powerful 9x17 Browning Short ammunition, which at the time was standard for Czechoslovak army.

The Vz.22 and Vz.24 pistols both based on the same operating principles, using same short recoil operated, rotary barrel action locking. Barrel of the gun has two sets of lugs. Two lugs on its opposite sides are used to lock into the cuts made on the inner walls of the slide. The bottom lugs are used to rotate the barrel upon recoil (when following diagonal cut in the frame insert, attached to the return spring guide) and to limit the length of the recoil. The firing mechanism utilizes an exposed hammer and a single action trigger. Manual safety is located on the left side of the grip frame, behind the trigger, and consists of a lever and a button. To engage the safety (turn it On, set gun on safe) operator has to push the lever down until it locks there, blocking the trigger and the sear linkage. To disengage the safety (turn it Off, make gun ready to fire) operator has to push the small button, which is located just below the lever. Feed is from detachable box magazines, holding 8 rounds of ammunition in a single stack.

i've seen them for sale for around $<350 depending on condition.
    i hope this helps.
    Almost all of this info matches dead on, except that both 9x19 and 9x17 do not fit the gun. They are both too large for the magazine and barrel. I believe it is a .32 caliber, but I have not been able to test fit.

After doing a little bit of searching around, it seems that the CZ 27 might be it, but I am still unsure. The grips do not seem to match, but they could have been replaced.

(Cumberland County)

It does look like a 22 or 24, but if it .380 ammo won't fit in the chamber it's probably a 27 (.32 acp ).

I dunno.

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    It does look like a 22 or 24, but if it .380 ammo won't fit in the chamber it's probably a 27 (.32 acp ).

I dunno.

That CZ vz24 looks spot-on. I need to look into that one a bit more, but it is still listed as a .380 pistol and I know for sure that doesn't fit. On the one side of the slide it has the old "Z" in a circle mark followed by the number 31, but there doesn't seem to be a CZ-31 model pistol that matches it.

(Dauphin County)

Ok, correction.

I just checked it myself and .380 does if fact fit the gun. Apparently I didn't check the ammo I grabbed before because it wasn't actually .380... Well I at least now know it appears to be a CZ 24. Thanks for the help.

Hopefully we can find some more information on the specific pistol. I want to see if there is any serial number lookup systems for this gun. Anyone know of one?

(York County)

It's a CZ 24, or at least looks like the twin of both of our CZ 24's. (Now, I'll add that mp517prct, when reading over my shoulder made me correct this to read both CZ 24's, rather than the one that I thought we had. )

(York County)

22 and 24 = round slide, diagonal cocking serations, rotating barrel

27 = slab side slide, vertical cocking serations, straight blowback (barrel does not rotate)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast