Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 9mm AR PISTOL Build Questions...

I want to build a 9mm AR on a pistol lower. Does anything special have to be done, or is it as simple as swapping uppers and inserting the mag adapter? Do the 9mm need the same buffer tubes? What about the rest of the lower, all good?

Thanks for any help, or links if this has been talked about before. I already have 1 AR pistol and love it, but I haven't decided if I want to use that lower for my 9mm build.
    Last edited by itstock; January 11th, 2008 at 04:47 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 9mm AR PISTOL Build Questions...

Why did this get moved to the pistol section? It's about AR-15's, I guess it helps to read the post before just assuming by the title!
    Last edited by itstock; January 27th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Hi, i use the same buffer (stock) and lower for 9mm and .223. I have an oly arms 9mm upper and use a socom block with sten mags. Mine is a sbr, it started life at 10.5" now at 5.5" with a swr trident 9 on it. I honestly never switch it back to 223 anymore. I've had it for a few years now and it has always run great---although, sten mags are a pain to load without a loader but heck, they only cost $5 each.

(Allegheny County)

Did you cut the barrel, buy the barrel separate, or did you buy a complete upper with 5.5"?

The reason I ask is because I can't find any complete uppers smaller than 7.5".

(Allegheny County)

Anyone know where I can buy a complete upper that is under 7.5"???

And I got this in the mail today for the build...

It comes in a nice little pouch with a belt loop and all...

And 100 rounds through an AR pistol should be fun! Not practical, but fun! This is purely for range enjoyment.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    Did you cut the barrel, buy the barrel separate, or did you buy a complete upper with 5.5"?

The reason I ask is because I can't find any complete uppers smaller than 7.5".
    I bought mine (oly upper) at 16" actually 10.5 and 5.5 pinned on flash hider. Then i sbr'd it and took off the pinned FH. After that, i decided to go even shorter and had it cut down to 5.5" by a local shop put on a male 3 lug adapter and 7" LW yhm rail and tuck my swr trident 9 inside the rail. The suppressor still sticks out from the rail about 4".

If i were you, it looks like you are going with a colt style 9mm since the beta drum---i'd get a tros 5" 3 lug barrel and build the upper yourself. That way when you get a can (you know you will) you can just get the female 3 lug adapter for the can and you'll be good to go.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I bought mine (oly upper) at 16" actually 10.5 and 5.5 pinned on flash hider. Then i sbr'd it and took off the pinned FH. After that, i decided to go even shorter and had it cut down to 5.5" by a local shop put on a male 3 lug adapter and 7" LW yhm rail and tuck my swr trident 9 inside the rail. The suppressor still sticks out from the rail about 4".

If i were you, it looks like you are going with a colt style 9mm since the beta drum---i'd get a tros 5" 3 lug barrel and build the upper yourself. That way when you get a can (you know you will) you can just get the female 3 lug adapter for the can and you'll be good to go.
    Yes, I am definitely going with the colt style 9mm. I have considered building the upper myself, but I don't know how much money I would actually save. And I DO plan on getting a can. I have considered putting together my own upper, but I don't know if it's worth the time of buying all of the parts. I think that in my mind, I am just making it more complicated than it actually is. I just found the TROS site and see that they can make uppers though!

(Montgomery County)

itstock,

you can check here also for just the 3 lug barrel http://title2.com/index.html. When it comes to suppressors, i like the 3 lug much better than a plain thread on can.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    itstock,

you can check here also for just the 3 lug barrel http://title2.com/index.html. When it comes to suppressors, i like the 3 lug much better than a plain thread on can.
    Here is what I will end up buying...just a complete 9mm upper. The price wasn't a killer deal, but it was more than fair, and saves me the trouble of piecing everything together only to "barely" make out. I also read that finding the TROS barrels are a major pain in the ass, and there is a long waiting list.

RRA 9mm upper (duracoated OD green), RRA bolt, RRA carrier, Midwest industries Free Float 7", RRA brl nut, 9" Tros three lug brl, HK three lug flash hider, some magpul green ladders, also comes with the DPMS hammer.

I will probably end up selling the 9" barrel and going with the 5", but I'll make the decision once I have it in my hands. I just need to decide which mag block I am going to get, the Hahn top or bottom loader (non-dedicated).
    Last edited by itstock; January 27th, 2008 at 08:12 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like a nice set up. I'd keep the 9" barrel---147g ammo will still be sub sonic through the suppressor---when you get it. The problem with the 5" barrel is that you'll never be able to use the hk 3 lug flash hider because you will not be able to get inside the 7" FF rail to put it on---ask me how i know. The 5" doesn't bother me now because my suppressor is on full time. Plus, it makes the overall length shorter with the suppressor. That was part of the reason i cut it down from 10.5" to 5.5". I'd at least keep the 9" on it until you get the suppressor and then see how you like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast