Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mags for springfield TRP

I have one of the early springfield TRP 1911's. Picked i up in 1998 or 1999, it is the champion model TRP which they don't seem to market these days.

Anyway, it came with two Chip McCormick mags, and starting from almost day one the slide never consistently locked back using these mags. The pistol seems to work fine using the mag from my kimber 45 and using the mags from my springfield loaded 45 that I picked up last year.

So, fortunately it looks like I have been pinpoint this to the McCormick mags being the issue and am now looking for some replacement mags for this pistol.

Any suggestions?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: mags for springfield TRP

Try Wilson Combat mags. And pick up more of the mags to the other 1911's you have that are working in the TRP.

Upgrade the mag springs with Wilson of Wolff springs. If you're still not comfortable using them for defense, relegate them to the range bag as practice mags and pick up Wilson mags. Actually, get the Wilson's regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by sween1911 View Post
    Upgrade the mag springs with Wilson of Wolff springs. If you're still not comfortable using them for defense, relegate them to the range bag as practice mags and pick up Wilson mags. Actually, get the Wilson's regardless.
    yeah, i just ordered one of these..

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=644241

The McCormicks actually feel kind of cheap compared to the kimber/SA mags I have.

as a side note, Midway has some pretty good deals going on..just had to pick one of these up also...seems like a good deal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=519092

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    yeah, i just ordered one of these..

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=644241

The McCormicks actually feel kind of cheap compared to the kimber/SA mags I have.

as a side note, Midway has some pretty good deals going on..just had to pick one of these up also...seems like a good deal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=519092
    WOW! Not to get off topic, but with SF discontinuing a bunch of their lights, they're popping up with crazy deals all over the place.

As for the Wilson mag's, they're fantastic. I have a whole mess of them. Every now and then, budget in one or two. It's amazing how fast they pile up.

ooops...my bad. These mags ARE NOT McCormick. They ARE wilson combat. The TRP in question came with both of these mags. I have 3 1911's, and when the mags are used in any one of these pistols the slide will not stay open.

Damn...any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    ooops...my bad. These mags ARE NOT McCormick. They ARE wilson combat. The TRP in question came with both of these mags. I have 3 1911's, and when the mags are used in any one of these pistols the slide will not stay open.

Damn...any other suggestions?
    They came with the TRP from the factory? Very interesting. If the gun is from 98 or 99, then it sounds like new mag springs are in order.

If it was my money, I'd be replacing with the Loaded mags you were speaking of. They work very well in all of SA's 1911s, including the GI. Taurus 1911 mags are very good, as well. I have some from 2007 that stay loaded year 'round and they still cycle 100%.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northumberland County)

In my opinion the best mags I have found to date, I use them on my .45 & 10mm 1911's:

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

Quote Originally Posted by EODguy View Post
    In my opinion the best mags I have found to date, I use them on my .45 & 10mm 1911's:

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html
    Agreed. I have Wilson and Tripp Research mags for my Springfield Champion and while the Wilson's work fine, I prefer the Tripp mags. I even replaced the innards of the Springfield mags with Tripp upgrade springs and followers. It made a huge difference in the reliability of the stock mags.
    Last edited by Ronin; August 15th, 2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Not Operator - Champion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast