Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default latest builds (ak)

as per a request, here they are:

9mm pistol ak---

my latest rifle----

somehow, i always manage to get the camera strap in at least one pic
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: latest builds (ak)

What special tools are needed for an AK build project?
    What in addition to that is needed to do some crazy hooked up sh*t like you got there?

(Chester County)

What kind of receiver did you start with for that 9mm? Lots of welding? What kinds of laws are there about that kind of thing?

ar15 type barrel shroud? How in the world did you mount it.

It sounds stupid, but I had no idea this kind of customization took place/was allowed. Cool stuff for sure. I'd love to hear how you went about it, any details you care to share, anything you learned, etc. Curious sights on that real ak too
    Last edited by Jackal; January 11th, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Beaver County)

I would be very interested to hear how the 9mm conversion was done.... oh and awesome pics

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    What special tools are needed for an AK build project?
    What in addition to that is needed to do some crazy hooked up sh*t like you got there?
    "special" tools??

what do you have now??

i have bought very little as far as "special" tool for ak building, but i did have a mill, lathe, and welder, among other things, before i started ak building, that helps

as far as special tools, i made my first bending jig(hammer type), total cost about $12, had a buddy who uses my shop recently buy a press type jig and donate it to the shop. (about $100) makes things go alot quicker.

also took an old discarded (broken) pair of bolt cutters to make a rivet tool.
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    What kind of receiver did you start with for that 9mm? Lots of welding? What kinds of laws are there about that kind of thing?

ar15 type barrel shroud? How in the world did you mount it.

It sounds stupid, but I had no idea this kind of customization took place/was allowed. Cool stuff for sure. I'd love to hear how you went about it, any details you care to share, anything you learned, etc. Curious sights on that real ak too
    9mm started with the same tapco flat as all the other builds.

yse, there was alot of welding.

as far as laws, im not a lawyer, but off the top of my head, as long as you dont make an nfa weapon (vert forward grip, easily attached buttstock, ect...) your good to go.

you can now have a pistol with the magazing outside of the grip, bayo lug, hi cap mag, ect... now since the sunset.

and pistols are not subject to 922r laws either (although this one would pass anyway )

the shroud slides over the bbl and recoil tube for allignment, and is held on by the fsb.

those are sights from a g3 on the rifle.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bige64 View Post
    I would be very interested to hear how the 9mm conversion was done.... oh and awesome pics
    now thats a VERY long story.

the front trunion was made from a billet of steel. prob the most labor intensive part on any build ive done yet.

the bolt was slightly shortened from the rear, the carrier was trimmed to allow the bolt to set back in further, then the 2 were welded together into one piece. a 1/2" of steel was also added at the rear, both to smooth it out, and add some weight to resist the action of the cartridge.

the receiver is about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4" shorter than the std ak receiver.

the bbl is from a sten kit with a stepped sleeve on it to get it to fit into the trunion, which was bored out to the std ak dimentions. the mag well is *almost* stock sten parts welded in.(the ejector was cut off, and the rivet was replaced with a screw.)

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    now thats a VERY long story.

the front trunion was made from a billet of steel. prob the most labor intensive part on any build ive done yet.

the bolt was slightly shortened from the rear, the carrier was trimmed to allow the bolt to set back in further, then the 2 were welded together into one piece. a 1/2" of steel was also added at the rear, both to smooth it out, and add some weight to resist the action of the cartridge.

the receiver is about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4" shorter than the std ak receiver.

the bbl is from a sten kit with a stepped sleeve on it to get it to fit into the trunion, which was bored out to the std ak dimentions. the mag well is *almost* stock sten parts welded in.(the ejector was cut off, and the rivet was replaced with a screw.)
    Thanks for the info... I'm gonna try it... I may have more questions for ya down the line...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    "special" tools??

what do you have now??

i have bought very little as far as "special" tool for ak building, but i did have a mill, lathe, and welder, among other things, before i started ak building, that helps

as far as special tools, i made my first bending jig(hammer type), total cost about $12, had a buddy who uses my shop recently buy a press type jig and donate it to the shop. (about $100) makes things go alot quicker.

also took an old discarded (broken) pair of bolt cutters to make a rivet tool.
    no can do.

My engaged-to-sis-in-law loves building stuff, I keep hoping to get him to help me with something like this. He goes shooting with us sometimes, but isnt into it enough for all this.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bige64 View Post
    Thanks for the info... I'm gonna try it... I may have more questions for ya down the line...
    i would suggest joining over at gunsnet.net.

there are others that have done it there and given much more detailed build descriptions than i fell i could ever do!!

there is a how to (not sure if its there or on a member (rodger) website) on modding the origional frt trunnion that would be much easier than what i did, im a bit of a perfectionist, though, and i decided id rather make one to the specs i needed rather than mod one to try to get what i needed out of an existing one.

also a good write up on the bolt/carrier modifications.

the hardest part of these builds, ive found, and then been told after i asked "why" is getting the empty to be thrown free from the receiver. takes a bit of tinkering, youll deffinatley want to test it to get it to run right before you button it all up, as there's a good chance there might be more cutting/welding/grinding, after you THINK your already done!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast