Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weigh in on the Nagant revolver

Sooner or later, probably much later, they are all going to be gone from surplus, and I will be kicking myself in the teeth for not buying one when they were $100. Classic example, K-31 Schmidt Rubin. I had the chance once to buy a walnut stocked version for under $150 and passed. I have shot several, and aside from the four ton trigger pull, find it a cool revolver to fire. Anyone here have one? Anyone done the .32 ACP conversion? Pictures would be cool too.
    Jules

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Weigh in on the Nagant revolver

I purchased mine several months back from J&G for $99 - I believe they still have them for that price. It's neat to have, but expensive ammo, and a pain to shoot ( loading, ejecting cartridges, etc. ). I'm glad I got it though for the "neat" factore. When I first got my C&R I bought the Nagant and a Tokarev from J&G - here's a shot of what I got for $99 for the Nagant and $ 199 for the Tokarev - and was excited to get my first pistols sent right to my door

(Montgomery County)

My first one I picked up for $55 delivered from SOG when they first came in, plus a 0.32 cylinder. What has to be done is to check the angle of the rachet as in some cases the hand does not connect properly. Can be fixed with a suitable Dremel tool. The second cost $150 delivered but is the target model.

0.32 SW longs will work, but you will have bulged cases due to the tapered cylinder. You can modify 32-20 cases and use a variety of lead bullets up to 110 grain plinkers in 0.308 to 0.312. However, before loading check all cases in the gun as the tolerances vary when the collar moves forward to lock the (non-existent) gas seal into the forcing cone. Some pistols will take all comers, some will jam. If you have one like that (my target version is one) then you have to mill a couple of thous off the top side of the rim on each case. Or do as I did, use 0.32 longs or factory ammo.

However, in SA mode, they are fun. The DA mode is almost as bad as my P64.

Dave_n

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Weigh in on the Nagant revolver

If you lived in New Yawk, Joisey, Peoples Democratic Republic of Maryland, or some such, I could see them as a good investment. If you just wanna bury them somewhere for 'just in case (the means to acquire a BETTER gun, as it were),' I could see them as good buys then, too. I SURE wouldn't stake my life on one, use it for daily carry, home defense, etc.

YMMV.

(Centre County)

I would love to have one of these to pair with my 91/30 (I know, that one's the other Nagant brother's creation), and to say I've got a suppressible revolver. And they're cheap, even though the ammo is crazy pricey.

Would love to get one of those Tokarev's too, BTW. Cheap, with REALLY cheap ammo.
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylorot View Post
    I would love to have one of these to pair with my 91/30 (I know, that one's the other Nagant brother's creation), and to say I've got a suppressible revolver. And they're cheap, even though the ammo is crazy pricey.

Would love to get one of those Tokarev's too, BTW. Cheap, with REALLY cheap ammo.
    Yeah, the Tokarev is a blast to shoot, and if you buy surplus ammo, super cheap to shoot. They are extremely accurate and reliable too ! I have my eye on a hard chromed M57 now for $279 with holster and 2 hard chromed magazines If I don't find anything at the gun show tomorrow, think I'll place my order - then order some grips from Marschal like I did for my CZ-82 - they are hot !
    Last edited by cruzans; August 12th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.

I have a few of them along with some TT-33's -- They are definately worth having in a collection just for the Cool Factor as somebody mentioned, I shoot mostly .32 S&W Longs or .32 HR Magumns out of mine, The actual Nagant ammo is underpowered and not as much fun.

As for the trigger Pull, Once you can do a 100 One Finger Push-ups, that Double Action trigger pull isn't so bad, Seriously though I can only ever shoot mine in Single action, There are Mods on the Net for the trigger pull, But since I have a ton of other guns to shoot, I never thought it was worth the trobule to mod it, maybe when I'm Old and Retired and of course, Feeble with nothing better to do.

But grab at least one & a TT-33 & a P64 etc...

BTW: I know what you mean about the K31's - My first was $89, a year later my second cost $130 -- are they still for sale, I haven't paid attention lately.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Cumberland County)

And as always, I've learned something from PAFOA members, I did not know you could shoot 32 longs or 32 mags out of the Nagant! Not much cheaper, but a little, and a little more available. Then again, I'll probably shoot less than 50 rounds a year so .......... Thanks for the info !

Thanks for the replies. I have a little extra laying around and have wanted one for quite a while. I can justify it now. Just something else to add to the safe. Thanks again. Rep all of your way.
    Jules

(York County)

Spring for one. We have 3 or 4 (or something around there, but I'm too lazy and tired to open our spreadsheet to check), and they're a neat gun to shoot and to take out to the range occasionally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast