Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default PA resident who works in NJ: legal to have firearm in fixed place of business?

Now this is purely a hypothetical. I'm a PA resident who works in NJ. The business I work at is a privately owned establishment, and I know the owner (he's my direct boss). Assuming said owner knew and approved of it, what are the legal requirements of me (PA resident) keeping a firearm in said fixed place of business for purposes of defense?

There is only one other employee who works there other than me and the owner, and neither the owner, myself, nor the third worker are felons or are barred from access to a firearm for any reason that I know of; however they are both NJ residents and neither of them have a FOID. So I'm thinking I'd technically not be allowed to keep a gun there unless I'm always there. But I'm not sure.

Or is this a case of "you need a FOID or else."

Once again, just a hypothetical, not saying I'm doing such a thing, but I was curious as to legality of such a situation.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PA resident who works in NJ: legal to have firearm in fixed place of business?

I'm not completely up on NJ laws, but no matter what - you need a FOID card. I'm pretty sure nonresidents can get them too. And I think the firearm has to be registered.

Default Re: PA resident who works in NJ: legal to have firearm in fixed place of business?

I think it's an awesome idea, the law books need a good spanking with a red pen before it can be implemented though...

<Just in case someone notices the IP address, this is not a sock puppet, I am the employee Geoff mentioned>

(Philadelphia County)

I would say tread lightly and become VERY acquainted with the laws in NJ. Honestly you'd probably have better luck talking to a similar group in NJ than here. Most of know nothing about New Jersey except to avoid it at all costs.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

check this link
    http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag2.html

I honestly don't know about your situation because you are a non res of NJ.

If it were your business I'm fairly certain a hangun is legal in your abode or place of business. As an employee I'm not sure.

Try contacting the AG as well.

Hey let us know what you find out!
    FUCK BIDEN

knight0334
    I'm not completely up on NJ laws, but no matter what - you need a FOID card. I'm pretty sure nonresidents can get them too. And I think the firearm has to be registered.
    NON residents can get and FID card. (this is not required to bring a gun to NJ for a lawful purpose)
    You don't have to register any firearms if you move them into NJ. (this is some sort of myth that won't seem to die)

Please try not to make us look any worse here.

FWI I think it would be legal to do what you are describing. I think you should get you boss allowing guns in the office in writing though.
    Best gun lawyer in NJ is Evan Nappen. I would consult with him first.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

(Pike County)

Check with a lawyer, Nappen is the #1 in NJ. Most NJ police departments will not process an FID application for someone who is not a resident of their jurisdiction. I do not believe that to keep a gun in NJ as a Pa resident for defense would be a lawful purpose under NJ law. You may transport a gun into NJ to a gunsmith or an authorized place of use, or in transit through the state, but those are about it for lawful purposes. You do not even want to go to a DD for coffee while traveling in NJ with the gun. Direct route only. The simple answer for this is for the owner of the business to get an FID, which would allow him to keep a long gun that he legally owns on his property. If it is to be a handgun, then he would also get a Permit to purchase a Handgun, buy the gun and keep it on his property. I would also believe that if you left the your gun at his business that this could be considered an illegal transfer, as he does not have the proper paperwork for the gun and he is in control of the weapon (and assummedly not a FFL holder). I moved to Pa from NJ about a year and a half ago, and had lived in NJ collecting guns and at some times carrying them for work for a long time. It is very easy to run afoul of NJ gun laws. Also, as is noted with some in Pa, most NJ police officers are not legal experts and will take you in and let the DA and judge work it out, much to the emptyness of your wallet. Check with a lawyer that is fluent in NJ gun laws!

(Lehigh County)

Check with a lawyer that is fluent in NJ gun laws!
    Funny, I didn't know that anyone (lawyer or not) spoke gibberish.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Pike County)

I have known many lawyers that speak not only gibberish but the dreaded legaleaze!!!!!

(Lehigh County)

A non-resident (or even resident) permit to carry a firearm in New Jersistan? Now that's funny.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast