Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: list of laws

(Luzerne County)

Smile list of laws

Im new, so if this question was anwered a billion times, im sorry. i was wondering if there was a website that CLEARLY listed where you can carry, and other rules associated withe the concealed weapons permit. My boyfriend finally got his, and I'd prefer to know. Thanks for all the help.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: list of laws

you can start with this http://members.aol.com/StatutesP1/18.Cp.5.html I think there is a site that summarizes all State laws, I am sure someone will post it.

(Luzerne County)

thanks, and do you know anything about when you can and cant shoot? like, for instance if a person broke into our home.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by glamwhambam View Post
    thanks, and do you know anything about when you can and cant shoot? like, for instance if a person broke into our home.
    that info is contained in the link above. check sections 505, 506, and 507. basically, you have a duty to retreat outside of your home. however, the law says you must retreat (or give up your wallet/property) only if you can do so "with complete safety".

here are some other links:

http://www.packing.org/state/pennsylvania/

(note that the packing.org site states it is illegal to carry in state parks. carrying in state parks is not illegal per se, but is a violation of state park regulations. violating state park regulations is illegal and can get you in trouble...however, you would not be breaking any actual firearms laws.)

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/PASL.pdf

and here is the actual text of the PA Uniform Firearms act:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/st...nnsylvania.pdf

you also must keep in mind that federal law prohibits carrying in federal buildings, certain parts of airports, etc.

basically, in PA you can carry everywhere except

-federal buildings and certain parts of airports (as per federal law)
    -court houses
    -national parks (as per federal law...though legislation has been introduced in congress to change this)
    -state parks (not that it is explicity illegal, but it is a violation of state park regulations)
    -you cannot carry a semi-auto while hunting...or even on state game land during hunting season while not hunting (though legislation has passed the state house and been sent to the state senate repealing this)

there is also a general law against carrying in schools. however, there is a provision in that law excepting carrying for "all legal purposes", and ccw is a legal purpose. i would not want to be the one to test a liberal judge on that one, but by the letter of the law, it is not illegal.

private property owners can restrict carry on their private property. however, all they can do is ask you to leave. if you do not leave, then you are breaking the law by tresspassing. however, if, for example, you are a student at a private university, they can make a regulation against carrying and expel you for doing so.

i think that about sums it up. if anyone has additions or corrections, please make them.

keep in mind that i am not a lawyer and am not providing legal advice and, since i am not a lawyer, you would be an idiot to follow my legal advice even if i were giving legal advice which i am not.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; November 17th, 2006 at 06:30 PM.