Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default York Daily Record Editorial 8/10

The york daily record had an interesting Editorial today:

Packing heat: Do you have a right in Pennsylvania to wear a gun on your hip as you run errands or otherwise live your daily life? Absolutely - assuming you're not a felon or otherwise legally forbidden to own a firearm.

You have a Second Amendment right to bear arms, and you have a right under state law to carry an unconcealed weapon - though you do need a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

But having a right to do something doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. The Westboro Baptist Church has a First Amendment right to protest at soldiers' funerals. But that's an appalling and disrespectful breach of common courtesy and decorum.

Walking around with a gun for all to see is not on the level of what the Westboro wingnuts do, of course, but there's something unsettling about the practice. People who feel the need to advertise their guns seem overly paranoid, and they make other people nervous.

That's probably part of the point. The subliminal (maybe even overt) message is: Don't mess with me.

OK.

Coming through loud and clear.

But is "don't tread on me" really the off-putting message they want to send to others as they grocery shop or stop for an ice cream cone? The folks who attended an open carry picnic in Shrewsbury Township last weekend appeared to be decent, law-abiding folks. Are they sure they want to send a "back off" message to people they casually interact with?

It's not just criminals who can be put off by such an advertisement of weaponry. It's everyone.

And there are some situations where it's clearly inappropriate to pack unconcealed (or even concealed) heat: School property, children's sporting events, government buildings - city council chambers. To name just a few.

We support Second Amendment rights. But with every right, there's a smart way to exercise them and a not-so-smart way.

Consider this a little friendly fashion advice.

Once again, we are scaring the children.
    RIP -The US constitution.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: York Daily Record Editorial 8/10

To me it says; "I am not a prohibited person and I am here to help, if needed"
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by NY Refugee View Post
    And there are some situations where it's clearly inappropriate to pack unconcealed (or even concealed) heat: School property, children's sporting events, government buildings - city council chambers. To name just a few.
    should we thank them for naming (just a few) of the obvious places you cant carry a weapon? Its not INAPPROPRIATE, its ILLEGAL. Good job on researching a subject that you felt like spewing rhetoric about.
    When can a RIGHT to do something just be left up to the person who chooses to exercise it? I hate the media
    Last edited by MicroMonkey; August 10th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Link to the anonymous editorial at ydr.

http://www.ydr.com/opinion/ci_18649511
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Chester County)

I guess it would have been inappropriate to have a firearm or two at a Norwegian children's camp.

This is what gets me about the anti-gun rhetoric, including my wife's - it's always things like "your only going to the grocery store - do you really have to carry?" or "There are always a lot of police in that neighborhood".

If you can tell me when I will need it with a 100% guarantee then that's when I will carry. If you can't do that it's like insurance - you had always better have it because nobody knows when will need it.

It's like that yahoo in the video from California trying to outlaw OC. "There are sworn officers who will protect you - you don't need to protect yourself."

AAAGGGGGGGGGGG

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Since they used a pic of me, do you think they are trying to give me fashion advice? LOL
    LOL, I am a woman...

(York County)

Walking around with a gun for all to see is not on the level of what the Westboro wingnuts do, of course, but there's something unsettling about the practice. People who feel the need to advertise their guns seem overly paranoid, and they make other people nervous.
    THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THE POINT I MADE HERE:

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...ink-about.html

(Dauphin County)

Once again, we are scaring the children.
    Where do people keep getting this line from? The only reason children get scared of things like this is because their parents and the "bubble" they are raised in tells them it should be so.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by daustin View Post
    Where do people keep getting this line from? The only reason children get scared of things like this is because their parents and the "bubble" they are raised in tells them it should be so.
    no, they are correct, we are scarring the children. The children who are employed by the YDR, who think they are the anointed ones and only one's educated enough to understand the constitution, and KNOW when bad things will happen.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by daustin View Post
    Ah, you beat me to that point by just a few mins.
    Jesus is Lord !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast