Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm dilemma

(Lehigh County)

Default 9mm dilemma

A month and a half ago I bought a Springfield XDM 9mm based on the overwhelming amount of positive feedback its been getting, as well as the recommendation of a friend who owns one.

But as I fire it more, and try out different pistols, I'm wondering if it was the right choice. I have big hands, and even with the meatiest backstrap on, it feels small in my grip, like I can't get a good, solid hold on it. I recently held a Beretta 92fs and wow, it felt incredibly natural. I wasn't able to fire it at the time, but it felt better in my hands. Even a 1911, with its relatively thin grip, feels more natural (I was talked out of a .45 based on ammo prices, but I'm starting to regret that).

I'm starting to feel like I got swept up in the popularity and recommendations of what is an extremely well-made pistol without considering the question, "It's fantastic, but is it right for me?"

I don't know if there's a single bottom-line question here; it's more of a request for feedback. Am I nuts for considering selling/trading the XDM for a 92fs? Or possibly a good 1911? Any other suggestions for guys with big hands?

(Mercer County)

Default Re: 9mm dilemma

Nuts; nope, it has to fit/feel right... Ironic, I have a Beretta M9, and it's grip is way too small/short for me, the trigger in SA is too far back for my hand, and the super long front strap flare only adds to the poor fit for me. My wife enjoys shooting it, can rack the slide easily, and shoots it accurately, so for now it stays. As for a gun (auto) that might fit, I have yet to find one I really, really feel "fits". Fit even with really large hands is not simply a matter of "larger" grip in my experience, it also relates to how the spur/beavertail is positioned, and most importantly the trigger guard size and location, undercut or not.

For me to have any hope of a good two handed hold, the trigger guard has to sweep upwardly pretty aggressively, or be small to begin with if not. For me, a 1911 feels pretty good with large grips. Good luck, and you might look at a hi-cap 1911 in 9mm!

(Montgomery County)

No, you're not nuts at all. You need a gun that you shoot well, and that feels right to you. I had an XDm, also have big hands, and felt the same way about it.

For me, in full size 9's, I favor the Beretta 92Fs, and the Glock 17.

FWIW, Tanner's in Jamison PA, has some good deals right now on the 92FS, the INOX, and the M9:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sel...px?User=250902

As for a 1911:
    I also find them very easy to grip and shoot. Buy both? :-)
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Allegheny County)

For me the guns I shoot best are the ones that feel best in my hand. Regardless if one is technically more accurate than the other. That's why I love my P30 so much. It fits like a glove. If you're looking for something compact with better ergonomics you should look at the PX4 series if you like Beretta or one of the smaller Sig's or HK's.

(Centre County)

To OP: the HK P7M13 has a grip that feels like a 2x4 piece of lumber. You'd love it. On top of that, it is a sweet shooter.

I've encountered the same thing and just sold a S&W M&P9 with only about 200 rounds through it simply because I couldn't shoot it well. I've owned other guns that fit my hand more naturally and that I could shoot much better... so the search for another 9mm will continue.

But no, if the gun doesn't fit you right, sell it or trade it for one that does.

(York County)

I own them both... a 92F (20+yrs now) you can't go wrong with a 92 IMO, super guns! And a XDM-40 another super nice gun.
    They definitely have a different feel, the XDM has a much flatter feel with no roundness for your palm. I have run mine with a Houge Handall slip on grip (you should cut a notch out for the grip safety) and it really feels nice, a lot fuller and fitted with it on. (it has a palm swell and finger grooves) It may be worth a try before giving up and selling your XDM. They only cost a few bucks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=662386
    Last edited by Beardog; August 9th, 2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added link

(Lackawanna County)

Sell it buy a glock!

(Bucks County)

I love my Glocks for carry and defense, but if you are looking for a good range gun... shoot a bunch of them, and buy whatever you like/shoot best.

(Washington County)

I would take a step back, and not only hold a few different models, but after holding and evaluating the gun based on feel, I would make a list of different guns, and either go to a range and rent each one, or get together at a POFOA groupshoot, or meet up with someone on here that owns a gun on your list, and put at least 20-30 rounds through each, to see how they feel to you when shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by silvertiger27 View Post
    A month and a half ago I bought a Springfield XDM 9mm based on the overwhelming amount of positive feedback its been getting, as well as the recommendation of a friend who owns one.

But as I fire it more, and try out different pistols, I'm wondering if it was the right choice. I have big hands, and even with the meatiest backstrap on, it feels small in my grip, like I can't get a good, solid hold on it. I recently held a Beretta 92fs and wow, it felt incredibly natural. I wasn't able to fire it at the time, but it felt better in my hands. Even a 1911, with its relatively thin grip, feels more natural (I was talked out of a .45 based on ammo prices, but I'm starting to regret that).

I'm starting to feel like I got swept up in the popularity and recommendations of what is an extremely well-made pistol without considering the question, "It's fantastic, but is it right for me?"

I don't know if there's a single bottom-line question here; it's more of a request for feedback. Am I nuts for considering selling/trading the XDM for a 92fs? Or possibly a good 1911? Any other suggestions for guys with big hands?
    Last edited by dmcdonnell; August 10th, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast