Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frommer Baby

(Cumberland County)

Default Frommer Baby

Have always liked the look of Frommer's and when I saw the Frommer Baby - I had to have one. Thanks again to another great PAfOA member, I now have one Can't wait to take her to the range. I researched this one by the serial number ( 350,4xx ) and found some nice info :
    "At around 350,000, Fegyvergyar began manufacturing Babys again after stopping briefly some time around/after WWI. Most were proofed for civilian market, but a FEW were military proofed with just the Hungarian crest ( mine is just proofed with the Hungarian crest ) and were issued to pilots of the Hungarian Air Force.
    ( Really, Hungarian Air Force - hmmm ). Pretty neat stuff. Any Frommer experts out there ?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Frommer Baby

Never heard of nor saw such a thing...
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(York County)

Wow, neat find. There's a .32acp Frommer for sale locally that I've had to set my heart to keep from buying. Talk about a historical piece. It was designed for the Austrian Hungarian Empire in World War 1. If I remember correctly they use a long recoil system with the upper part buffering the recoil on the barrel beneath it. Complicated, but they were popular well into WW2, so that says they must have worked pretty well.

How does it work? Inquiring minds want to know.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    Wow, neat find. There's a .32acp Frommer for sale locally that I've had to set my heart to keep from buying. Talk about a historical piece. It was designed for the Austrian Hungarian Empire in World War 1. If I remember correctly they use a long recoil system with the upper part buffering the recoil on the barrel beneath it. Complicated, but they were popular well into WW2, so that says they must have worked pretty well.

How does it work? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Yes, long recoil system with 2 springs. I just got it today - surprisingly clean - have cleaned it up and lubed it a bit, all dry fires fine - will try to get to the range in the next few days. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the one you were looking at going for ? Was it a regular Frommer Stop or a Baby ? I haven't seen many Babies for sale, and have never seen one in person til today when I received mine !

(Lackawanna County)

What a strange little creature. Be sure to post a range report if you get a chance.

Thanks for sharing.

(Clinton County)

Do you pull that knob on the back to rack the slide?

Very cool

(York County)

Surprisingly have never seen it before.....now I need to spend some time online tomorrow on wikipedia. Thanks for posting!

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Cumberland County)

yupper, exactly. pretty unique piece, ahead of it's time. frommer actually made 7.65 ammo for it which i heard was a pretty hot load, i hope modern 32 acp works well in it ! just a neat little piece - i'd be curious if anyone else has ever seen one in person, i haven't and like i said, i've only ever seen one other one for sale on line and guy wants a ton for it. i'll shoot a post out after i get her to the range.

(Cumberland County)

See if you can figure out operation by this post I found on how it works - I'm still trying to figure it out - lol :

As stated before, the Frommer Stop functions by long recoil, locked breech operation. The breech is locked by a rotating bolt that locks into recesses in the barrel extension. The operating sequence goes something like this: When the cartridge fires, the bolt and barrel are locked together, and recoil rearward for a distance that is greater than the length of the cartridge. The barrel and bolt each have their own recoil springs, housed in the spring tunnel on top of the frame. At the end of the rearward travel, the bolt is held back by the bolt catch, and the barrel is free to return, powered by its’ recoil spring. As the barrel returns forward, it pulls away from the bolt, causing the bolt head to rotate and unlock. The fired case is held against the bolt face by the extractor, and the barrel actually pulls away from the case, not the other way around. As the case clears the chamber, an ejector kicks it out the ejection port. When the barrel returns all the way forward, it trips the bolt catch and the bolt snaps forward, powered by its’ separate recoil spring. On its way forward, the bolt strips the next round from the magazine, and the gun is ready to fire again. Simple, huh?

(Clinton County)

I bet that thing is going to like +p loads.

would like to see a video review if your in to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast