Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Smith and Wesson 940 Price Check, How Much is too Much?

Well, I found one. I know these have skyrocketed in price over the last few years. I know a few you have 'em. The one in question is in great shape, no box, but I'm not buying it for it's collectors value.

How much is too much? I'm getting ready to dump off some stuff to drum up some cash.

Edit; The gun in question is, priced at $750, but I'm if the opinion that I could get at least 75 knocked off. I think it's been sitting for a while.

I guess that leads to another question. Will the value of these J frames continue to rise? Or have we reached the ceiling?
    Last edited by rwb1500; August 8th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Elk County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson 940 Price Check, How Much is too Much?

Collectors are propping up the price of 940s, 696s, 317s, and prelock S&W revolvers.

I used to own two 940s, both were "no dash" models and both had extraction problems -- you almost had to hammer the ejector rod to knock loose the empties because the chamber walls had so many tool marks. I polished the chambers with a Brownells chamber hone set and while extraction improved, it still sucked. So I cashed the pieces of shit in at like $600-$650 or so a couple years ago. I kept the two 9mm Ruger SP101s because the cases would fall out of them. Hear that, S&W? It can be done if the workmanship is there.

My advice? If it's a -1 or -2, the extraction should be OK and it's up to you to justify whatever price you can negotiate. However, check the chambers and see if they are smooth and polished, or have ANY tool marks first. And if it's a "no dash," I'd walk away, because I did. Didn't want to, but I couldn't make the things reliable.

As for where the price will end up, any comment I would make could be construed as a forward-looking statement which is frowned upon by the SEC. Besides, my crystal ball is only as good as anyone else's. But my general advice is to only buy a gun if you intend to shoot and enjoy it, first. Capital appreciation is secondary, because that is a function of what someone else will pay at that point in the future.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson 940 Price Check, How Much is too Much?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Collectors are propping up the price of 940s, 696s, 317s, and prelock S&W revolvers.

I used to own two 940s, both were "no dash" models and both had extraction problems -- you almost had to hammer the ejector rod to knock loose the empties because the chamber walls had so many tool marks. I polished the chambers with a Brownells chamber hone set and while extraction improved, it still sucked. So I cashed the pieces of shit in at like $600-$650 or so a couple years ago. I kept the two 9mm Ruger SP101s because the cases would fall out of them. Hear that, S&W? Lol It can be done if the workmanship is there.
    I was not aware of these extraction problems. I'll have to take a closer look at the gun.
    My advice? If it's a -1 or -2, the extraction should be OK and it's up to you to justify whatever price you can negotiate. However, check the chambers and see if they are smooth and polished, or have ANY tool marks first. And if it's a "no dash," I'd walk away, because I did. Didn't want to, but I couldn't make the things reliable.

As for where the price will end up, any comment I would make could be construed as a forward-looking statement which is frowned upon by the SEC. Ha. Besides, my crystal ball is only as good as anyone else's. But my general advice is to only buy a gun if you intend to shoot and enjoy it, first. That is most definitely my intention. However, I may start looking for a Ruger alternative, something I never thought I'd say. Capital appreciation is secondary, because that is a function of what someone else will pay at that point in the future.

Noah
    Much thanks.

Eta; I must spread the rep.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here