Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Savage Axis terrible trigger need good gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I advise folks to avoid the Axis/Edge because there isn't a whole lot you can do to upgrade these bottom line rifles. You should have gone with a Stevens 200 since they are inexpensive and can be upgraded.

Anyway, you can mod your trigger yourself or you can replace the trigger with an aftermarket trigger.

Here is a good link for info on the Axis/Edge

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,36088.0.html

Carefully study the posting referred to by Aubie515: It is easy to improve the edge/axis trigger to make it a good trigger, crisp, lighter, but still safe for hunting. Nothing you do should void the warrantee because you can put everything back together the way it was. I did this mod myself using a nylon screw and it works perfectly.

If you don't want to do the mod, than purchase a Timney or Rifle Basix trigger. They run approximately $100 and are easy to install. My guess is that it would cost you about as much as a good gunsmith will likely charge you for his time and labor. Plus, you will probably get it done sooner.

There is nothing "wrong" with an axis/edge rifle. It is a good solid hunting rifle that actually is usually more accurate than most other out-of-the-box rifles. There can be exceptions, as there are for any brand or model, but generally, if you read the reviews by the people who actually own them, they are accurate and well liked. They are not 1000 yard benchrest rifles, but neither are they supposed to be.

You already purchased the rifle. My guess is that if you trade it in on something different, you will likely lose as much as it would cost to purchase an aftermarket trigger.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

All the best.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by toddclites View Post
    I just bought a Savage Axis in .243 for my Dad and I need the trigger...well adjusted or just simply replaced.It come from the factory at 5 lbs, my Dad has arthritis and its just too much for him.(I didn't consider it) What kind of son am I? But I live in Manheim Pa 17545, and I want someone trust worthy and not too expensive thats why I bought him the Axis.Thank you everyone.
    Maybe this is your solution:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=223896

...is designed to fit all Savage bolt-action center fire rifles manufactured since 1977 (excluding those rifles equipped with the AccuTriggerTM ).

Timney Rifle Trigger Savage 10 through 16, 110 through 116 without AccuTrigger 2 to 4 lb Blue

It doesn't list any exclusions and if you have a decent selection of good quality basic tools you should be able to install it yourself.
    I'm sure an email or 2 could verify that it will or will not work for your Axis, maybe someone here knows that answer and will chime in.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Maybe this is your solution:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=223896

Timney Rifle Trigger Savage 10 through 16, 110 through 116 without AccuTrigger 2 to 4 lb Blue

It doesn't list any exclusions and if you have a decent selection of good quality basic tools you should be able to install it yourself.
    I'm sure an email or 2 could verify that it will or will not work for your Axis, maybe someone here knows that answer and will chime in.
    I'm sharing this on some gun forums. Mainly the top 2-3 forums I find using google on the savage edge trigger. With hunting season coming up I wanted to share this. The new timney trigger just released in september and not a lot of people know about it. As usual with the web you have conflicting information on the subject of the savage trigger and I doubt most people are as ocd and careful as I am. I wanted something easy, safe, works great, and still retains our savage warranty. I've really put in over 4-5 hours of research and waited over a month to make my decision. I literally put my timney trigger in on 10/19/11. I don't work for timney, but last year when I was using my rifle I was disappointed in the savage. So much so that I started to look at used rifles online. I put a lot of money into hunting last year since that was the first year I went hunting and boy did I not go into it lightly. Rifle and Bow. Plus all the essentials and clothing. On some of my gear I went cheap. Paying for that now. Some things just did not fit me and I'm not talking about my clothing. My rifle being one of the them. I hated the bushnell scope and I got that upgraded. My trigger was very heavy. The savage edge ranges from 4.5 to 7.2 pounds. Mine was 7.1 and my accuracy suffered. I was in the ballpark, but with a brand new savage rifle I should be doing better. Even my uncle with 30+ years of hunting experience could not shoot 1" groups. He can shoot .5" groups with his rifle so it's not like he doesn't have the skill. Beginning in august I started researching in my spare time. I researched do it your self cheap methods, gun smiths, and after market triggers. Below is something I wrote on another website reviewing the timney trigger. I HIGHLY recommend the trigger. I hope my research and what I found will help you decide the right path. The worst thing about this is the cost of the gun is only in the $280-$400 range so it really hurts to pay this much. But.. when you fix the trigger, you have a rifle that has incredibly light weight, rugged, savage accurate, and you pop a great scope on there and you have a winning combo.

There are multiple ways to get the trigger fixed. You can risk cutting your current spring or use a mechanical pencil spring, but I really don’t recommend that since you are asking for trouble. If you look at the basix and timney triggers you adjust the weight and the seer and safety have to be adjusted. I wanted something safe and easy. The basix trigger is cheaper, but you have to change the WHOLE trigger assembly and not just the trigger. If you read the fine print you have to use loktight on the 4 setting adjustment knobs so it will be a bear to change if you got it wrong when installing it at home. Also, there seems to be a flaw with the trigger assembly since they tell you not to quickly reload using the bolt or you can damage the assembly. In other words their trigger is a bit flawed or touchy and can be damaged. I’d hate to be the guy that misses the deer and breaks his trigger trying to reload and shoot again. I literally just installed a timney trigger in my .308 savage edge last week. It was pretty much drop in. Remove two bolts to remove the action (rifle shell). Remove this little c shaped clamp on the side of the trigger so you can remove the bolt that attaches the trigger. Then put the old trigger, spring, and c clamp in a baggie. That way if anything should happen to your rifle you still will have your warranty by having all the original parts. You install the new spring, trigger, and use the original bolt and replacement c clamp (awesome on the clamp, they go flying when you take them off). Then adjust the seer. Basically you just turn the bolt until it fires and then loosen it up 60 degrees. There’s a little nut behind the seer bolt and you tighten it down with your fingers once it is set. Then you adjust your pull weight. You get to decide. It can be anything from 1.5 to 3 (or 3.5) pounds. Set mine to the lowest. Then adjust the safety bolt until you turn on the safety and loosen it in small increments until it finally can be turned on and off. Re-install the action. Test that safety works. Cock the gun and bump it hard against the floor several times to make sure it won’t misfire. Depending on the settings you may have to very slightly re-adjust the setting bolts. I was able to install mine in 12 minutes. Only 1/5 of that was actual install. The rest was triple re-reading the instructions and testing the rifle so it works and was at the weight I wanted. The timney is higher, but worth it. It is pretty much drop in. Mine (yours may vary) was pretty much set right, I just wanted a lighter trigger. I think mine was set around 3 pounds factory. It was very easy to install. No worries. You just need some allen wrenches (they include wrenches for the settings, but not the action that you have to remove to install the trigger) and a flat head screwdriver. The cool thing besides being easy to install is the settings stay in place so no loktight. You can remove one bolt and remove the trigger guard and then you can easily adjust your settings in the field if you want a heavier or lighter trigger or if you messed it up slightly. Your warranty is still valid, just don’t mail them your rifle with a timney trigger installed, re-install your old trigger. Many gunsmiths refuse to work on this rifle. Adjustments to the original trigger only get you so far. Plus, many gunsmiths use a timney trigger and you are just paying $75-$125 extra to have them do it for you and it really is easy. Just really bang the rifle when it is cocked (no ammo of course) and make sure it won’t accidentially fire. My trigger was super crisp, no overtravel, no play in the safety, and my rifle no longer moves slightly by pulling a heavy trigger. You add a timney trigger and one of those on sale nikon monarch 3-9×40 scopes on ebay for around $220 and you have a winning combo. I know you are paying the same amount as the rifle for both, but it really does make the rifle seem like a quality rifle. NIkon monarch clarity, light crisp trigger, and savage accuracy. You’ll be deadly on the range and against the whitetails in your area. I know the weight is minor, but it really really really does make a difference. I went from 1.5 to 3″ groups last year to .5″ groups this year. We owe it to ourselves (stress relief) and to the deer (by not missing) to add this to your rifle.

(Lebanon County)

I've used Timney triggers and have been really happy with them. They are affordable, reliable, and installation & adjustment are easy, that's why I didn't hesitate to suggest this one.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12