Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Savage Axis terrible trigger need good gunsmith

I just bought a Savage Axis in .243 for my Dad and I need the trigger...well adjusted or just simply replaced.It come from the factory at 5 lbs, my Dad has arthritis and its just too much for him.(I didn't consider it) What kind of son am I? But I live in Manheim Pa 17545, and I want someone trust worthy and not too expensive thats why I bought him the Axis.Thank you everyone.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Savage Axis terrible trigger need good gunsmith

did some research for a trigger system for the axis. could not find a good option for you. savages site says any mods will void warranty. you should contact savage directly and ask if they could install a accutrigger on your rifle. i like this trigger on my 10 series rifle and they are adjustable. dad deserves a good trigger, bite the bullet and spend the $,

(Lancaster County)

I called Savage today and they said there is no way to have the trigger worked on in any way even by them that will not void the warranty.I would have spent the extra money but my Dad is very frugal and would have given me all kinds of crap for spending too much so I am going to buy an aftermarket trigger group and screw the warranty!! But I still need a good gunsmith in my area. Thank you everyone!!

I advise folks to avoid the Axis/Edge because there isn't a whole lot you can do to upgrade these bottom line rifles. You should have gone with a Stevens 200 since they are inexpensive and can be upgraded.

Anyway, you can mod your trigger yourself or you can replace the trigger with an aftermarket trigger.

Here is a good link for info on the Axis/Edge

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,36088.0.html

(Monroe County)

The trigger isn't that bad. It's about 5 1/2 lbs of pull. It has no creep take-up or over travel. It's a hunting rifle. That's how it should be. It's not a target gun or a bench gun. You can always read on the savage forums about how to cut the spring or replace the trigger spring as stated in the above link. It will lighten it. I'm more than content with the trigger tho since it is a hunting rifle. I was able to attain less than half inch groups at 100 yards with a bipod.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lancaster County)

Again I chose a rifle for my father but his severe arthritis makes it way too mush trigger pull and causes his hand to burn and go numb,yes its my fault I should have spent a little more but it was a gift and he would have flipped had I spent much more than I did. That being said again no 5 lbs is not good that Savage told me the triggers are anywhere from 5- 6.5 lbs when they leave the factory door.
    I am now looking at some after market triggers that you everyone.

(Monroe County)

Timney makes an adjustable trigger along with another company. It's over 1/3 the price of the gun tho. If you really desire the adjustable trigger that's you're best route. They should be dropin and ready to go. But again for me personally a trigger that costs 1/3 the price of the gun isn't worth it to me. But for your situation its either the new trigger or trade in the gun for another savage with the accutrigger.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lebanon County)

Here's an answer to the question you asked:
    Check with Bob Enck at Enck's Gun Barn in Newmanstown, He should be roughly 20 - 25 miles from you.

His attitude can be a bit surly, especially if you buy a gun from someone else then take it to him for work but I've had him do work on a few guns for me and he did a good job, did it quickly (by gunsmith standards) and his prices weren't out of line.

Another option would be an older fellow who works from his home in Lebanon, he's the one that Shyda's Gun Shop always recommends. I've also had him do some work for me and haven't been disappointed in the work or the price. He's got quite a backlog so if you're looking to have it done in time for deer season you'd best contact him soon to see what his schedule is and make an appointment.
    PM inbound with contact info.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lancaster County)

I had the same problem with my edge. I went to Ballistic Engineering and had the trigger done. He got it down to about 2.5 lbs. Cost me around 130 but well worth it.
    If I remember right, there is a topic somewhere on here about it. Since (as far as I know) the edge and axis are the same gun, it should be no problem. He used another trigger assembly and gave the original back to me. This way, should anything happen, the entire package is still under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by toddclites View Post
    I just bought a Savage Axis in .243 for my Dad and I need the trigger...well adjusted or just simply replaced.It come from the factory at 5 lbs, my Dad has arthritis and its just too much for him.(I didn't consider it) What kind of son am I? But I live in Manheim Pa 17545, and I want someone trust worthy and not too expensive thats why I bought him the Axis.Thank you everyone.
    Should have bought a model with the accutrigger.

This will do it - but not cheap.......

Timney AXIS trigger $105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast