Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What is a good "get up and go" gun?

I'm in the market for a smaller gun that I can grab and put in my pocket if I'm going somewhere fast. For example, I drove my sister home last night and I took my NAA .22mag, which is basically a "in your face" gun, because I was wearing basketball shorts and my Glock 23 was too big for them. I want something that I can just grab and go but also something that I can rely on if I have to shoot further. I was thinking maybe a Kahr P380 because of it's size but I figure If I'm going get the .380 maybe I should just get the 9mm instead.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What is a good "get up and go" gun?

I have the Ruger LCP and could not be happier with it. I have the CT Laser and keep it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

You do have to practice a bit with small firearms like this to get used to the grip and recoil.

Ruger LCP, Sig P290, Sig P238 (.380), Taurus 709 slim (my favorite), Kahr, Kel Tec (my least favorite).
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

I am not big on pocket carry but with that said, I have done it and have a suggestion (yes I have my flame retardent gear on )

Currently I OC a Taurus Judge 3X3 and BUG carry (CC) a Taurus Public Defender "poly". It took a few days for my DeSantis holster to come for the PD so I pocket carried it. It worked "OK" but I personally would not want to do this on a daily basis. It would however fit well in cargo style pockets.

I will not try to sell you on the .45 LC/410 000 buckshot for self defense. That is definitely fuel for another thread. But do consider the largest caliber you can find that comes in a sub-compact size. MANY EXIST!

I will however officially suggest the PD. It comes in many weights/configurations. I have it loaded with Buffalo Bore .45 LC wadcutters. I am extremely satisfied with the accuracy. http://www.taurususa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=38

I always carry at least 1 gun on my person even when at home. Please reconsider the pocket carry and get used to OC or CC at home 100% of the time so you are always ready to run out the door AND you have protection with you 100% of the time - on the throne, in the kitchen, walking through the hall.......You get the idea.

Good luck with the tough decision.

(Berks County)

What about a revolver? I carry a Ruger LCR .38 with a front XS dot sight. This model also comes with the smaller boot grip. The gun weighs next to nothing and I can easily wear it with gym shorts - utilizing my IWB holster. I don't pocket carry because it's not comfortable or practical to me. YMMV

(Allegheny County)

I have the LCR 38 spl crimson Trace and also boot grip and a naa pug 22mag I carry the pug because it's a true pocket gun the LCR in a pair of Addidas or Nike shorts in the pocket to big for me and I am 6'1" 270 lb powerlifter so I am not a small guy for IWB dont know never tried. I have done a lot of looking for a pocket 9mm I put all these in a pair of workout shorts to try side by side for me the LC9 is big not much smaller than my LCR, the kahr pm9 or cm9 is way to small in my hands just not for me plus a 200 round breakin also they are tight as hell makes me worry about the reliabilty and if you ship it back for warranty $50 each time no thanks. My choice is the db9 diamondback pros feels good in the hand, is the smallest 9mm out there, can get a CT for it, night sights are in the process and I know to guys at the gunshop that have them with no feed issues but they work there so who knows. Cons are I had a db 380 that was unbelievably accurate but had feed issues and the slide doesn't stay open on the last round but as a pocket pistol with 7 round of 9mm I highly doubt I will be reloading. The feed issues I had with the DB380 worries me a little but I am going to take the chance, why bother even buying the other ones listed if I know I am going to take the NAA pug instead of them. I am hoping this DB9 feeds well. JMO
    Last edited by bman1187; August 9th, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

my vote goes for the 238...as usual lol
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: What is a good "get up and go" gun?

Kimber Ultra Covert and Taurus Model 65 are my preferred pocket guns!

(Cumberland County)

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by LarryD1130 View Post
    I'm in the market for a smaller gun that I can grab and put in my pocket if I'm going somewhere fast. For example, I drove my sister home last night and I took my NAA .22mag, which is basically a "in your face" gun, because I was wearing basketball shorts and my Glock 23 was too big for them. I want something that I can just grab and go but also something that I can rely on if I have to shoot further. I was thinking maybe a Kahr P380 because of it's size but I figure If I'm going get the .380 maybe I should just get the 9mm instead.
    Kahr PM9 or P380.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast