Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Smile Getting a feel for it.

Owner of a beautiful 1911, getting a feel for OC'ing it. I have not gone outside with it yet, save to just run down to roll the windows up of my car, but just doing it in the house, getting use to the feel, the weight, and reality of it.

I know I can, and I have read all the laws, and stories form here for the past 7 months, and I want to OC around town, just don't feel comfy alone for my first time.

BTW the holster it came with blows. I have tried to ease off the retention a little, but it didn't do anything. If the gun is seated all the way in, then my pants come up to my chest before I can get the gun out, so I have to leave it in halfway with just enough retention to where the gun wont fall out, but not be trial of strength to pull it out.

Any advice as to how I can seat it all the way, yet not be a pain to pull it out?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Getting a feel for it.

Do you wear a gun belt? If not. Get one.

Also, use both hands when drawing the firearm from the holster. One to hold the holster and the other to drawn the firearm. You may not have two hands availible in all situations, but it's the best way to do it when you can.

Before you OC. Know the law. Do your best to memorise the PA UFA. Have a lawyer's phone number handy. Have a backup-sidearm in case of confiscation. Know you are right. Don't think it, don't 'believe' it, know it. Be polite and friendly and avoid touching your firearm in public unless you have to. Do not talk to Police or if you must give as little information as possible. Be confident.

(Montgomery County)

^^

I have the 5.11 Operator belt. I am thinking to get a beltman belt though, but money is tight, also thinking of Raven holster.

BTW just tried the two hand draw, good technique on grabbing the holster. Takes more work, but practice makes perfect, and full retention is better than half. As for a BUG, i don't have, i do however carry an E2D LED Defender and Two substantial knives.

guess ill be eating the UFA for breakfast lunch and dinner, also will need to print out them handy dandy flyers

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    ^^

I have the 5.11 Operator belt. I am thinking to get a beltman belt though, but money is tight, also thinking of Raven holster.

BTW just tried the two hand draw, good technique on grabbing the holster. Takes more work, but practice makes perfect, and full retention is better than half. As for a BUG, i don't have, i do however carry an E2D LED Defender and Two substantial knives.

guess ill be eating the UFA for breakfast lunch and dinner, also will need to print out them handy dandy flyers
    The 5.11 operator belt is a good belt. Its not the best in the world, but it does a damned good job for the price.

I keep a flyer in my wallet and a copy of the entire Pa UFA in my car... just in case. It really helps to be able to answer questions with actual citations of law. Theyre more readily consumed by the listiner than paraphrasing or desrcibing or interpreting law. Try your best to know the relevant citations and their number. Sounding impressive helps when dealing with the ignorants.

Owning a backup gun would be good to have in case of an illegal seizure or confiscation. Besides, let's say you do need to use your firearm in personal protection one day. There's a good chance the firearm will be confiscated there too. It never hurts to own a secondary gun for a rainy day.

The Pa UFA is like the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance, we should all know it and be able to recite it proudly. The Pa UFA is the authoritative law on Firearms in Pa and is the final word when it comes to any firearm related law or ordinance. Think of it as The Ten Commandments. It's something you really want ot know before you Open Carry.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    The 5.11 operator belt is a good belt. Its not the best in the world, but it does a damned good job for the price.

I keep a flyer in my wallet and a copy of the entire Pa UFA in my car... just in case. It really helps to be able to answer questions with actual citations of law. Theyre more readily consumed by the listiner than paraphrasing or desrcibing or interpreting law. Try your best to know the relevant citations and their number. Sounding impressive helps when dealing with the ignorants.

Owning a backup gun would be good to have in case of an illegal seizure or confiscation. Besides, let's say you do need to use your firearm in personal protection one day. There's a good chance the firearm will be confiscated there too. It never hurts to own a secondary gun for a rainy day.

The Pa UFA is like the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance, we should all know it and be able to recite it proudly. The Pa UFA is the authoritative law on Firearms in Pa and is the final word when it comes to any firearm related law or ordinance. Think of it as The Ten Commandments. It's something you really want ot know before you Open Carry.
    thanks for the advice.

as for a BUG. Guess i should start searching for a ppk/s. love that baby.

looks like i got some homework to do this week so i am ready for what the ignorents ask/do/say/imply to me.

(York County)

I did all of the above to prepare for my first time ocing. I normally get one comment a year. And thats just people asking if I get harassed by the police. Besides that I get no comments. I hope the same holds true for you. Good luck when you are ready.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks. I'm really just getting use to carrying 'cocked, locked, and ready to rock'. other than that, just figuring how to handle an encounter, and now, practicing situational awareness.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Do you wear a gun belt? If not. Get one.

Also, use both hands when drawing the firearm from the holster. One to hold the holster and the other to drawn the firearm. You may not have two hands availible in all situations, but it's the best way to do it when you can.

Before you OC. Know the law. Do your best to memorise the PA UFA. Have a lawyer's phone number handy. Have a backup-sidearm in case of confiscation. Know you are right. Don't think it, don't 'believe' it, know it. Be polite and friendly and avoid touching your firearm in public unless you have to. Do not talk to Police or if you must give as little information as possible. Be confident.
    I'd rather not cover my hand, even for a second, while drawing my firearm. I feel one is far better off placing their weak hand either on the stomach or sternum. This also aids in assuming a two handed grip once the firearm has cleared the holster.

OP, my advice to you would be to get a proper retention holster, as well as a good belt like Byblos mentioned.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; August 12th, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Getting a feel for it.

GOOD holster, and as HEAVY a belt as you can get away with. You WON'T regret it.

(Bucks County)

Wow... I'm surprised by the comments in this thread.

OP did, you actually shoot the gun yet? Do you have any firearms training?

I wouldn't carry a gun until I have shot at least 500 rounds through it.

And it appears you do not have any idea of a proper draw. Look up the 4-point/combat draw stroke. Using your hand to hold your holster as you un-holster doesn't make any sense.

Shoot the hell out of the gun. Practice your draw repetitions.

If not, you will be a liability to yourself and society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast